Need a pricing suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a pricing suggestion

A friend wants to buy this dragon from me for his wife's birthday. Dragon number 2 stained (Medium).jpg What do you think would be a fair price?
    Rolf
    RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

I would say at least $100. depends how big is the friendship but friends are not family!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Rolf, can you give an estimate on the amount of time you have invested? Also did you stack cut the various pieces?
      Scott
      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

No idea on the pricing but it is a stunning piece.

Comment

I would give you $150 but then I'm cheap, but I really like dragons. Where did you get the pattern I'm up for a challenge other than puzzles?

Comment

This was a test cut I did for SSWC magazine summer 2019 issue. The original design is by Sue Mey. There is a chipmunk on the cover. I made two of them. On one I used all natural woods and mounted it on a shield, the magazine put a sword in it for the picture on page 34. I am keeping that one and am in the process of duplicating the sword pictured below in wood. A fun project making the sword.

The one I am selling is a mixture of natural colors and Baltic birch pieces stained with alcohol dyes. It is about 13 x 10 inches. and that took me about 6 hours.
            Scott you can't really stack cut them unless you are making multiples. R 1 dragon (Medium).jpgDragon Sword-Inset (Medium).jpg
            Rolf

Comment

You're regarded as an expert. Calculate a nice hourly rate plus 25% for materials. Then deduct your friendship discount.

That's a really nice piece.
              Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

I’m the wrong one to be answering about pricing, but here goes. Conversation would be: I have it for $250 at my booth but i would be happy to make one for (name of wife) for $150 (or whatever you are comfortable with).
                Last edited by will8989; 10-18-2019, 02:45 AM.
                Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Beautiful Rolf!
                  Your question plus your skill level is exactly where I am with pens and flat work. I don't do much yet (too much church work) but when I do something, I don't price things at common construction level skill. If a 2 or 3 man tech company can charge customers $50 - $75 an hour to reinstall an OS, highly skilled artistic work is worth something along those lines at the least.

I am not arrogant on my work, but when compared to many craft fair display works that I see, it is in a different league, and that is not my assessment. I am aware of the time, the visual, the precision and the OCD of perfection I put in. (I use a loupe on pens and flat work fitting and use calipers and micrometers for measuring.) While I enjoy making things like that, It does take time, plus the huge amount of experience put in to achieve that level of work, plus the tools acquired to do that, - I won't make an item for cheap pricing.

That brings me to my method of pricing: I would almost rather give an item to someone who really appreciates it than sell it at a cheap price as if it were a common item, and you can tell by the way that people look it over *. Otherwise I charge $40 - $50 (and sometimes more) an hour plus material. A lot of my OCD woodwork values were developed while living in Japan.
                  . . . BUT, I am a sucker for reducing a price for someone who really appreciates fine work in which I KNOW their financial means can't afford it.

* A fountain pen aficionado and collector will look at a fountain pen MUCH different than a ball point/roller ball pen user will. A ball point/roller ball pen buyer will look at the general aesthetics, colors and bling according to their likes; a fountain pen person will look at the aesthetics, fit, finish, feeling, weight, and then test it to see how it writes; will ask about the nib and ask to adjust the nib and/or feed and watch you do it to see if you know what you are doing. For this person, the price is a minor point and 2 to 4 times the price of roller ball pens.
                  Hank Lee
                  Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.

Comment

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions. Tony, every time I think I am getting good at this stuff we have our clubs annual show. I call it my annual humbling experience. The great part of our show at least for me it drives me to do better.

Regarding the pricing, technically I have already been paid for my time making these pieces for the article.

These are special friends, I will post my decision as I am still waffling.
                    Rolf

Comment

I had a conversation with Bruce this morning to get his thoughts on this before he left for fishing. First he said you have to look at this as a piece of art not woodworking. He said what I had said until he understood it was having the shield and turned sword. The price went to $400+. For a friend he basically said what I said, even just give it to him if he is a close friend. Tricky pricing things for friends but you can't put a $$ on good friends. But Lee is absolutely right. There is a pen show in DC every year, and the buyers come with a little eye glass on a chain around their neck, Lee would know what it is called, and examine each pen before they purchase. One scratch not visible to our eye and it goes back on display. If it's perfect, they pay upwards of $1000+.

People know if you know what you're talking about. I've embarrassed a few who don't think I know what I'm talking about. And I've also asked some to leave my table. But mostly, everyone is surprised by the fact that a lady, I have some friends who would laugh at that remark, make most of the items and I know what I'm talking about. They usually buy more.

I think I need to give myself a raise, I only pay me $30 an hour. And I am a softy for a kid with only a few $$ to spend on a gift for mom or dad.

And if I know Bruce's fishing luck, I better take some chicken out for dinner.
                      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

The one with the shield and sword is not what I am selling, it is the first picture that I posted that I am selling. I have not decided on what to do with the shield version. That will be decided after our clubs woodworking show as I will display it there.

I can't give it to him as he wants it as gift for his wife.
                        Rolf

Comment

I consider what i make as a paid hobby.. I have been charging $8.00 hour plus cost of materials. My 14 year old t granddaughter told me she makes much more than that baby sitting . So I am going to 15 and hour plus materials for my larger projects.. still keeping my puzzle prices the same.. I get my cherry and black walnut for less than $8.00 a board foot. add $2.00 flat rate for finishing on most projects.
                          The other John A. Nelson
                          johnsworkshop.com
                          sigpic
                          I just follow the lines and make sawdust
                          on a Seyco ST-21 and a Yellow DW788

Comment

Originally posted by leehljp View Post
                            I would almost rather give an item to someone who really appreciates it than sell it at a cheap price as if it were a common item,
                            That is how I feel too. I have sold a few items but would rather give it to someone who "wants" it. I have told folks who I gift an item, "If you know someone who would like ti better, please give it to them."
                            Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
                            Desert Woodcrafters
                            Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

Well I sold it. His wife and daughter are Game of Thrones fanatics. So he really is excited about giving this to her.
                              Rolf

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Reply to Pegas saw
                                by will8989
                                Bob, thewoodworkingshows.com Baltimore is 1/3-1/5. Lately it seems they always have space. And it’s not that far for you to travel!
                                Hegner converted their top blower to a vacuum which I really like. What needs to be changed on the Pegas saw? I don’t want to buy something than need to change...
                                Today, 09:01 PM
                              • vgraf
                                Reply to Pegas saw
                                by vgraf
                                Rolf,
                                Most blowers blow the dust from the left side to keep the cutting line clear. Did you disconnect your blower so that the vacuum system sucks the dust from the left keeping the pattern lines clear?
                                Today, 07:34 PM
                              • vgraf
                                Reply to Price Tags
                                by vgraf
                                I found some small tags at Hobby Lobby. They were in the Jewelry materials section.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Beads-Jew...p/13171-TI0524

They were about 3/8" x 5/8".

$4.99 for a packet...
                                Today, 07:22 PM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to Pegas saw
                                by Rolf
                                I added a trap to catch the small pieces that I don't want to lose. Also a simple swivel so I can swing the top part out of the way without messing with the upper nozzle. I did not glue the joints in case I get a clog. ...
                                Today, 05:23 PM
                              • Jim McDonald
                                Reply to Shawl pins
                                by Jim McDonald
                                Not something I would probably do--but great work and excellent detail. Thanks for sharing the images and patterns.
                                Today, 03:56 PM
                              Working...
                              X