Different preferences and philosophys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different preferences and philosophys

I have a question about your philosophy on what you make and sell. There is no right and wrong answer, but I thought it would be an interesting discussion.

First some background (I know it's a little long):

I just got done with my first craft festival since last November. I did much better than expected, and will post pictures when I have a chance to upload them and clean them up.

I sell a lot of things that can be stack cut from 1/8" baltic birch, including both flat and 3D ornaments and other pieces. I have very few individually cut items. I'm selling the flat ornaments for $3.00, and the 3d ones for $5.00 and sell a lot of them. Usually, I earn 2x or more my booth fee just selling these. My prices go up for more complex items, to around $80.00.

Another item I had is some of Sue Mey's nativity crosses. I reduced the size about 25%, stack cut them from 1/8 baltic birch, then mounted with a colored background that was the outline of the cross. I asked and got $20.00 each for them.

One other scroll sawyer was there and we talked toward the end of the show. While we didn't discuss actual money, I believe I did much better than he did. He had some of Sue's crosses, and they were full size and cut from 3/4" hardwood. (Unfortunately, I didn't have time to go down to his booth to see how much he was asking.) He also has a lot of stand up puzzles, also 3/4" wood. I believe he was 'proud' of the fact that he doesn't stack cut anything.

Here's the question for discussion - If you produce to sell at craft shows, etc. - Do you prefer to cut a few real nice pieces and try to get as much as you can for them, or would you rather have a large number items that you can sell for less per unit, and make it up in volume.
    Last edited by markdavd; 09-12-2011, 02:09 PM.

I do both. I stack cut as much as I can like ornaments an Sue Key crosses but I also make a lot of 3/4" stuff too.

Comment

I prefer doing intarsia so there is no question of stack cutting. I don't do fretwork. Intarsia is priced (at least by me) by the complexity as well as the number of pieces and the woods used. I also sell standup puzzles cut from 3/4" thick hardwoods and sell them for anywhere from $15 to $95 depending again on complexity and the wood used. I have no trouble selling them for these prices but I am in an affluent area where people tend to spend money on things they like.

Jan

Comment

I stack cut what I can - mostly ornaments. But I do intarsia pieces too, so they are cut seperately.

My ornaments are cut from hardwoods in various thicknesses. I sell them for $4.50 and up.
        A "rule-of-thumb" to determine if a show is a "good" one, is if you sell 10x your booth fee. This varies of course, sometimes I consider a show "good" if I get some good leads to other places to sell, or other information. If you are selling a lot of ornaments and only ending up w/twice your booth fee, you might consider raising your prices.
        T
        Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

My ornaments tend to cover the booth fee, and usually double it or more. It's the larger pieces that raise the sales alot higher. If the larger items are stack cut, it's even better.

I do make some intarsia and other 'one at a time' pieces, but they don't tend to move very fast. In my opinion, if that's all I had, I wouldn't be able to do anywhere near as well.

This last show, sales were almost 12x the booth fee, and probably 1/3 or that were stack cut $5.00 items.

Continue on your thoughts on that topic. Every one of us have different ideas and preferences.

Next question - how do you politely get rid of the guy who stops by and won't leave, wanting to show you pictures of the cabinets he just made (or whatever), keeping you from being able to deal with your (potential) customers?

Comment

I do a little of both. I love making people smile and found that if I have some $2 to $5 items, I sell many of those and they tell others about the booth. When the others come back, I sometimes sell them some of the more expensive items also. Sometimes if someone is walking around with a small handmade, wooden item others will see it and ask where they got that. And that makes me smile.

As far as the potentially "annoying" customer, I told the guy that it sounds like he makes some great stuff, offer him a business card, and tell him to call me sometime when I have more time to talk. Some times they call back, most times they don't.
            Dan H

I would rather be friendly to a stranger than be a stranger to my friends.

Comment

I make and sell scroll saw items also. I do no fretwork, little intarsia, but do a lot of inlay and make toys also. I also make trunks and wooden cornucopias. (non scroll saw stuff) I display well over 100 different items at each show. (2-3 shows per month, year round) I sell my stuff cheaply because the wages here in Lubbock Texas are low as is the cost of living. My sales do fund my hobby but not much more than that. I offer lots of $12 items and just a few in the $50- $125 range. I sell toys for $5 each. I average 10 times my space rent, in sales, as was mentioned. I just started taking credit card sales, so the sale of the higher priced items may work better now. The way I look at it is: my customers are funding MY hobby.
              Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
              "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

I've always tried to have a large variety of items and prices. With regards to scroll sawn stuff, I stack cut everything I can (including mini-clocks). I sell fretwork, intarsia, ornaments, boxes, clocks, puzzles as well as small furnishings. The price range in my both varies but typically I offer items from $3 - $300 and occasionally will have a 1 or 2 thousand dollar piece. The 10X booth fee is an ok rule for inexpensive shows, but for shows costing 500 or 1000 dollars 2 or 3 times booth is pretty good and 5 times booth is awesome.
                Kevin
                Scrollsaw Patterns Online
                Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

I try to have a variety of both large and small items (although few very large ones). The smaller ornaments and magnets sell much more quickly and easily than larger intarsia, but selling a few larger items raises the profits significantly, and hopefully what doesn't sell at this show will sell at a future one or online. My pieces usually vary from $3 (a small inlaid star) to a few $200-275 items. My main show has a $600 entry fee and I would be EXTREMELY delighted to get 10 times that fee but I don't expect it to happen, yet I would be disappointed to only get $100 for a $10 table. As Kevin points out, there's lots of wiggle room in those figures.

Lou
                  www.woodbylouise.ca

Comment

Personally unless I already had a rather good following in a given location. I'd be very hesitant about paying $600.00 for an entry fee. Just because it is expensive to enter, does not mean the customers will part with their money, in your booth....

I'd want a couple of seasons at less expensive venues under my belt first.

I know Lou and Betty and Kevin and a few others have had success at these venues. Kudos to them.
                    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I will stack cut what I can. If the design allows, I will even us my planer to reduce stock to 3/8 o I can stack two. If I can't get below 1/2" then I will single cut them. On 1/8 BB ornaments I will stack 5 or 6 depending on the complexity.
                      Scott
                      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I stack cut everything I can. I would love to cut 1/8" Baltic Birch ornaments but I personally do not like the look of them. Guess I got too used to looking at real hard wood and am spoiled. Though I have a plan to cut more of the 1/8" BB ply ornaments I still do not like them but I do want to offer some lower cost ornaments.

I have only ever done one show that was the shows first year and my booth was $10 and I only had a few ornaments, bookmarks and letter openers ( I actually didn't do the show my aunt did) I sold $60..I think I would have done much better if I had more items and my aunt have the table really cluttered with her stuff and my items was hard to see.

Kevin
                        Kevin
                        www.KevsKrafts.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• cwmagee
                          Pegas Large Scrollsaw Table
                          by cwmagee
                          A couple of months ago I ordered the Large Pegas Scroll Saw Table for my EX21 from Denny which I received about a week later. I installed it immediately and made a few test cuts. Since then I have been busy with several Urban renewal projects around house as well putting the yard to bed for the winter....
                          Yesterday, 07:28 PM
                        • Rolf
                          Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                          by Rolf
                          Back in the late 90's I bought a Incra 2000 Miter gauge. Incredibly precise. The problem was that it only adjusted in one direction, It rarely gets used. It locks in to half degrees. More recently I bought a Kreg fence which has a pin that precisely locates the frequently used angles.
                          That is...
                          Yesterday, 08:15 AM
                        • Jimern
                          Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                          by Jimern
                          The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that...
                          Yesterday, 06:29 AM
                        • will8989
                          Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                          by will8989
                          The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                          10-20-2020, 11:10 PM
                        • will8989
                          Reply to Farmers market
                          by will8989
                          Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                          10-20-2020, 10:31 PM
                        Working...
                        X