Designers Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Designers Question

Over the last several years there have been many concerns of copying patterns or using a clip art design to make patterns. Many people have said that real designers never copy an idea or redesign a current printed pattern.

This got me to thinking of many of the designers of today that recreate a vintage design. In your opinion,
    1) Are these designers morally wrong for editing existing designs and
    2) If two or more people recreate the same old pattern, are both just as guilty as each other for copying
    3) If the redesign artist sells the old pattern as an original, would you purchase from this artist again

This is not directed at anyone, just a few thoughts.
    Karl Taylor
    Tayco Designs / KT Designs

www.scrollsawvideo.com

When I read your post I read twice more and in my opinion this is a difficult one. Everything I make I sell at craft fairs so I am always looking for new designs to increase my range of items i can offer people and this strategy works very well for me. If someone takes an old design and re-models it so it is more modern or more appealing or whatever then I would buy it.

I know there are people out there who have pinched designs and claimed them as their own and I would never buy from these people and if I had my way i would have them removed from forums and ban their web pages. I am fortunate that I am able to make my own designs for many of the things I make but have bought designs from well known people like Sheila Langdry and Sue Mey purely for their appeal and to save me making a design that would be similar. I use a lot of Steve Good's designs. There are some truly gifted people out there. If Sheila or Sue re-designs anything and I like it, then yes, I would buy it.

Comment

Original design stopped at Da Vinci's death.

I suppose there is a fine line here - I certainly wouldn't take someone's Mountain / Landscape pattern, add a tree and call it my own nor would I understand someone that would do that. On the other hand if I looked at someone's Mountain / Landscape pattern, used some of their techniques and ideas, and then took a similar scene and made a pattern based on that I'd have no problem calling it mine.

Sheila Landry designs the candle holders/trivets - if she doesn't have one with strawberries and you make it - does that make it yours? In my mind I would say no and call it a pattern based on her design. Can you sell this strawberry pattern as yours then?

There is certainly a fine line to tread here.
      Douglas Fraser
      Eagle River, Alaska

My Gallery - Aurora Wood Crafts

Comment

I understand the fine line here, for patterns. But, that is just for patterns. If you copy a pattern to sell, it is not yours to sell, unless you have permision to do just that. If you take a photo & make your own pattern from it, then it is yours, even though you used someone else's picture. At least that is the way I understand copywrite protection. It sure gets technical, when you use something that someone else has made. It should be protected in my book. Good Luck
        PERK

Comment

The only downside to that ubgoofy, is that some photos are copyrighted so even though it's your pattern you made from a photo if it's copyrighted it's still copyrighted and you can't call it your own...ie.... Nascar and Disney. I've noticed a lot of designers are even putting on their patterns something to deal with copy shops because a lot of shops won't copy it. I've even seen a few that put on their pattern saying you can sell the finished piece but not the pattern. Copyright is and will be the most talked about and debated law ever especially for designers and crafters.
          "Keep Scrolling Along"
          Chris "The WoodArtist"
          https://www.facebook.com/TheWoodArtistWoodShop

Comment

Originally posted by ubgoofy2003 View Post
            I understand the fine line here, for patterns. But, that is just for patterns. If you copy a pattern to sell, it is not yours to sell, unless you have permision to do just that. If you take a photo & make your own pattern from it, then it is yours, even though you used someone else's picture. At least that is the way I understand copywrite protection. It sure gets technical, when you use something that someone else has made. It should be protected in my book. Good Luck
            Best be careful because photos, drawings, paintings, etc. are also copyright. You should get the permission of the artist to make a pattern from their work - then you'd be ok, otherwise trouble could arise from it.
            Janette
            www.square-designs.com

Comment

Originally posted by Janette View Post
              Best be careful because photos, drawings, paintings, etc. are also copyright. You should get the permission of the artist to make a pattern from their work - then you'd be ok, otherwise trouble could arise from it.
              Just one additional word of advice...
              Make sure that you get that "permission" in writting.
              www.wix.com/tangowooddesign/home-page

Comment

We lost a great designer because he claimed he had permission to convert certain photos's into patterns. He had nothing in writting and it got real ugly.
                Rolf
                RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

your right Rolf. I still miss Jeff's great patterns.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Chuck Hans
                    Reply to Big week here
                    by Chuck Hans
                    Congrats on all accounts,
                    I have been retired for 21 years and have no regrets. Hope you and your family take full advantage of the well earned time
                    Today, 08:51 PM
                  • cwmagee
                    Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                    by cwmagee
                    Jim,

Should you ever get bored, you may have found a new retirement/career "Key Board Repair Service"
                    Today, 03:36 PM
                  • Sandy Oaks
                    Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                    by Sandy Oaks
                    So true about letting the blade do to cutting....
                    Today, 02:56 PM
                  • NC Scroller
                    Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                    by NC Scroller
                    I have made a number of those Harvey puzzles. They are a lot of fun. You really need to be patient and let the blade cut. Even the slightest pressure can ruin your puzzle piece fit. My go to is a Pegas #3 MGT....
                    Today, 11:24 AM
                  • NC Scroller
                    Reply to Big week here
                    by NC Scroller
                    Congrats on your pending retirement and gaining a new daughter. I have been retired close to 6 years now and I have no idea where the time went. Yes retirement will mean some adjustment but I can tell you it is the best job I have ever had. By the way. If you think retirement means unlimited shop...
                    Today, 11:18 AM
                  Working...
                  X