Selling item with purchased artwork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling item with purchased artwork

I'm trying to find a way to help offset my hobby and keep the wife happy and tolerant of all the garage time. Most ly I want to recoup the cost of materials and be a source of funding new tools and related expenses.

Not being an artist I'm practicing on calendars purchased from the 100 yen/Dollar Tree/99 cent store.

I will include the original artists name and artwork title but is it 'legal/safe' allowed for me to:
    1) sell them
    2) advertise them

I could see that selling would be the less challenging issue. After all anyone could purchase a calendar and say 'Hey, how much would you charge to make a puzzle out of this for me?'

Advertising could be a bit more problematic. 'Hey I have Disneyland puzzles for sale.' Photo or artwork purchased may argued as not sold for that purpose. If I took the photo would that provide any additional protection.

Of course all this presumes I could get any traffic based on all the superior puzzlers that are out there.
    Sawdust King

If there is one thing I can make perfect every time it is sawdust.

If you want to be completely in the clear then use only copyright free images or images for which you have explicit permission from the owner.

You will find several previous discussions of using calendar images on the forum, but the only really solid answer is not to get legal advice from random yahoos on the internet

I know that the calendar I have on my wall explicitly says "The removal and reuse of pages of this work is strictly prohibited". Whether that statement has any legal standing isn't something worth my testing.

--Rob

Comment

[QUOTE=Arcy;397442]"The removal and reuse of pages of this work is strictly prohibited". UNQUOTE.

That statement seems a little over the top. It basically prohibits you from wrapping your garbage or lining your bird cage with their product as well as any other use you may have for used paper.

Tom

Comment

My feelings are that if you purchase the calender, and do not reproduce the pictures for mass sales of a particular image you will be fine. Creating a single copy of a calender photo should not get you into trouble. I made a Disney item once and got letter telling me to cease and desist. I did and have never heard anymore from them.

Just use your head, technically you should contact each artist/photographer and seek permission if copyrighted. It seems to be easier to ask for forgiveness than permission...just my 2 cents and not the official stance of this forum....Copyrights are meant to be protected.
        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
          Reply to Shrink wrap systems
          by Linda In Phoenix
          What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
          The bags seem easier on the surface.
          But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
          Today, 03:24 PM
        • will8989
          Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
          by will8989
          Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
          Today, 10:32 AM
        • Sandy Oaks
          by Sandy Oaks
          As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
          Today, 09:46 AM
        • NC Scroller
          Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
          by NC Scroller
          I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
          Today, 07:42 AM
        • NC Scroller
          by NC Scroller
          I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
          Today, 07:39 AM
        Working...
        X