Alternative ideas for shows to sell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative ideas for shows to sell

I was just thinking, it would be an interesting thread to start of alternative types of shows besides your regular Arts & Craft shows. We attended and were vendors at a Cat Show in Portland, OR this weekend. It's not your normal arts & crafts type show. Vendors of cat products are the main stay but myself and several other crafters also attended. Our friends make handmade rugs out of Pendleton Woolen Mills products as well as kitty hives. She was spinning cat hair into yarn at the show (My kitty generously contributed for this). Another artist who specializes in painting cats also attended. I was there with my intarsia cats as well as other pieces, along with my husband who does Fractal Art.

Other types of venues are out there. If you have tried these types of venues, please post here. It gives all of us new ideas of places to try.

Some other venues include dog shows, horse shows, and car shows as well. What types have you done? Have you had much success at them?
    Janette
    www.square-designs.com

I had pretty good luck at a local car show. They were impressed by their booth prices though. $150 for 2 days. I took a gamble and it was well worth it. I have a couple of items hanging in my Drt's office as well as my dentists office and have made contact with a local vet. I'm going to contact the 2 kennels and groomers I have found in the area. Just to display special order items that are pet related.

I'm thinking of trying the local rodeo this summer. I attended last year to see how it was and the vendor booths were all busy. Most were offering to keep sold items in the booth until folks headed home. Great idea so they did not have to go back to their car or pack an item around all day.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Great idea Mike to have a check-in for purchases at events such as the rodeo. I would suggest a numbered ticket system of some sort -- half for the customer and your half with their phone or email on it in case they forget to collect it. Magic

Comment

Janette, I have done only one show, and it was very successful. The Woodcraft store where I teach had a Wood Art show this last December. There were about 25 wood artist showing and selling their wood art. There were carvers, turners, box makers, guitar makers, flute makers and even a fellow who makes and plays Digeridoo's. And of course my Scroll Work.
        The owners of the store were looking for more exposure and thought this would be a good idea, and it was! I think they had 1500 people come through the store that day.
        The store rang up the purchases and collected sales tax, so we didn't have to. There was no booth charge, but the store kept 20%.
        The advantage of this show was that the customers new that only quality hand made wooden products would be available!
        Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

Our local business improvement association has summer parties in the park.
          Many vendors have 10x10 popups and sell all kinds of wares.
          While I was at our local fair a lady had a display at the fair and one at the park. The park outsold the fair dramatically.
          She was not selling crafts though she was selling Pampered Chef products.
          The cool thing about the fair is each week has a different theme. That could be a good target if you can match the market.
          CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
          "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
          Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

I believe Pampered chief products shouldn't be at craft fairs, they are company , and should not be there, that is one of my pet peeves, also people selling tupperware, this item also should be kept out. this crap ruins craft fairs.
            http://www.scrollsawer.com/gallery/s...00&ppuser=6384

Comment

I have not done any but I understand ther are craft fairs on military bases. ALso, I understand one can get a booth to sell crafts at gun shows.
              Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
              "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

For many years the wife and I sold animal art at dog shows all across the Country. I am the wood worker and my wife is the paint artist. We made sign, magnets, ornaments, etc. that look just like the customers dogs and cats. Got so busy, we decided to stay home and do wholesale only through sales reps. This went very well for many years. These days, allot of the smaller Mom and Pop stores have closed down, so we only wholesale to people that sell retail at the dog and cat shows. Animal people will always pay money for something that looks like their dog...cat people do not seem to spend as much money.
                Hawaiilad
                Larry

Comment

Originally posted by edward View Post
                  I believe Pampered chief products shouldn't be at craft fairs, they are company , and should not be there, that is one of my pet peeves, also people selling tupperware, this item also should be kept out. this crap ruins craft fairs.
                  This is why I stick to mainly juried arts & craft shows. Presumably, the jury will weed anything not handcrafted by the artist out. If you do shows that are not juried - then you get what you get, meaning, anyone who is willing to pay the booth fee. They're just trying to make a living too.

Any show producer who is producing an arts & crafts show should definitely not have things like tupperware and pampered chef. That's a good way to not get artists and crafters in future shows. It also shows that they can't fill up a show with the type of vendors they want - likely for a good reason.
                  Janette
                  www.square-designs.com

Comment

Excuse me, Edward, but Pampered Chef, Tupperware, Avon, Cookie Lee, etc are not crap. They are businesses that consultants can and do make a good living with. They take just as much time and devotion to get to the point of making money as crafting does, be it jewelry making, woodworking, etc. I know many consultants who make $10,000+ part time doing this "crap." Do they belong in craft shows? No. And I won't apply to any who do have them. I only do juried shows.

Betty
                    Avon, Unit Leader, President's Club
                    Pampered Chef Consultant

Now you see why that ticked me off.
                    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

The son sells chainsaw art seasonally at a roadside location in AK, and I peddle a few things there as well. It sold about as fast as I made it, and I made lots of time for fishing and grandkids and dog walks. And it paid for some new tools and toys. So any wood-related festival or fixed location business might be winner, and I know there are a number of chainsaw carving festivals in the west. Believe there are some on the OR coast this spring that may be worth a look. They have a "quick carve" ( it took under an hour to make) auction and things sell for hundreds of $$ at the auctions. The contests are 'shows' that last 3 days. You may also find some fixed-location retailers doing the same thing, such as we do in AK. Just another alternative, but one I'm quite pleased with. A bit tongue-in-cheek, I will take consignments if anyone wants to try it.
                      Terry
                      Got Moose?

Comment

Originally posted by edward View Post
                        The original post was looking for alternatives to the craft/art shows to sell your products. So, why would Pamper chef etc NOT be allowed to sell at these alternatives?? You aren't at a craft show, so you should be aware that there will be other type of vendors there.

We have a Firemen's Memorial Festival every year - their vendors range from manufactured T-shirts, hats, etc, to the hand crafted products. I've sold here a few years, but it is a dusty site and the last year I was there it was too much of a hassle to keep things clean.
                        Our farmers' market allows hand crafted wood products like bird houses etc. I haven't tried this with what I make -
                        T
                        Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Some great ideas here. I never thought of a dog show. I will consider selling at a local dog show this summer. Thanks again.

Jim
                          www.jameskowens.com

Comment

A little information to anyone wishing to sell their items at dog shows. For the most part, if it is a large show, you will need to find out who is taking care of the space rental for the show sometimes 6 months in advance. A good show does not have a problem renting the spaces and most of them have the same vendors year after year. "BUT" if you have an item that others do not...that the dog people will like, they just might find a space for you. What we learned over the years of selling at the dog shows, is to keep calling and if you can send them pictures of what you make.
                            Hawaiilad
                            Larry

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X