For all toy makers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For all toy makers

Looks like you either go and register or stop making them effective 01/01/2012. While I doubt the FED will go after anyone selling a couple toys at craft fairs or market I would be more worried about some kid getting ill, not the toys fault, and some sue happy lawyer getting involved because you are selling "illegal" toys.

CPSC Launches Registry for Small Batch Children's Product Manufacturers
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

I've been doing some research on this and I will stop putting paint on my toys unless I have a sign posted that says these toys are not intended for use by children under 12 years of age. I'm certainly not going to stop creating toys and I'm not spending hundreds of dollars to test acrylic paints when the paint manufacturer already has.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I found a couple of finishes to put on its not paint so all toys just look like bare wood first one is mineral oil (baby oil it has fragrance in it though)and bees wax second one is olive oil and bees wax brings out the wood grain and smooths surface nothing toxic in finish just a little less colorful go to toymakers press web and they have the recipe for first I just substitute olive oil for mineral oil dont seem to have any probs so far

Comment

So if you manufacture 10 of those little toy wooden cars to sell you are required to register for doing it.
        The requirement says if you made LESS than 1 million dollars in a calendar year and manufactured less than 7500 units.

My word! Just when I was fixing to get started good. If you register somebody's going to be coming around and looking, and then there will be a whole lot more rules they'll shove down your throat. Probably even confiscate your saws. I'm not putting my name on any government list.

Comment

To err is human, to really foul up requires a set of government regulations that make no sense.

Looks like I am going to have to not put any finish on toys or games and just tell people that if they want it to look good, they will have to put a finish on themselves.

george
          A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
          George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

One thing I have found that some folks are doing and it is legal. They are putting a disclaimer on their product This item is not suitable for children under the age of 12. This seems to have been upheld as legal and even large manufacturers are doing it now like model railroad kit manufacturers.

Now I am not supporting this mindset to allow us to make unsafe toys because that is not my intent but there has to be a legal work around for folks who make onesies and twosies of an item. The current law (which goes into effect in just a few days 1/1/12) says 1 item from each batch must be tested. They do not however define a batch. So I suppose you could test 1 item and have a continuous batch in progress which is ridiculous.

I have sent an e-mail requesting information on how to get the documentation from suppliers who make the paint and other finishes we use, as i understand the ruling: if they (the manufacturer of acrylic paint for instance) have tested there product, we can use their documentation as proof we are in compliance.

I just do not know how to acquire this documentation from different suppliers to have on hand. I'll let you know when i figure it out. Until then
            This item is not suitable for children under the age of 12. Will be on all of my items. Happy New year.

BTW This is my personal opinion and in no way reflects the views or opinions of Fox Chapel or Scrollsaw Woodworking & Crafts magazine. Since it is their forum i thunk I should clear that up before i got in a ringer...LOL
            "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Well, some of the little toy cars and trucks I wanted to make a 12 year old would
              laugh at if he got as a gift.
              When they get up around 12 they're mostly into video games by then.

Originally posted by wood-n-things View Post
              One thing I have found that some folks are doing and it is legal. They are putting a disclaimer on their product This item is not suitable for children under the age of 12. This seems to have been upheld as legal and even large manufacturers are doing it now like model railroad kit manufacturers.

Now I am not supporting this mindset to allow us to make unsafe toys because that is not my intent but there has to be a legal work around for folks who make onesies and twosies of an item. The current law (which goes into effect in just a few days 1/1/12) says 1 item from each batch must be tested. They do not however define a batch. So I suppose you could test 1 item and have a continuous batch in progress which is ridiculous.

I have sent an e-mail requesting information on how to get the documentation from suppliers who make the paint and other finishes we use, as i understand the ruling: if they (the manufacturer of acrylic paint for instance) have tested there product, we can use their documentation as proof we are in compliance.

I just do not know how to acquire this documentation from different suppliers to have on hand. I'll let you know when i figure it out. Until then
              This item is not suitable for children under the age of 12. Will be on all of my items. Happy New year.

BTW This is my personal opinion and in no way reflects the views or opinions of Fox Chapel or Scrollsaw Woodworking & Crafts magazine. Since it is their forum i thunk I should clear that up before i got in a ringer...LOL

Comment

I agree and we cannot dictate to parents what age they think the item is relevant for, now can we?
                "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

We may not dictate but:

The Gov. seems to think that they can dictate to the parents and to everyone else what is and is not relevent to everyone on any topic....

Vote! I do.

I am trying very hard to keep this as a non-political discussion, please help me keep it that way. Thanks!
                  Last edited by wood-n-things; 12-28-2011, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Please clear this up for me if possible.

toys made from raw wood unfinished are NOT subjected to this but with a coating on them you have to have test results saying it isn't toxic... is this right.

would tis apply to christmas ornaments that a child could pull off a tree?

should I have a release signed by the adult... assuming they are compatent to sign..

I find gov. doc.s had to understand.....

Comment

What is classified as a toy, is a puzzle a toy?

Comment

Hammer,
                        Yes as far as I know, unfinished toys are exempted from testing. I'm still trying to find out if the glues we use such as titebond have to be tested or if we can use the manufacturers testing for glue. So far it is unclear to me, however i have found conflicting reports about piggy backing off products testing certifications.

Showland,
                        It is my understanding puzzles are considered toys.
                        "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I have been following this very closely for a wood working club I belong to. If the toy has no finish at all it is exempt from the lead testing. This applies to toy made for sale or donations to charitable organizations (Toys for Tots, Red Cross, Salvation Army, etc). As soon as you apply a sticker, decal, plastic component, or any finish at all you are subject to the testing requirements.

BTW you can make all the painted toys you want for your family and friends. They just can't be sold or donated.

Inappropriate comment removed.
                          Last edited by wood-n-things; 12-28-2011, 04:53 PM.
                          Scott
                          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Small batch manufacturers, defined as those who earned $1 million or less in total gross revenues from sales of consumer products in 2011, and who produced in total no more than 7,500 units of at least one consumer product in 2011 can register for calendar year 2012 at SaferProducts.gov. Qualifying small batch manufacturers are not required to third party test for compliance with certain children’s product safety rules during 2012 for products which they produced no more than 7,500 units of in the previous calendar year.

This new registry does not exempt small batch manufacturers from ensuring that their products comply with these mandatory standards. Small batch manufacturers must still provide a certificate of conformity, in which the manufacturers certify in writing that their products comply with the applicable regulations. However, except where required by law, the certificate does not have to be based on third party testing.

It would appear that if you register and qualify you will be exempted from 3rd party testing for 2012. This may be worth investigating.
                            "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I found a couple of finishes to put on its not paint so all toys just look like bare wood first one is mineral oil (baby oil it has fragrance in it though)and bees wax second one is olive oil and bees wax brings out the wood grain and smooths surface nothing toxic in finish just a little less colorful go to toymakers press web and they have the recipe for first I just substitute olive oil for mineral oil dont seem to have any probs so far

I would use the Quote thingy, but don't know how it works, so I'll just copy and paste. Using vegetable oil, olive oil or any other kind of cooking oil can turn rancid over time. That is why it is not recommended to use as a finish or to clean wood cutting boards. Bees wax is ok BUT people are allergic to bees, so would they also be allergic to bees wax? Same with walnut oil - people are allergic to nuts as well as nut oil. I wouldn't even think of using baby oil but perhaps others have. What were your resuults? I do believe Tite Bond glue has a statement on the label that it is food safe and can be used in cutting boards, etc. As for smooth surfaces, that can be accomplished by sanding. My husband has a statement that he keeps reminding me of as he knows how I hate to sand: Sanding is a FINISHING step not a CORRECTION step.

As for putting my name on some sort of registery. I don't think so. So, therefore, I don't make toys except for the grandchildren. Insurance is cheap compared to what you can lose. My liability policy is for $1,000,000 and only costs $400 a year. Just the cost of doing business.
                              Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                                Reply to My first decent furniture project - Welding and woodwork combined
                                by jim_mex
                                Hi Linda - thanks for the comments on the welds. It took me an hour or so to get into the swing of MIG wire welding but I really like it in preference to stick welding especially for welding thinner material. I confess to investing in a new angle grinder to help with the cleanup and dressing. I bought...
                                Today, 12:25 AM
                              • keystonecop
                                Bread and Cheese..
                                by keystonecop
                                ‚Äč Scrollsaw Woodworking and crafts Winter 2020 3/4 Cherry. A work in progress. This has been one of the most frustrating and rewarding projects that I have ever done. @Fiona Kingdon is by far one of the great scroll saw artists. Her patterns are not always the type that I like (I like to follow red...
                                Today, 12:08 AM
                              • keystonecop
                                Reply to Recommendations anyone?
                                by keystonecop
                                This is in a 5x5 area.. The total shop is 10x12 ...
                                Today, 12:01 AM
                              • jim_mex
                                Reply to Turning to something new
                                by jim_mex
                                Wow! That segmented bowl is amazing!

Betty - I have an old Darth Vader helmet somewhere. Will that substitute Bruce's get up? Failing that there always my current biker's helmet Thanks very much for the safety advice and concern. Rest assured that safety is my priority these days....
                                Yesterday, 11:57 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Turning to something new
                                by will8989
                                That is beautiful. Your design?
                                Yesterday, 11:42 PM
                              Working...
                              X