Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm wondering about business aspects & liability.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will8989
    replied
    Isn't that the truth.

Leave a comment:

• dogcatcher
    replied
    It only takes one mistake for a lawsuit to wipe you out. Even a minor incident can be costly.

Leave a comment:

• wood-n-things
    replied
    I agree you are probably fine doing the sales on the side as you put it.

Leave a comment:

• sawdust11703
    Guest replied
    Mike, I understand what you're saying about a booth at a show that you might want to consider insurance, but I'm talking about selling on the side. I have not done shows. I make something for someone, meet them at a location and make the exchange. For someone to say that I need insurance for that is absolutely paranoid.

Leave a comment:

• wood-n-things
    replied
    sawdust,
    To each his own. But, if you have a booth set up at the park and are selling to the public and someone trips over your lanyard and breaks an arm or a gust of wind comes up and tips your canopy over onto the glass blower next to you and destroys all his product guess who he will be looking at. I'm not going to get into an argument over the topic, like I said to each his own.

Leave a comment:

• sawdust11703
    Guest replied
    I sell mostly crosses and other wall plaque type items on the side. There is absolutely no reason for me to have insurance. What is someone going to sue me for after I hand over a cross to them? Let's not get completely paranoid now.

Leave a comment:

• will8989
    replied
    Sawdust, if you are selling regularly you are making a big mistake not having insurance of some kind. Just because you don't do shows, you are not exempt from any liability if something happens to someone. Like Mike said, it's sue sue sue. Heck, robbers are sueing the people whose homes they are breaking into and the homeowners are home and beating them up when they catch them. As for making money. When I do a show I take an envelope with me. Everything I buy that day, food, coffee, whatever, the receipt goes into the envelope for taxes. Mileage written down in a book. Donations made to the organizer. Any and all is tax deductible and it all adds up. As for people undercutting me, I don't have that happen as I am usually the only woodworker at shows. The few that I do that there are other woodworkers, we do opposite items and it's just usually the shoppers choice or customer's loyalty. And Mike, if they are your own patterns & designs, you haven't sold them or given permission to be used, isn't that, what's the phrase? Copyright Infringement.

This is a good thread. I hope people interested in setting up a business are learning and thinking about the right questions to ask to the right person and to protect themselves the right way.
    Last edited by will8989; 02-07-2012, 05:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Finn
    replied
    Originally posted by wood-n-things View Post
    ......... I just keep coming up with new designs this slows them down for a while. ........................
    I make and sell a lot of small cedar boxes with images inlayed into the lids. Mine are the only ones I see at the shows I go to. I make intarsia items also and I do see some others selling them but no other inlay work. I do well at every show and I attribute it to those inlayed boxes. I have found my CURRENT niche but I do not know how long it will last so I keep looking for other items to make to sell. I started out selling just toys. I quit making those.

Leave a comment:

• wood-n-things
    replied
    I have spoken with the manager of the market and she says it is up to each individual to set their own prices...LOL She does not get the bigger picture nor understand that the other person is scouting and then undercutting. I just keep coming up with new designs this slows them down for a while. Luckily she is only at 2-3 shows that i attend each fall.

Leave a comment:

• sawdust11703
    Guest replied
    That's amazing that people would short change themselves by selling things so cheap, even if they are in competition with you for sales. I know for me, I have to charge a certain amount otherwise it's just not worth my time to make it. Luckily I do very well selling items thru the year without having to do these shows. Part of me wants to try it someday but it seems there are a lot more hassles than its worth.

Leave a comment:

• NC Scroller
    replied

None of this makes it right or okay for the other person who comes to my town to sell at local shows to copy the items I am making and then undersell me. They actually come over and say hi during setup, look over my prices and go back to their booth and I've seen them change their signs to lower prices. Oh well it takes all kinds..I still out sell them as my quality is way superior.
    I 100% agree Mike that this is wrong from both a business and moral sense. it is sad what people will do just as a few dollars. Have you tried to address with the show organizer?

Leave a comment:

• HAMMER
    replied
    Wood-n-things,

unfortunitly there is undesireables in ever aspect of life. But those that you describe have a special place.... If I honestly under price you OK but to check your display out and then under price you that is just wrong....

Leave a comment:

• wood-n-things
    replied
    Scott,
    You are absolutely right on.

others doing it for fun/hobby. That person might be very happy making a $1.98 per hour and very likely is not doing it to hurt you but thinks that what they are selling is at a fair market price. All we can do it to talk to those folks nicely and hopefully they will understand.

Most of these folks are retired or just doing it for a hobby. I am both retired and doing it as a hobby but do sell my items as I have nothing else to do with the left overs after i give to my chosen charitable recipients. However I'm not going to give it away at shows for nothing...LOL Since I do sell a lot of items throughout the year his also adds to the amount I create as i invariably come home with custom orders. That being said I have had to set it up as a business with proper licenses etc.

None of this makes it right or okay for the other person who comes to my town to sell at local shows to copy the items I am making and then undersell me. They actually come over and say hi during setup, look over my prices and go back to their booth and I've seen them change their signs to lower prices. Oh well it takes all kinds..I still out sell them as my quality is way superior.
    Last edited by wood-n-things; 02-04-2012, 12:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NC Scroller
    replied
    We make and sell alot of items and charge a fair price for our product. That is why when we encounter someone selling a similar item for $5.00 when we try and charge a fair price of $15.00 for instance it makes our hair stand on end. I have this one person here who comes from out of town who has decided to do the same shows i do and she always undercuts my prices. My only defense is to try and make new items, but sure enough next show she will be doing my new items as well.
    Mike this will never go away. Some of it is normal business (difference in over head costs, material costs, units produced per time period, etc). That is good healthy competition. Where it turns a bit sideways is in the craft business because we have folks doing it to make a living and others doing it for fun/hobby. That person might be very happy making a $1.98 per hour and very likely is not doing it to hurt you but thinks that what they are selling is at a fair market price. All we can do it to talk to those folks nicely and hopefully they will understand.

Leave a comment:

• wood-n-things
    replied
    We make and sell alot of items and charge a fair price for our product. That is why when we encounter someone selling a similar item for $5.00 when we try and charge a fair price of $15.00 for instance it makes our hair stand on end. I have this one person here who comes from out of town who has decided to do the same shows i do and she always undercuts my prices. My only defense is to try and make new items, but sure enough next show she will be doing my new items as well.

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X