Menorahs were a success!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Menorahs were a success!

The large condo community where I live has a 2-day art show each fall. You can display 2 items (although many people sneak in several more--next year I'll know better) and price them, or just display them as NFS.

I decided to display two pivoting menorahs, one walnut and one mahogany, and priced them at $95 each. Within a few hours on the first day, both had sold.

tradtional menorah.jpg variation 1 menorah.jpg

My area certainly has the demographics to support sales of Judaica, but I think the pivot concept could be adapted to make a secular or Christian-themed candelabra that will attract attention at any crafts fair booth. If I have a chance, I'll give it a go, but I thought I'd put the idea out in case anyone feels like trying.

As many of you know, I've resisted selling my work, but it sure does help pay for tools and materials!
    Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Those are beautiful Carol. I'm trying to get one or two on the list myself.
    Congrats on the sales.
    May the wind at you back .....
    Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

Congratulations on the sales Carole. I have your plans and the cherry. I just received the 1/8 padauk. Now all I have to do is find the time to make one or two for sale if the family scarf them up first. Fat chance I will get to sell them.

george
      A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
      George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Mazel tov Carole

Comment

Thanks, everyone. It's been a long time since I displayed my work.

BTW, I'm trying to find some alternatives for the candle cups, since I had to get them online,and I'd like to have other options. I don't use a lathe, which would open up possibilities, so I picked up some 1/2" corian to play with, and I'm getting some 13/32" brass tubing on Friday that should accommodate the standard 3/8" menorah candle. If I'm successful, I'll post pictures here or on my blog.
          Carole

Comment

Well good for you. May need to adjust the price a bit if they sold that quickly. May have to start thinking in terms of tool equivalents, such as 5 Menorahs = 1 Sand Flee, or whatever is on the shopping list. Congratulations.
            Terry
            Got Moose?

Comment

Congratulations Carole! I''m not a bit surprised - your work is amazing.
              DeWalt 788

Comment

Originally posted by handybunny
                Mazel tov
                Think this is the first time I've seen those words in print. Is that the same thing they say at a wedding when the groom steps on a glass?
                If it is I thought he was saying "muzzle tub" dumbo me.
                BTW what does it mean?
                Sweeeet congratulation on your sale, may you have many more if you so choose.
                Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Thanks, Terry, Sally, and Gloria. I priced the menorahs about $35 below what I've seen them selling for online and in Judaica stores, since I paid no commission or exhibiting fee. I wanted to keep them under $100, and had about $15 each in material costs, so that worked well. I can see the importance of having something in a display that draws folks in, even if just out of curiosity. I'm still up in the air about sales, but there's time to ponder that.

Gloria, your question about the meaning of Mazel Tov got me to thinking. Yes, it is what is said a wedding when the groom steps on a glass, and usually means "congratulations" although more literally "good luck". However, since I have a very limited knowledge base in this area, I did a google search, and came up with an interesting answer from a knowledgeable rabbi. The answer also gives a sense of the type of discussion that occurs among rabbis and Jewish scholars. I thought it was interesting, so I decided to include the link, in case you'd like to check it out.

What Does ?Mazel Tov? Mean? - Kabbalah & The Mystical
                  Carole

Comment

Congrats.... Glad it worked out. Maybe Fox will reconsider.
                    Scott
                    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Scott, I think their decision was final. But maybe, in the future, they might consider a collection of religious-themed projects from a variety of faiths, that are new and different. Could even be a compilation from various authors as they've done in other areas.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see. Meantime, I'm on a roll, and will continue to turn out all sorts of new stuff to share with you guys. Thanks for the support.
                      Carole

Comment

Nice work . Perhaps you could include some patterns as an insert in future books .

Roger

Comment

Roger, if projects that people are interested in are not suitable for publication through the usual channels, I'll make them available one way or another. There's always the forum, my blog, and YouTube.

Thanks for your support and interest.
                          Carole

Comment

Hi Carole,
                            I'm late coming into this, But I wanted to tell you that I love your Menorahs.
                            I'm hoping to squeeze in one before the Holidays. I have a nice piece of mahogany set aside for it.
                            I'm non denominational, but I love the warmth that comes at this time of year. I figure the word is the word. It's all about love anyway. So I want to have a Menorah displayed along with my mini Chistmas tree....
                            Thanks for sharing...

Oh, and congrats on the sales......!!!
                            Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
                            No task is too tedious for Art.
                            Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
                            Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

It's my pleasure to share with such a great group of caring and giving people.

And thank you, Jim, for all your efforts to spread the word about inlay. Got me hooked, for sure!
                              Carole

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                                Farmers market "survey"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
                                I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
                                For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
                                Today, 11:14 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
                                Today, 11:00 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Sawstop instructions are some of the best I've ever worked with. Each part comes labeled with a letter to match instructions, hardware in color coded and labeled to match labels and colors in instructions. Full poster size instructions with pics in addition to manual instructions. Could only find one...
                                Today, 09:57 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Rolf
                                So glad they were supportive, it is a bit disappointing that they had to be. But like any tool manufacturer they have to out source many of the components like the motor. At least the motor is mounted externally for an easy change. How true was the blade to the miter slots etc.
                                I like the fact...
                                Today, 08:34 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by will8989
                                Steve posted it about 2 weeks ago. I just put out a small sampling of items to see what people are interested in. Seems to be everything! I did notice I had more credit charges than last year. But the ones who paid cash were the ones who paid $7 for a gallon of milk and $10 for a loaf of sourdough bread....
                                Today, 08:17 AM
                              Working...
                              X