Crafters Insurance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crafters Insurance

From what I have been reading here lately, most members do small craft shows. I have not seen major large shows talked about where a table fee of $500 or more is needed. But even with that said has any of the crafters that sell run into the need for crafters insurance in order to be a crafter at that show and if so how are you handling it.? I hear going through homeowners ins. is way too expensive an supposibly there are add on policies out there or stand alone policies too. It seems this maybe the trend coming from what I am hearing. People are sue happy these days.
    John T.

I have heard that some people get an umbrella policy on their home owners policy.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Do you mean requiring insurance before selling at a show? I haven't tripped over that, yet.

Since my shop is in my basement, it is rolled up in the homeowners policy. There is a small rider for the cost of the equipment - but not much as the table saw is a SawStop. All they required was an additional smoke/carbon dioxide detector in the shop room.

Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

Originally posted by tgiro01 View Post
        Do you mean requiring insurance before selling at a show? I haven't tripped over that, yet.

Since my shop is in my basement, it is rolled up in the homeowners policy. There is a small rider for the cost of the equipment - but not much as the table saw is a SawStop. All they required was an additional smoke/carbon dioxide detector in the shop room.
        Selling at shows.
        John T.

Comment

I doubt seriously if Homeowner's insurance would cover a business venture. Check to be sure. Insurance companies are notorious for denying any claim they can! And probably most umbrella policies work the same way. Get it in writing to make sure you have coverage. Insurance companies are usually not your friend. They will do everything to avoid paying a claim.
          Regards,
          Brian

visit us at Pickens Puzzles: www.pickenspuzzles.com

Comment

To be fully covered you need a business liability policy. Mine cost $400 a year and is for $1M. It covers my space at a show, if the wind blows my tent over onto the crafter next to me and destroys their items, personal injury, either at the show or from one of my items, etc. My tools are covered by a rider on my homeowners. All tax deductible. I also do not have people come to my house to pick up anything. First of all, I don't want strangers in my house and secondly my insurance company appreciates it. I usually meet them somewhere and deduct mileage from taxes. You also need to keep good mileage records for taxes.
            Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Will8989 is correct! You need an umbrella liability policy to cover everything from loss due to weather or in case you get sued for a product liability. Our local mall requires this if you are in a show at the mall. Most large shows also require this in our area.

Instead of a yearly policy you can get a week or weekend rate although the yearly police makes more sense.

Comment

Check out ACT insurance - www.actinsurance.com - I looked at them a while back but never acted. I'm thinking I will now since someone almost tripped and fell during one of my recent shows. I called them and they will NOT sell me an annual policy because I make and sell puzzles some of which are children's toys which are excluded for coverage. I expected that. But they will sell me a single show policy for $39 or a 90 day policy for $89. That would give me general liability coverage if someone is injured in the booth or if wind causes my tent to become airborne and damages other property. I think it is good coverage to have but I don't know what their record is at paying claims. That's the real test for an insurance company.
                Regards,
                Brian

visit us at Pickens Puzzles: www.pickenspuzzles.com

Comment

Both my homeowners and liability are through Erie. I was advised to get the separate policy. Umbrella policy may only cover what policies you already have. I'm not sure. Everything for the business is in my name only. Bruce is just a helper. Some places insist on the declaration sheet they be listed as the insured. I just call my agent and they email me a form with the company listed and the date. But I carry a generic one with me to all my shows.
                  Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

This is an interesting discussion. What if you only make puzzles for fun and give them to friends? Do you still need insurance ?

Comment

I would say no, thats the same as your mom bakes a pie and gives it to a neighbor, just make sure they are friends that you are giving your puzzles to, RJ
                      Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

Originally posted by oldvaxguy View Post
                        This is an interesting discussion. What if you only make puzzles for fun and give them to friends? Do you still need insurance ?
                        I am no lawyer but I would say no as long as it is truly a gift and not sold or bartered.
                        Scott
                        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Just make sure the pieces can't be swallowed by a child. If you have an umbrella policy on your homeowners, that should cover it. Just can't be too careful.
                          Betty

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                            Reply to The hits just keep coming
                            Linda In Phoenix
                            Lotsa prayers, and optimistic good vibes to you all.
                            Today, 12:59 AM
                          • Linda In Phoenix
                            Reply to Fair win
                            Linda In Phoenix
                            Wow. Well deserved ribbons for sure. Our fair started doing some new rules about 2 years ago. Entries into "Home Arts" can be just about any design. Entries into "Fine Arts" have to be original designs. I know a couple of scrollers who used to compete in Fine Arts, especially...
                            Today, 12:58 AM
                          • Linda In Phoenix
                            Reply to Do you wear eye prodection at the scroll saw?
                            Linda In Phoenix
                            I'm guilty of not wearing eye protection while scrolling---other than the magnifying glass. But, I do wear wrap around safety glasses when I'm sanding, routing, etc. At the recommendation of my eye doc a few years ago, I did add one safety/health step though. He recommended that a couple times...
                            Today, 12:52 AM
                          • Linda In Phoenix
                            Reply to Controversial yet fun Xmas Santa
                            Linda In Phoenix
                            It is totally heartwarming to see that there is humor left in this world, and not everything has to fit some politically correct mold that attempts to please the twisted pantie nimrods. Scrollers seem to be some of the most well rounded and easy going group of folks there are. Even when we have...
                            Today, 12:45 AM
                          • Scrappile
                            Reply to Do you wear eye prodection at the scroll saw?
                            Scrappile
                            I'd be far more concerned about lung protection, but I like some, use a magnifier lamp and wear glasses (not safety). i have broken many blades never had anything "fly" anywhere, well except my lower blade holder. I have glaucoma and cataracts (although not bad enough for surgery yet). ...
                            Yesterday, 09:30 PM
                          Working...
                          X