First event of the season for me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First event of the season for me.

We took about $1200 worth of inventory out east Where we leave it on consignment. We do not have to be there. They sell the three days after Thanksgiving and the following weekend. What ever is left comes back to me along with a check. Nice and easy! We mark up our prices to cover the consignment fee.
    Our main event and the only we are at, is Dec 7. So I need to get back in the basement and get busy.
    I ordered the square yesterday. I should have it in time for the 7th.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Rolf.. I was going to say I only sell on consignment, but realized my puzzles are sold outright.. I Love to talk scrolling. and like to talk, I just cannot see selling online with mailing,, and paying for a spot when you have a place to take on consignment. the part I miss is HOW DID YOU DO THAT.. Hope all you get back is a check.

The other John A. Nelson
    johnsworkshop.com
    sigpic
    I just follow the lines and make sawdust
    on a Seyco ST-21 and a Yellow DW788

Comment

Beauty & Beast best.jpgDone 12 14 16 rb (399 x 600).jpg Actually John I don't do individual consignment. Only this short term event each year. Since starting this hobby in 2002 I have only done three individual consignment projects. These two were for good friends. Intarsia frame and Wolf, the third was some large word art for someone that nudged me at one of our woodworking fairs. The frame was a BD present for a friends wife, the picture they already had. for the frame I only charged a very small fee so that it was a gift from him not me. Notice the the upper right hand corner foliage in the picture tied in nicely with the frame, purely by accident.
      Rolf

Comment

I am like John. I enjoy the face to face.
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

We had a great Fair Saturday, to put things into perspective there are only about 20 vendors. My two sisters and I are three of them.
          I take two 8' tables. I don't know what I was thinking but I only took two pictures this year of each end skipped the middle But I attached a picture from last year of the middle. Which is 90% ornaments. A steady flow of customers and we did very well. Our table fee for the two tables is. $90 and I give them an additional donation of 10% of my sales.
          DSC_0247 (Medium).JPGDSC_0815 (Medium).JPGDSC_0249 (Medium).JPG
          Last edited by Rolf; 12-09-2019, 12:24 PM.
          Rolf

Comment

Wow that is alot of ornaments and look very professional. May I ask what you sell them for because you added a gift box as well?? What is the average sze?? The photo sometimes is deceiving. Thanks and nice display.
            John T.

Comment

Very nice, I like your sign stating that they are hand cut, not by lazer, RJ
              Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

With rare exception I scale all of my ornaments so that they fit in a box. The box is 3-3/4 by 5-1/4. that makes cutting some things a bit more challenging. The boxes now cost me $.65 each. the majority of my ornaments sell for $12. I cut six at a time. Average cut time for six depending on detail is 30 to 45 minutes. My wife paints some of them, she also does all of the packaging, pricing, setup, inventory and sales.
                Yes she has spoiled me.
                When we get the remnants back from the consignment show Wednesday, we will have a complete picture of this season. I mark the items up by 20% at that show to cover the fee. The ornaments sell there for $15. It is a very touristy location, surrounded by vineyards.

I keep a couple of my smallest blades to show customers what I use. They are always amazed.
                Last edited by Rolf; 12-09-2019, 12:32 PM.
                Rolf

Comment

Rolf,

How many times do you do one-offs? That is deciding a project takes too long to make too many of them on the off chance they don't sell.

Karl
                  Karl in Sunny Southwest Florida

Comment

As always, beautiful work. Great minds think alike. Look familiar?
                    Attached Files
                    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Karl, I am not sure what you mean by one off's. If you mean the things like the Christmas, Noel or Peace Nativity. They are not as profitable but I enjoy making them because I use many more of my tools besides the scroll saw. It is still primarily a hobby that is completely self supporting.
                      I make things that I like, I also get a lot of input from my wife. Since the majority of what we sell are ornaments making a stack of six is not a big deal. Since we started selling we have only had a handful of clinkers. But you never know what will sell year to year. We also try to introduce something new every year.
                      Rolf

Comment

Originally posted by KarlB View Post
                        Rolf,

How many times do you do one-offs? That is deciding a project takes too long to make too many of them on the off chance they don't sell.

Karl
                        That is something you can't predict. I have made items I thought would sell and don't. I have made items that sat in inventory for 4-5 years and then sell.
                        Scott
                        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Very nice display, Rolf. Your work is always top notch.
                          Denny
                          ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Christmas themed items always sell from October on. I made Sue Mey’s nativity cross expecting to carry it all season. 2 weeks ago a guy bought it and ordered 2 more. He wants to give one to each of his sisters. That one of turned into $200+. Sometimes just one of a larger item sells faster because if they think about it it might be gone by the time they make up their mind. And there is always the next show if something doesn’t sell!!
                            Attached Files
                            Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Some of the one offs are projects that I made for SSWWC articles, like the John Nelson shelves and the clock. I put those out more to show what can be done with a scroll saw, not expecting for those items to sell. I wish they would
                              We are getting our first snow of the season this morning and I have to go pick up the remnants of our consignment show. It will be interesting to see how we did there.
                              Last edited by Rolf; 12-11-2019, 08:51 AM.
                              Rolf

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X