Coming up for sawdust free air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming up for sawdust free air

Well, I did it again. I got myself invited to be juried for a very exclusive show in November. They only have 50 vendors, have 12 openings and about 20 applying for those openings. I was lucky that I contacted them the day before the invitations went out and when I mentioned scrollsaw fretwork, the reply was "Fretwork?" Ah ha. They didn't know what it was! So my judging is next Thursday and I have to set up a complete table of displays for their scrutiny and questions. I made everything new for this as it has to be better than my best. Hubby is finishing the sanding and routing the edges of the baskets today. I will be using inlace, a new product for me to use and I absolutely love it, on a few, then gluing and dipping. I have a whole christmas tree full of angels, card holders and birdhouses, as well as some clocks, which I never do but decided to "throw" in there, dragons, eagles, and on and on. Monday I will be getting my portfolio together with new pics & redoing my display cloths, etc. Hubby will be going with me Thursday. I'll be notified in April or May if I'm accepted, so keep good thoughts. Oh did I mention, I'm doing all this with my daughter in from Texas this week for work and spending all free time, whatever free time is, with her. PHEW! Love this pace. I do my "better than best" under pressure!!
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Good luck Betty; Hope you get in. Frenchie

Comment

I hope you can convince them to give you a try. You do work much deserved to be in their show. Keep us posted...take some pics of your display for the next group of jurors who will accept photos instead of seeing an actual display.
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Sounds like a great opportunity. Good luck, and keep us in the loop.
        Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Good luck Betty! We're all rooting for you.

Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Good luck and don't forget pictures for US too.
            Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Best of luck to you!
              Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Good luck Betty, I have a one day show on the 17th of this month at a local church.
                Merle
                SSG US Army Retired.
                [email protected]
                http://www.etsy.com/your/listings

Comment

WOW, congrats Betty!!! I find it interesting that they have a 'live' application...I have never heard of that. And the fact that you have to display all your different works...what a task, but no doubt you are going to WOW the Pants off them!!!! Will be keeping fingers and toes crossed that you are accepted, as you deserve every bit of it!!!
                  ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Comment

Thanks everyone. This show runs Thurs & Fri 10-8 and Sat 8-5. Each day attendance is 1000+ with about 3000 on Sat. It has been around for about 30 years and is very difficult to get into. From what I am hearing they allow only one or two of the same craft as long as they complement each other. Hubby talked to a turner that was there last year and there were NO scrollers. Judging is 3/15 and 3/24 from 9-4, each slot being 1/2 hour. Daughter took off back to Texas today, so I can concentrate fully on woodworking. Decided to add a few other items. I am driving my husband absolutely crazy, which isn't too far, with my mind changing. But he is 100% for this and if it doesn't pass his quality control, it ain't going!! LOL Back to the grind, I mean saw!!!
                    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Betty, just a thought. Have you tried bow boxes? I know that this is not the time to do something new, but way back when I wasn't even on the radar, I caught the attention of Frank Klausz with the box that became the "ribbons and bows" box for SSW&C. Even though it wasn't nearly as elaborate as many other entries at the Woodworks show, he gave it a 3rd place award, which just floored me. I think was because he had never seen anything like it before, and the novelty caught his eye. There certainly were more elaborate and competently done entries.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that if you think of which of all the wonderful projects you do have had the greatest "WOW" factor, that may help tilt the odds in your favor.

In any event, I hope it all works out. And if not, you've got a great inventory for the spring!
                      Carole

Comment

That's great Betty. We always like the juried shows. Most we did we were seen at other shows and were invited to their show. We did not have to take anything to show them since they already had seen it and no other woodwork or paint artist were doing what we were. I'm sure they will love your work and want your products in their show
                        Hawaiilad
                        Larry

Comment

Congrats on being selected to "audition". I hope all goes well!!!

Lord Bless
                          Kip

Scrollin' with an Ex-21

http://eco-friendly-woodworks.com/

I WAITED patiently for the Lord; And He inclined to me and heard my cry.
                          He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay,
                          And He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm.
                          He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God;
                          Many will see and fear
                          And will trust in the Lord.
                          Psalm 40:1-3

Comment

Well, all packed for my "audition" later this morning. They wanted a good sample, I think 2 totes plus is enough, don't you? Carole, I was going to do that box but changed to my favorite, the Dogwood box. I use box elder for the flower and green poplar for the leaves on a cherry box. I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it. I have Ambrosia Maple, box elder with lots of red, cherry, black walnut & green poplar baskets. I have an eagle mounted on 100+year old wormy chestnut. I knew I bought that chestnut 8 years ago for a reason!!! LOL 2 clocks, puzzles, angels, gift card holders and birdhouses!!! PHEW!! When I get home I'm working in my garden & breathing fresh air instead of sawdust!! LOL
                            Betty

Comment

Sounds like a great selection, Betty. And that dogwood box is one of my favorites, too--I've made several, but not as colorfully as yours--never thought of using green poplar for the leaves.

Please let us know how you make out--we're all here cheering you on! Go girl!!
                              Carole

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• cwmagee
                                Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                                by cwmagee
                                I think it might be a letter that one would need to use the left index finger. Perhaps you need a heavier hammer.
                                Today, 05:39 PM
                              • jim_mex
                                Reply to New tools
                                by jim_mex
                                Hi Rolf - the unit I bought will also do Tig welding once you buy the optional accessories - torch, nozzles etc: - plus it will do conventional stick welding too. I doubt I'll be heading down the TIG route anytime soon, at least not for the projects I have in mind at the moment.

I did a...
                                Today, 05:26 PM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to New tools
                                by Rolf
                                Jim I bought a mig welder the last time I did a frame off restoration on my TVR. I had a few frame cracks. I bought one that used shielding gas. I never really mastered the power vs feed vs moving the torch. Using it only a couple of times a year did not help.
                                My dream was to buy a TIG so that...
                                Today, 04:32 PM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to Big week here
                                by Rolf
                                Yes you have had a great week.! It is really nice that your son shared this special moment. Regarding retirement, Almost 5 years for me, Never regreted my decision, not for an instant.
                                Today, 04:19 PM
                              • jim_mex
                                New PC keyboard has an error
                                by jim_mex
                                Partly because I have trouble seeing small letters with my one remaining eye and also because my existing wireless keyboard gave up the ghost a couple of days back I went out this morning and bought a new wired keyboard from our local Oice Depot.

I chose one with really big blue illuminated...
                                Today, 03:47 PM
                              Working...
                              X