Recent Shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mol1jb View Post
    If you don't mind me asking how much do you sell those animal leaf patterns for? I've done a few myself and am not sure on a price. Thanks
    Mine are stack cut 5 at a time using 1/8" BB. I charge $15.00 each for them. Next year I may raise them to $20.00

Comment

So I need to make 23 of these for family ornaments this year. How long did it take you to make 5?
      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by will8989 View Post
        So I need to make 23 of these for family ornaments this year. How long did it take you to make 5?
        Betty,

There have been a number of different items discussed here. Which ones are you asking about?

Comment

Sorry, fingers get ahead of brain sometimes. The moose ornament.
          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

The first moose took me a while as I was trying to get an idea of how much detail I wanted to add and trying to get the assembly part clear in my head. The next two were faster but I am shaping the parts a bit more than the original. The 180 grit MAC mop really helps here except for the time spent looking for the small parts launched by the mop. I am in the process of making more and they will go much faster as I will do everything in groups.
            I also burn in the pattern on the top of the hull (more time). There are 11parts.
            I set my saw to ~10 deg when I cut out the hulls. I will time myself tonight.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Well, I'm finishing up all my orders today. I had to "fire" my sister in law as everytime she texted me she had more orders for the cardholders. Anyway, I need to get everything finished ASAP. My brother is in Philly today for another test and on Friday, they get all the results and next plan of action. I need to be ready to leave immediately for his surgery. Hopefully, he's well enough they can wait until the first of the year. But whatever the day, I'll be there. And I need 27 ornaments!!! Our family just keeps growing!! All this from 3 boys raised by a mother on social security back in the 60s. Now she was one tough Babe In Total Control of Herself!! LOL
              Betty

Comment

Originally posted by will8989 View Post
                And I need 27 ornaments!!! Our family just keeps growing!! All this from 3 boys raised by a mother on social security back in the 60s. Now she was one tough Babe In Total Control of Herself!! LOL
                I know a few good scrollers that could help you there.
                Scott
                Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Thanks, but I think my nephews & nieces would disown me if I didn't make them myself. Should be starting on them tomorrow.
                  Betty

Comment

Rolf,
                    I don't use the Mac mop but the other sanding mop and yes it does a good job of launching small parts. I have a large box in back of the drill press with some cotton batting that catches most of the launched pieces. Occassionally a piece will ricochet but most get caught and are easy to retrieve. Try it just line the box up with the first line of flight - it could work for you and save some time.

Comment

I have cobwebs for that.
                      Rolf

Comment

Rolf,

In your 3rd photo from your show there are a couple of angel ornaments in boxes on the table. Those look very familiar, are they from the magazine? I thought they were but cannot find them anywhere here in the issues I have...

thanks,

Phil J.

Comment

All of the crescent moon ornaments are Volker Arnold. The other angels I will have to look up. I have all of the (almost) older Creative woodworks and crafts and the Scroll Saw woodworking and crafts magazines The patterns had to be in one of those. I will try and track them down.

If it is the Angel with the trumpet it was in one of the SSWWC 2013 issues because that is when I did the test cuts, unless it was in one of the special issues.
                          It is a Rick and Karen Longabaugh design.
                          Last edited by Rolf; 12-11-2014, 07:29 AM.
                          Rolf

Comment

Hi Rolf,

Yes, it is the Angel with the trumpet ornament I was speaking of.

thanks!

Phil J.

Comment

Last sunday I had my first craft show. I was not disappointed for the first time, had about 5 times my booth fare in sales.

Lessons learned: Iron the table cloth before the fair ( I bought it and left it in the package) and put some colored paper behind the stand-up puzzles to set them apart from the wooden stand.

Almost all sales were standing puzzles of 4-5 pieces. Once I sold all the ones I had of those, it was over. Only sold 1 tray-puzzle , 0 cars and 0 planes (do you see them flying around?).

I asked every kid who came by if they would like to make a puzzle, I think around 25 children have made one. Sometimes 3 at a time! Although they did not provide sales, some people took a card with them, and it gave me a smile on my face. Too bad I did not have a better place for my dinosaur, although most children like the phrase: Don't feed the dinosaur.

Any advice or comment on my setup or items is welcome!
                              Attached Files
                              edited

Comment

Your setup looks a lot like mine, except that I only do stand-up puzzles. That Judy Peterson dragon out of what looks like padauk will sell sooner rather than later. I've sold many of those. When I'm at a show, I pick out demo puzzles in advance and set them out (broken into pieces) arranged in general order of difficulty. That way I can try to avoid toddlers starting in on the most difficult puzzle and also not put out the puzzles that may require a more delicate touch. Encourage adults to try them as well. I agree with what you said about people playing with your puzzles--I get more enjoyment out of that than I do sales.

I had what was probably my only show of the year on Saturday--the holiday bazaar at Green Flash Brewery here in San Diego. They have a big tasting room and invite arts and crafts types in once a year. They don't charge a table fee, and you can drink beer all day, although I never really had any slow moments during the show. I sold 20 puzzles, which is up a bit from the previous two times I've done the same show (15 and 16), so it was a great outing. Forgot to take pictures. Sigh.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                  Reply to Phone call from son.
                                  by will8989
                                  Talked to him yesterday after he was coherent. Very fortunately, it was dc current. He said ac current and would have ended differently. And it wasn’t a house. It was a converter box in a marina located on a deck cut into a 20’ high steep bank. They had to climb a ladder to get to it. And they were...
                                  Yesterday, 10:53 PM
                                • garryatpa
                                  Reply to A Bear In The Woods
                                  by garryatpa
                                  Wow!!!! That is beautiful. Super job of sawing. If I worked it out correctly it took you less than a minute for each opening especially when I look at the amount of time it would take to saw the outline of the bear. Garry
                                  Yesterday, 10:43 PM
                                • meflick
                                  Reply to Phone call from son.
                                  by meflick
                                  Glad to hear your son is fine Betty but what a scary thing.
                                  Yesterday, 01:10 PM
                                • meflick
                                  Reply to Hello from Central Florida
                                  by meflick
                                  Welcome to the forum from another Tennessean....
                                  Yesterday, 01:04 PM
                                • John Smith
                                  Reply to Hello from Central Florida
                                  by John Smith
                                  Thanks guys, I have a lot of HDU left over from my sign business in various thicknesses.
                                  HDU doesn't "fuse" or repair itself under heat or friction. Only acrylics and some PVC materials do that. Depending on what part of the world you are in, you would have to google HDU Distributors...
                                  Yesterday, 10:01 AM
                                Working...
                                X