Has the economy affected your sales?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has the economy affected your sales?

I was just wondering about it with the economy being kind of bad right now, with alot of people out of work, etc.
    I haven't done any woodcrafting in a long time but I'm itching to get started again.
    and I'm hoping to make and sell a few things.
    I just want to do it.......I don't need to make a living at it, but if I get into it again it does need to sustain itself. I can't spend all my monthly retirement check on wood if I can't get something back out of it.
    So just wondering if the sales have slowed down for you?

Overall I would say yes but people still like to give gifts at the holidays and many of my customers are looking to give a unique/special gifts,
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Sales have dropped dramatically. I sell my scroll saw art as a fundraiser for the Arizona Lions Clubs Handicapped camp. Over the years I have been doing this I have been able to give them over $34,000.00.
      I show at craft shows, bar hopping, etc.
      This year my donations have fallen over 50%.
      Hopefully the holiday season will help restore some.

John
      Old Dust

Comment

I would say it certainly has affected my sales. I sell my small intarsia pieces though a booth (not my own, I sell to the vendor) in Halifax where the cruise ships dock from May through the end of October. The season is virtually over and my sales are down at least two-thirds. I'll soon have the final number, but it's not good. I'm told all the vendors there have had a very bad year. Most ships are either from Europe or America. My guess that the state of the world's economy is at the root of the poor sales. People can afford the cruise, perhaps, as those prices have gone down, but can't afford the extras. I'm hoping to do better locally over the Christmas season. Time will tell. But my heart bleeds for the poor vendors who have paid steep booth fees for so little in return this year.

Lou
        www.woodbylouise.ca

Comment

hi, catlyn! we in AR have SURELY felt the economic pinch! i would think that artists/crafters such ourselves are the first to know when the economy is slowing down. the disposable income people used to have, well, .... btw, i'm from Morrilton. wouldn't mind sharing some wood with ya if you're even close to me. let me know @: [email protected].

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that sales have dropped that dramatically.
            Times are lean everywhere I guess.
            Hopefully things will pick up again in about another year if we make a different decision in November 2012. I don't want to start a political discussion here so that's all I'm going to say. I'm just worried about the economy as I know you all must also be concerned and I know it has affected everyone everywhere in some form or another.
            Just hope and pray things will improve soon.
            If I buy a scrollsaw I'd like for it to be able to pay for itself.

Comment

My sales are way off this year too. However part of that is due to my injury and not being able to attend any shows all summer, web sales are down 50% year to date. That being aid it still pays for itself as a hobby and restocks the shelves with materials and paid for a new ex 21 this year. Looking forward to a successful holiday season, time will tell.
              "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
              Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Originally posted by wood-n-things View Post
                My sales are way off this year too. However part of that is due to my injury and not being able to attend any shows all summer, web sales are down 50% year to date. That being aid it still pays for itself as a hobby and restocks the shelves with materials and paid for a new ex 21 this year. Looking forward to a successful holiday season, time will tell.
                Yeah, I was thinking if I buy an Excalibur that's going to be a bit over $800.00 and I'd like to have the inside of my workshop sealed for heating and cooling, so I'm going to be putting out well over $1500 to start so this woodcrafting needs to help pay for that and keep my shelves restocked.

Comment

Catlyn,

You will need to face reality too, <smile> You are brand new to the craft/art/hobby. It is going to take some time to build your expertise, it does not happen over night. You also need to build a reputation in your local community, and make contacts and that does not even address building inventory. It takes a diversified inventory to create sales. None of us who sell, can predict what we will sell unless they only make one or a few things & that dramatically diminishes your potential pool of customers.

Be patient and don't get discouraged but remember you don't even have a saw yet. I for one have been doing this off and on since 1984 seriously doing it since 2001.
                  "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                  Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Originally posted by beefjerky View Post
                    hi, catlyn! we in AR have SURELY felt the economic pinch! i would think that artists/crafters such ourselves are the first to know when the economy is slowing down. the disposable income people used to have, well, .... btw, i'm from Morrilton. wouldn't mind sharing some wood with ya if you're even close to me. let me know @: [email protected].
                    Hey, Jim,
                    I sent you an email.
                    cathy

Comment

the economy here in ireland is bummer,everything is down,not sure as too how it affects crafting as i rarely sell stuff,sure if omeone asks me i will do somthing,but uasaly i make thing because i like it,and if people see it and want it,then i will sell it.yes i would like too sell more,too cover my costs,but people aint buying at the moment.
                      not doing much
                      and busy doing it

having fun making sawdust.

http://www.customcutz4you.webs.com/

Comment

Here in West Texas sales have been steady for me over the past three years but I do see less vendors at the shows. Our unemployment rate here is not as bad as in other states but is lately increasing a bit. I am sure sales are effected by that. I have recently added the ability to take credit cards and that has increased sales by 25%- 50%
                        Last edited by Jim Finn; 10-15-2011, 12:43 PM.
                        Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
                        "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Finn View Post
                          Here in West Texas sales have been steady for me over the past three years but I do see less vendors at the shows. Our unemployment rate here is not as bad as in other states but is lately increasing a bit. I am sure sales are effected by that. I have recently added the ability to take credit cards and that has increased sales by 25%- 50%
                          I've been to several craft fairs and festivals here lately....this is the time of year for it.
                          I've noticed there are not nearly as many vendors as about 5 years ago.
                          One little festival we used to have right here in my little town has just completely dissappeared. Every year it was less and less. They didn't even have one this year. Just nobody to sell or buy I suppose.
                          Some of the larger festivals in nearby towns are still going on but they're smaller this year.
                          Hopefully things will pick up in a year or so. I sure hope so cause I'm itching to get my scroll saw. I going to try some consignment shops and maybe online to sell.

Comment

As others have said sales are down here as well overall. I see the number of attendees as well as vendors down at just about every show I've done this year. I can't agree more with Mike, one has to have some diversity in their offerings or be really lucky and make something everyone has to have (if you figure that out please be sure and share it ). As someone else mentioned I too started taking credit cards this year which has significantly helped my business. I've seen both deals that turned into a sale that wouldn't have as well as add-ons to the item they originally intended to purchase.

Good luck, be sensible with the shows you do as many I've talked to haven't recouped their table fees at times. Remember also, to enjoy it!
                            Don

An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
                            Benjamin Franklin

At twenty years of age the will reigns; at thirty, the wit; and at forty, the judgment.
                            Benjamin Franklin

A great empire, like a great cake, is most easily diminished at the edges.
                            Benjamin Franklin

www.dogwoodstudiosnh.com

Comment

Not sure if it's due to the economy or not but the craft show my wife went to yesterday was a bust. Out of the 130 some odd items she took she sold 4 items. It did not even cover the cost of the booth and tables. This is our first attendance to this show so we have nothing to compare it to. Glenda said a lot of people made comments, asked her if she was sure it was hand cut and not laser cutting, and a lot of people looked but just not buying. According to the people in charge of the craft show there were at least 800 people there yesterday. I wondered at first if we had things priced to high but she said only 1 person griped about the price so I didn't think that was too bad.

I saw the list of vendors last night and there were about 75 vendors there with less than a dozen selling wood related items. She said her sister and brother in law apparently sold a lot of their stuff and seemed to be doing well. So I don't know if it's something we did wrong or could have done differently. About the only good thing is, is that Glenda's brother in law gaver her some oak and pine boards he had planed down to send back to me.

Dan A

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                                The bags seem easier on the surface.
                                But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                                Today, 03:24 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                                Today, 10:32 AM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                                Today, 09:46 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by NC Scroller
                                I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                                Today, 07:42 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                by NC Scroller
                                I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
                                Today, 07:39 AM
                              Working...
                              X