Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Finn
    replied
    I have delivered all of them and have no photos . I made them just like I make my larger boxes but bought smaller hinges for them. I just miter and glue the corners, glue on top and bottom and cut off the lid and install hinges. Easy peasey. I applied the image they wanted rather than inlay. It was a simple diamond shape. Very little of this done using a scroll saw.

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    On the small boxes, how did you build them? box joints, hinges ? Any pictures. I have been thinking about making some small decorative boxes again.

Leave a comment:

• Linda In Phoenix
    replied
    Thank you for sharing happy news! Congrats!

Leave a comment:

• Jim Finn
    replied
    At one of my early summer sales, I made a contact with a person that works with a local sorority and she ordered over 100 of flat Masonite items for the young ladies to decorate. She came back this fall with an order for 32 small cedar boxes . Very small 4"x3" x2" with hinged lids with very simple decorations. I like orders like this. More time spent making things than selling them. I am pretty good at selling but it bores me. MUCH prefer to make stuff than sell stuff! I usually get one or two orders like these most years.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Finn
    replied
    Stumbled into one last sale for this year at a remote neighborhood and had a great sale Saturday. Halloween. I sold 13 boxes and other items like toys. I did this sale as a favor to help to a friend that was running it and did not expect for it to be worth while, but it turned out to be the best sale of the year for me. Go figure...

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    A couple of weeks ago our village had a mini event to bring people out to the stores. The Village was very busy, everyone wore masks and waited their turn to go into a store. I think most people just needed to get out of the house. The stores were doing a brisk business. We have had a big influx of city people buying houses out here. Real estate has gone crazy. houses selling within a week of being listed.
    So, at least here folks are adjusting to the current norm.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Finn
    replied
    Last year I sold 184 boxes this year 55! Sad.

Leave a comment:

• NC Scroller
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim Finn View Post
    Well the fools that make decisions here in Lubbock decided to make everyone wear masks so many are afraid to leave their house. Consequently the biggest sale of the year for me was a bust! Last year, and past years sales, I sold about 24 boxes. This year I sold THREE!
    I do not plan to try any more sales until this madness evaporates. June 2021 at the earliest.
    So sorry Jim. There is no easy or simple solution. It is just going to take time and patience.

Leave a comment:

• NC Scroller
    replied
    Originally posted by will8989 View Post
    Sales were all credit, which is unusual, but my bank account liked it.
    That makes perfect sense. Down here they have repeatedly recommended use of credit cards instead of cash as a step in curbing the virus.

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    Wearing masks is mandatory here, it has become a routine.My community has 0 new cases of covid for several months.
    New York is under 1% in new cases. that may change with the schools opening up.
    We have a show after Thanksgiving but it is consignment so I don't have to be there.

Leave a comment:

• meflick
    replied
    Jim, I am sorry your sales have not gone well. We have had mandated masks for a while here. It takes a bit for people to adjust but it does become a new normal and doesn’t seem to be preventing folks from going out and about.

Glad it went so well for you Betty. Good luck with the rest of your markets.
    Last edited by meflick; 09-16-2020, 11:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• handibunny
    replied
    Great news, Betty. So nice to hear that people can be reasonable, observe necessary precautions, and still do much of what they want to do. Also glad that Bruce's good work is being properly appreciated, as I'm sure yours is, as well. May it continue this way!

Leave a comment:

• will8989
    replied
    I was finally allowed back into our farmers market last Sunday. This market has 70 spots, mostly farmers with about 10-15 regular crafters, except the holiday mart starting in November. The USDA mandates the rules and masks are required. There has been no problem and the place was quite crowded. My customers were quite happy to see me back. My first sale was before I was completely set up and it was the spare dough board Bruce made in January. I sold it for $165 then decided they wanted 2 pepper grinders. Every vendor I talked to said this has been the best year for the market in years. Sales were all credit, which is unusual, but my bank account liked it. We will be there until the week before Christmas.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Finn
    replied
    Well the fools that make decisions here in Lubbock decided to make everyone wear masks so many are afraid to leave their house. Consequently the biggest sale of the year for me was a bust! Last year, and past years sales, I sold about 24 boxes. This year I sold THREE!
    I do not plan to try any more sales until this madness evaporates. June 2021 at the earliest.

Leave a comment:

• meflick
    replied
    Sorry to hear that sales have not been there for you Jim. Between COVID, the large increase of it in Texas (as here and so many other places) and the hear, I suspect most places are not seeing many out shopping beyond basic needs. Hot weather alone does that, much less throw in the other issues 2020 seems to be having.

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X