animal puzzle pricing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• animal puzzle pricing

I don't cut stand-up animal puzzles, but at a recent large craft show, the one scroller there, who was admittdly new to making puzzles, was selling some well-cut animal puzzles of all sorts of sizes and shapes for $30 to $50.

I didn't say anything but I did feel his prices were quite a bit high and would like to drop some hints to him. What do you sell them for?

Thanks.....

Carter

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Comment

It depends on the complexity but usually $15.00 to $20.00. Unless it is a 4-5 piece small child's puzzle those are $5-$10.00 each usually. I do have others that are $50.00 and up but they have quite a lot of detail and are hand painted.
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I have always sold my animal puzzles for $30. Bear in a box for $60.

Dave
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Harmony; 11-08-2011, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Hi Carter

Be careful that the guy that knows exactly what each piece costs him to make and expects a very small return when selling to strangers doesn't give you a few well chosen hints in return

Don't forget that he was also paying for the stand.

Comment

Sounds a bit high but there are factors to consider such as the quality and wood used.
            Scott
            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I sell all of mine no matter what they are made of for $20 or less..
              Michael.....Indy..........
              "Dream what to cut, Cut what you dream"
              On Facebook
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Custo...g/177349793474

"EX-21 is my saw for life"

Comment

Mine range in price from about $15 - $45 with most in the $30 range. I know my costs on every piece and set my pricing accordingly. I've sold a lot of puzzles at these prices and am fine in knowing that my customers (many of whom are return customers) are getting a quality piece for a fair price. Sounds like he may be doing the same.
                Don

An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
                Benjamin Franklin

At twenty years of age the will reigns; at thirty, the wit; and at forty, the judgment.
                Benjamin Franklin

A great empire, like a great cake, is most easily diminished at the edges.
                Benjamin Franklin

www.dogwoodstudiosnh.com

Comment

I sell mine for $10 - $75 depending on wood type, number of pieces, and finish. The frog pictured in a post above would go for $17.50 in unfinished birch plywood and $30 if made out of walnut and finished.
                  ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Id say two to three bucks per piece if using hardwood, and are nicely cut and flawless finish seems like a reasonable price to me, but then again, I havent done craft shows so I dont know if thats good or not.
                    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

I tried some puzzles (pine) and selling them for $10-20, but they did not sell after three festivals. A lot of people looked at them, but didn't buy. So I donated them to a local charity event...but his prices do seem high.

I have always sold my animal puzzles for $30. Bear in a box for $60.
                      Dave, luv your Bear in a Box!!! I do not do too many puzzles, but I liked your box concept...is that made using a laminate or veneer to get the 'bend' of the box? Is it your own design?
                      ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Comment

It may sound strange, but I found that when I raised prices to $20 to whatever the traffic allowed, the puzzles sold faster. I have sold the Peterson Phoenix puzzle for $100. That one was cut from aspen for the phoenix and bloodwood for the flames. The hanging macaw puzzle is $75. It's painted and large. Haven't had a complaint about the prices yet. All of my puzzles are cut from hardwoods.

Comment

Kim,

I am a Norwegian tine’ maker. So bending wood is my main craft.

The puzzle box sides are made with bending poplar veneer. I boil it for 2 minutes, place it on a form, mark, remove from form and secure overlap with copper tacks. Place back on form and then bend a lid around the side.

Cut top and bottom to fit. Drill through side and lid into top and bottom piece and secure with a round tooth pick.

I glue a thin piece on the top to cover the veneer edge.

I just design the size, the technology is 12 century.

Nordic craftsmen lace the overlap, Shaker craftsmen use copper tacks.

You can see some of my tiner in my Etsy shop.

Dave

www.harmonycraft.etsy.com

Comment

Dave - I cannot thank you enough for sharing your website and your information!!! A very interesting technique, and wonderful that you use traditional methods and give history and such for each of your gorgeous pieces. I have experimented some with bending veneers to add to my pieces...this is truly an inspiration!!!

Nothing against the 'puzzle maker' pricing...but your prices seem almost too low for such a wonderfully handcrafted piece of art/collectable.

Thank you again!
                            ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Comment

I've been selling the Peterson animal puzzles in 1" basswood finished with mineral oil for $27, some 5 piece ones for $25 and fantasy for $30. My big percentage of sales are to aunts and grandparents, with only 25% to the actual parents.

Small church shows will not sell any at that price range, people are looking for $10 and lower. I sold 40 in 7 hours last fall at a high school show, it was just the right show, well advertised and in October. Then there were all the weekend farmers markets that didn't cover the fuel and coffee to attend.

Steve.
                              Steve.
                              EX-16, DW-788, Dremel 1680

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Rolf
                                Back in the late 90's I bought a Incra 2000 Miter gauge. Incredibly precise. The problem was that it only adjusted in one direction, It rarely gets used. It locks in to half degrees. More recently I bought a Kreg fence which has a pin that precisely locates the frequently used angles.
                                That is...
                                Today, 08:15 AM
                              • Jimern
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by Jimern
                                The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that...
                                Today, 06:29 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by will8989
                                The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                                Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by will8989
                                Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                                Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                              • tgiro01
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by tgiro01
                                Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                                Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                              Working...
                              X