Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you price your items?

No, not calculating prices but this:

How do you display the prices for your items at craft shows?

Up until now, I've printed the description and prices on business card blanks and attach them to the display near the item. I really want to come up with a better, nicer looking way of letting the customers know the price. I imagine y'all have some good methods so I thought I'd ask.

Some items like bookmarks I make up a sign with the all inclusive price on it and letting folks know I do custom orders.

On my puzzles most have a small sticker on them as they are either in shrink wrap or a zip style baggie with a header with my logo printed on it. If I use my logo it has a place to write the price on.

My crosses are displayed outside any packaging an each has a small self adhesive circle on them with the price.

I try to have as much signage as I can around my booth and each says I ship and encourage custom orders and personalization. I am continually coming up with new signs.

I see lots of folks us the string tags and they look tacky to me, flopping around in the breeze, I'm sure it is a matter of personal preference.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I prefer the string tags myself since I've had too many of the self stick tags stick too good to the wood and leave a residue when removing it. But, I make sure that the tags aren't visable if possible.
      T
      Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Like Mike, I use signs for bulk items like bookmarks, letter openers and refrigerator magnets. Bagged items like puzzles get a sticker on the bag along with a choking hazard sign if appropriate.

Like Theresa, I use stickers on the bottom or back side of larger items but I also have found that they may leave a residue when removed. However, there are numerous products on the market that remove sticker goo very well without harming the finish.

george
        A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
        George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

I use bi-fold hang-tags for pricing my items. The front cover has my logo and business name along with the title of the piece, the inside top has my business vision statement, the inside bottom has a description of the piece and the back has the price, "handmade in the USA by Kevin Daly" and my website.
          Kevin
          Scrollsaw Patterns Online
          Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Thanks for the answers.

Kevin, I like the hang tag idea but have a few questions. How big are the hang tags? Do you print them yourself? How do you attach them to the product.

Everyone else, Is there anything special you do when making signs? Is it just 8 1/2 x 11 paper / cardstock, or do you do something more in keeping with woodworking?

Comment

The hang-tags are about 1 1/2 X 3 (give or take). I print them myself using Printmaster. For free standing items I just stand them in front of the pieces on the shelves in the booth. For hangings, I use a hole punch and tie a gold string to the tag and typically will just scotch tape the other end to the back of the piece in such a way that the tag is easily accessible. For storage I just stick them between the frame and the piece or just wrap them up with the piece.
              Kevin
              Scrollsaw Patterns Online
              Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Mark - I am with Kevin, I like the homemade tags. Once you get the 'template' down, they are really easy to print out, cut, punch and string...and look very professional. For my tags I have a blank area for the title of the piece and $_____ for the price. Then I just fill in the blanks. Initially I had individual printed tags for each, but then the wind would come up or get lost in setup/tear down, so now I make them all blank. I use cover stock, but a 60# or heavier paper hold up well. Typical copy paper is 20-24# and just does not seem heavy enough to hold up with the string and wind...plus if you print on both sides you can see the print image from the other side. If using a heavier paper you may want to consider 'scoring' the fold (if you use that format) so it looks cleaner. As a side note, I used to use the store bought string tags until certain people on this forum set me straight - lol!

Regarding any signs, there are a couple ways I would recommend. Depending on your booth configuration you can print out different size signs and laminate them to hang up on your display boards or lay on the table. You can pick up self-laminating kits (you don't need the machine and all that jazz) at Wally World and such for about a dollar a sheet. This way your signs are durable and you can use them over and over without the edges getting ratty. The other way are the clear acrylic self-standing table tents (like in restaurants). I bought several (3 x 5, 4 x 6, 8 x 10) at an office supply store and paid waaaay toooo much!!! As I later found the picture frames at Wally World were pretty much the same things, just cheaper!

Another suggestion - I invested in a small cutting board years ago and it has been a life saver instead of using a straignt edge and blade! You may not think you would use it much...but I use mine for all kinds of projects!

If you would like help in designing/layout of a tag just send me a pm and I will see what we can come up with.

Good Luck!!!
                ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Comment

String tags for fret cuts, business cards for bowls, wall signs for other things of a similar nature. The cards describe the wood, the finish, purpose and care, and the price.
                  Got Moose?

Comment

Thank you everyone. The answers did help.

As I said, I want to get away from the plain white price cards. For the smaller items, I'm printing the same cards but with a woodgrain background. For the larger items, I'm going to the folded hang tag - also printed with a woodgrain background.

Comment

Mark, you might get lucky to find some 'woodgrain' paper at a stationary/scrapbook store for a reasonable price instead of 'printing' your background. If your printer is anything like mine they eat up the toner and the ink cartridges are getting higher and higher every day! Just a suggestion.
                      ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Comment

Kim,

Thanks for the idea. I'll keep my eye out for wood-grain paper in the future.

One think I've decided is sometimes it's cheaper just to use the ink rather than spending the time and effort to search for just the right paper for a special project. If I find it while I'm out and about, great.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• cwmagee
                          Pegas Large Scrollsaw Table
                          by cwmagee
                          A couple of months ago I ordered the Large Pegas Scroll Saw Table for my EX21 from Denny which I received about a week later. I installed it immediately and made a few test cuts. Since then I have been busy with several Urban renewal projects around house as well putting the yard to bed for the winter....
                          Today, 07:28 PM
                        • Rolf
                          Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                          by Rolf
                          Back in the late 90's I bought a Incra 2000 Miter gauge. Incredibly precise. The problem was that it only adjusted in one direction, It rarely gets used. It locks in to half degrees. More recently I bought a Kreg fence which has a pin that precisely locates the frequently used angles.
                          That is...
                          Today, 08:15 AM
                        • Jimern
                          Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                          by Jimern
                          The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that...
                          Today, 06:29 AM
                        • will8989
                          Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                          by will8989
                          The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                          Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                        • will8989
                          Reply to Farmers market
                          by will8989
                          Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                          Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                        Working...
                        X