Book ends?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book ends?

Has anyone tried making/selling bookends? I have some things in a local shop, and now that Holiday theme stuff is about over, i have to come up with new stuff. Have a few ideas for bookends, but really don't want to make stuff that doesn't move. Appreciate any comments!

Paul
    Last edited by paul44224; 12-19-2011, 07:40 AM.
    www.flicker.com/photos/woodworks44224

I have sold a few themed ones. If you have unique bookends they seem to sell sporadically. What are some of your ideas if you don't mind sharing. Alphabet and name ones for children are okay but not consistent.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Sorry, Mike! Forgot I posted this question! I was thinking train-engine one end, caboose at the other, dragons, so many other possibilities. There are a couple of "independant" bookstores locally that I was thinking of talking to one about maybe a consignment deal with. One is a childrens bookstore that really seems to do well. Will let you know!

Paul

Comment

Keep us posted. Those are all good ideas. Western themed anything sells well here in Montana as well as outdoors themed items.
        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

G'day Paul,
          I make children's book end and actually put a train and Guards Van on them, just like you suggested. They don't fly away, but they do sell. I charge $45. I have made others and occasionally get a custom order for ones with initials.
          Regards
          John
          "The Golden Mile"John Wayne
          Some of my Stuff
          Retired Medically Unfit Police Officers ***.

Comment

Thanks for the input, John! Appreciate both, your and Mike's answers! Going to get going on them soon!

Paul

Comment

Have you thought about doing these? They are called Opposing Forces Bookends and are found in the 2009 Spring; Issue 34 of this magazine (Scrollsaw Woodworking and Crafts). They come out very well.

-Bill
              Attached Files
              -Bill

My saw is a DeWalt788 Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

Comment

Cool idea, my mind automatically thinks of many, many, opposing forces, HINT!

Sunlion

Mmmm .......... p.s. maybe there is a good challenge subject here for the New Year?
                The Journey Is Everything.

http://www.sunlion-pyrography.co.uk/

My Google+

Comment

Bill sure has a grand idea ......very catch-e ..........
                  Usually busier than a cat in a sandbox !!!!!!!!!!! MB { Dewalt 788 only }

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, Bill! Actually, that was the pattern that gave me the idea for bookends for the bookstores! It is such a cool pattern! You did an excellant job on yours! What do you use on the bottom, felt, cork, or...?

Paul

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• handibunny
                      Reply to Question about tilting head saws
                      by handibunny
                      It doesn’t matter whether the saw table tilts or the saw arm tilts. Either can be used for any project cut at an angle, and there’s a learning curve for each.

I actually prefer the tilting table because the blade remains vertical. I find that at really steep angles, like 40 or 45 degrees,...
                      Today, 02:10 PM
                    • will8989
                      Reply to What you find when cleaning out a cedar chest
                      by will8989
                      This is the tapestry I found in the cedar chest. We can’t identify where the pictures are from. Two among many. I also forgot to mention dad was also in the army Fife and Drum Corps and also played with a big band when he was discharged. Have to find that info....
                      Today, 12:34 PM
                    • will8989
                      Reply to Bruce doing great
                      by will8989
                      What a morning. The therapists were quite pleased with what he could do. He took the wrap off today and he can walk with the walker with very little pain. It’s getting the leg completely straight that is hard to do. It’s when his brother stopped in that things went off rails. Rolf, we are talking...
                      Today, 12:19 PM
                    • Sandy Oaks
                      Reply to Question about tilting head saws
                      by Sandy Oaks
                      If you are referring to 3D Compound cutting, the blade is 90 degrees to the table and not tilted. I use the tilting head for things like inlays and Carole's bowls. If you want a tilting arm, be sure it is rack and pinion. Look at other features that may fit your needs. As a Pegas dealer, I can help...
                      Today, 11:32 AM
                    • Jim Lowder
                      Reply to Need Advice Refurbishing Somerville Excalibur 30
                      by Jim Lowder
                      I think the foot release was an option. I don’t see the pulley for it on the back of yours. Although it may have been removed. It is a very simple concept, it’s a cable attached to the back of the saw to release the arm
                      Today, 10:10 AM
                    Working...
                    X