Second Craft show a little better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Craft show a little better

Did a second craft show yesterday. We did a lot better than the one in October. We didn't even make enough to pay for the booth and tables at that one. Yesterdays show was only about 13 miles from here and we did a little over $200 dollars. Some of the locals told me that was good for over there. This was our second year over there. Glenda hasn't looked yet but she thinks we did a little better than we did last year. I didn't get much of chance to talk to the other vendors, Glenda couldn't stay to help yesterday and my son was to busy playing outside so I didn't get to leave the booth that often. I did hear that some of the vendors from past years didn't come this time.

I did have one or two come over wanting to buy things before we were even done setting up. My second customer bought three items which more than paid for the two table rentals. They never even batted an eyelash when the purchase came close to $70.00 and yet the next person to come by looked at one of the tags, her eyes widened and she just walked away shaking her head.

In my opinion the crowd was really down from last year but I never did hear one way or the other how the crowd was this year.

Dan

I'm glad it was a success for you. I've had on many occasions other vendors purchasing prior to the opening bell. It always lifts my spirits that it will be a good day.
    Best of luck at your next one. I'm sure you are learning new things each setup.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Dan glad your shows are getting better. Post a few pics of your setup. A lot of sales can be contributed to how you present your work. Maybe the brain trust here can help you along.
      Scott
      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Glad you had a good day.
        I also would like to see some pictures. I am real curious abut what the customer balked at.
        Rolf
        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

yet the next person to come by looked at one of the tags, her eyes widened and she just walked away shaking her head.

You know, when people do like that I would like to tell them, "Okay then maybe you can go home and make it yourself."

IF she ever did any wood work she should know how much time/work/effort it takes.

Dan[/QUOTE]

Comment

The lady who walked away just made me chuckle. My wife does all the pricing and I've always thought she did a fair job of it. It was a fish welcome sign from Steve Good, it had a lot of cuts to it and it wasn't a simple thing to cut. Glenda had a price tag of $17.20 on it. It was made from 3/4" pine, stained with Danish oil, and sprayed with clear polyurethane.

I never even thought to take the camera with me yesterday. My booth is a work in process. Last year I tried using an accordian fold lattice set up. It was way to flimsy for my taste. I picked up two pieces of 2' x 8' peg boards from a guy for $5.00. I cut one into three pieces, two of them are 2' x 2', framed them out and put a base on them. The two short pieces sit at an angle one on each end of the table and the longer piece sits in the center. We put the hanging items on the peg boards. For the second table I have two separate two tiered shelfs. The front shelf is at a heighth of 6" and the back shelf is at a height of 12". Glenda puts a sheet over the top of them and then arranges the stand up items on them. The only thing I didn't like is that when sitting in the chair I couldn't see the front of the table because the peg board is so high. I'll try and remember pictures next time because there is always room for improvement. I want to use the second 2 x 8 peg board as a whole piece to set up behind the tables. But I need to be able to dismantle it so it fits in the van or pickup.

I did find it interesting that not a single Christmas item sold. As an example, Glenda had me cut a lot of Xmas ornaments that she painted and they were all still sitting there when I started to pack up. Go figure.

Dan

Comment

Dan maybe it is just me but I NEVER charge cents. On the low cost items I do have some $2.00, $3.00, $4.00 items but after that I try to stick with mostly $5.00 increments. It makes making and having change much easier.
              Scott

Comment

I'm thinking he is doing it for sales tax to make it come out on the dollar. I may be wrong.
                "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I think you're right Mike, Glenda always adds tax included on the tag and she does have a tax license. She does candy bouquets thru the hospital and other places here in town so I know she has a tax number. I don't quite understand all of it but she does, that's why I let her worry about the pricing.

Dan

Comment

I know what you mean about people coming in your both having different opions on your pricing. Some say my prices are too low so I tell them I will raise them for them if it makes them fell better.lol Others say they are too high so go figure. i price them at what I think will sell and let it go at that. If it don't sell I have it for the next show. If i still have it at the end of the year then someone gets a gift for Christmas. I think the main thing is to have fun. When that happens no more then I will stop selling. Good luck on future shows. Bobby

Comment

When people ask me "Is that the best price?" Hubby always answers, "No, I can raise it for you if you want me to." Needless to say they walk away. I also only charge even amounts then add the tax. Now in Delaware there is no sales tax, so it's even money!!!
                      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by Scrollriffic View Post
                        I know what you mean about people coming in your both having different opions on your pricing. Some say my prices are too low so I tell them I will raise them for them if it makes them fell better.lol Others say they are too high so go figure. i price them at what I think will sell and let it go at that. If it don't sell I have it for the next show. If i still have it at the end of the year then someone gets a gift for Christmas. I think the main thing is to have fun. When that happens no more then I will stop selling. Good luck on future shows. Bobby
                        The folks who say our prices are too high have the Wal-mart mentality. They want everything dirt cheap and they have no idea what went in to making the item. Those are the folks that do not believe you hand cut your projects but instead you used a laser or some automated process. The folks who think your prices are too low are fellow crafters or know someone who is. They can appreciate the effort.
                        Scott

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X