Festival of Trees-My best show ever!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festival of Trees-My best show ever!

I attend a local craft show every year called Festival of Trees. They have food, entertainment, decorated Christmas trees, a chinese auction, raffles, and many different types of craft vendors.

First of all, I won the prize for best vendor. I was shocked because there was a lot of really good crafts. I was the only "wood guy". I donated my prize money back to the catholic school the festival sponsers. Plus, my wife teaches there and I am in charge of getting vendors to attend the festival so I didn't want it to be said that I cheated in any way or that it was rigged. I didn't even know who the judges were. The organizers fogot to get a ribbon made for the winner. I sounds selfish but I really wish I could have gotten one. Just for my own selfish pride of displaying a first place ribbon.

I didn't sell a lot of variety of items but did sell a lot of a couple of items. What sold a lot of this year didn't sell last year and what sold last year didn't sell this year. You just never know so I will keep providing some of the same things every year and add a couple new things.

I got a lot of compliments on my stuff which made me feel really good. I tell them that all I do is follow a line. Anyone can do it. Craft shows can take a lot out of you but I enjoy meeting other vendors and talking shop with people along the way. I was amazed at how many people said they had a scroll saw but never use it. I was also surprised at how many people asked if I cut it with a laser. I need better signage next time that says everything is hand crafted.

I also decorated a tree with some of the ornaments I cut out. My tree took third place in the people's choice voting.

Take a look at some of the pictures of my display which is still a work in progress. The portraits don't sell very often but they do bring people in. I display them more for the appeal than to sell. But if someone offers, they can take it home. My stuff is way underprised but I sold a bunch.
    Attached Files
    Keith

It is a lovely setup you got....and yes your stuff is way more worth it,the time and effort that goes into it i would double your prices for your quality of work......but you do the pricing not me...

Danny
    Patterns are for sale on my website http://www.intarsia.co.uk

Comment

Great signage and nice displays and a good variety. Congrats....

I'm gonna sell all my tools and just buy your things and mark em at the prices I sell em for. Will save me a ton of work and I'll still make sales...LOL
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Congratulations on the best vendor prize Keith! Looks like it was well deserved. You had a really nice selection of work there. I'm glad the festival was a success. Sounds like it was a lot of fun.

You mentioned that a number of people said they had scroll saws but never used them. Hopefully some of them will want to attend the introduction to scroll sawing class I'm going to teach in your backyard next Spring. We're working out final details and scheduling now, but it looks like we're a go to have the class in May at the Sawmill Center for the Arts in Cooks Forest.

Again, great job with the show. How are you going to top it next year?
        Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

I can see you deserved the "Best Vendor", Keith! Your work is also great! As far as pricing goes, I price my work pretty close to yours. But I know what my area, and the shows I attend, will pay.
          Mind telling me where the "Joy" nativity, first pic, came from?

Paul
          www.flicker.com/photos/woodworks44224

Comment

Keith,
            Congratulations on the award.
            Nice display and I also agree with the others your prices are way too low.
            Who are the designers of the the Joy nativity(really like that) and the multi layer one picture 4?
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Congrats Keith........you must love to scroll, your work shows the love.
              Location, location, location as they say, guess that's why you priced your work so low, but if you enjoyed making them, and had fun, you have been rewarded.
              Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

I know my prices are low but they are adjusted for what sells in this area. I made $1000 at this show so I consider it a success. If the prices were higher, would I have made as much? Of course the booth next to me was selling $60 house things that I thought would never sell but several walked out the door. Their stuff was really high but it sold too. Never really know what price is right.

The Joy nativity came from Winfield Collection. They had it painted red and on a base board. It was also much larger that what I made. Their pattern would require a 2x12. I scaled it down for a 2x10. When I cut the J and Y apart from the O, I put them through the planer to thin them down so the O would pop out more. After they went through the planer, I cut them free from the rest of the wood and routed them to round over the edge. If you are doing several at a time, make sure you mark your J O Y with a number system or something similar so you can match them up again when it's time to glue them together.

Another change was that I routed out the back of the O so the nativity scene would sit beind it. The pattern wanted you to attach a piece of BB plywood to the front of the O for the scence to sit behind. I thought that would look sloppy so I did a rabbit with the router instead sort of like a picture frame. I also used a backer board instead of frosted glass with a candle like the pattern said to do. I just hot glued the backer board in. The backer is just a piece of luan. The grain texture gave an interesting effect with the nativity scence that I really liked.

The one in picture 4 is all one piece. I got the pattern again through Winfield but it came in one of their pattern sets that you get if you join their pattern club. I don't know if it is for sale individually. If you provide me with your mailing address and ask me to mail a copy to you, I would have to say no way because that is breaking copyright laws. They suggested a paint wash for the pieces. I hate painting so I stained them different colors and glued them together again.

If you are talking about the three piece set in the fifth picture, It also came from winfield. The only change I made was staining it instead of painting.
                Keith

Comment

Your stuff is really nice and very well displayed. Glad you did well. Your prices are extremely reasonable, but I hear you about adjusting prices for your area. Sometimes you just do what you have to do, essentially. If you can make $1,000 at a show where I presume the table didn't cost a lot, you did very well indeed! I'd just love to find a couple of venues like that!

Lou
                  www.woodbylouise.ca

Comment

Well Lou, like I said, I am in charge of getting vendors for the show. I can send you an application. Western Pennsylvania isn't THAT far from Nova Scotia.
                    Keith

Comment

Keith,
                      Don't get the wrong Idea I wasn't ragging on you for your prices. Anytime you can do 1000 at a small local venue you must be doing something right.
                      "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Sorry Mike. Didn't mean to come off sounding pissy. Having a fellow scroller like my work and think it's worth more money than what I am asking is a pretty high compliment.

Pricing is always my biggest question at shows. I think it's worth more but I really want to sell the items so I can come home with something in my pocket. The nativity cross by Sue Mey sold out twice this year so I think its price will have to go up. I do a bigger show in October with thousands of people attending so I raise prices for that. Festival of trees is small and local so I try to lower them a little.

Just as a bonus, I take all my left over items and display them at my school in the faculty lounge. My fellow teachers look forward to me bringing them in (they keep asking when I am going to set up). I made an additional $400 just by doing that. Everything I sell there is in incriments of $5.
                        Keith

Comment

No worries. You didnt' sound like it but I did not want to offend either. I respond to so many threads sometimes i get in a hurry and do not elaborate my thoughts fully. It is nice to have those added venues like fellow workers etc. Bonus sales if you will.
                          "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Keith,
                            I really like the changes you made to the Joy nativity. It took a nice design to one that really pops! I would never ask someone to copy a pattern and send to me. We have to keep our pattern designers employed.
                            Rolf
                            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Darn those copyright laws and ethical standards.
                              Keith

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• cwmagee
                                Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                                by cwmagee
                                Jim,

Should you ever get bored, you may have found a new retirement/career "Key Board Repair Service"
                                Today, 03:36 PM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                So true about letting the blade do to cutting....
                                Today, 02:56 PM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                                by NC Scroller
                                I have made a number of those Harvey puzzles. They are a lot of fun. You really need to be patient and let the blade cut. Even the slightest pressure can ruin your puzzle piece fit. My go to is a Pegas #3 MGT....
                                Today, 11:24 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Big week here
                                by NC Scroller
                                Congrats on your pending retirement and gaining a new daughter. I have been retired close to 6 years now and I have no idea where the time went. Yes retirement will mean some adjustment but I can tell you it is the best job I have ever had. By the way. If you think retirement means unlimited shop...
                                Today, 11:18 AM
                              • jim_mex
                                Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                                by jim_mex
                                Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Norma and I are still growing into our 'new' home but are really happy that we got this work done and everyone who has seen the transformation have been wowed.

From my side I'm really pleased with how my kitchen extension idea worked out....
                                Today, 09:17 AM
                              Working...
                              X