Collie - progress pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collie - progress pictures

I finally got back out into the shop yesterday after being sick for a week. Thought I'd share some "in progress" pictures of the Collie I'm working on. It is 30" X 31" in size. Woods used so far include buckeye burl, blue pine, western red cedar, maple burl, aspen, ebony, peruvian walnut, hemlock, katalox, alder, um...there's more but you get the idea!

spiritweb.JPGIMG_2581a.jpgIMG_2582a.jpg
    Janette
    www.square-designs.com

OMG I can't even imagine how you do that......awesome
    Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

OMG was my first thought as well, then came WOW. You have the expression of the face perfect. You obviously have a large stock of different woods to work from, but to know which ones so the job is still beyond my talents.

Cant wait to see the final.
      Lois

Comment

Originally I was supposed to do a nice normal sable and white collie- but then they changed their minds to this one. My first thought was OMG too when I saw the coloring on the dog! I've used 13 different varieties of wood so far. I got really lucky on the face - I had some buckeye burl scraps that a turner friend of mine had given me (I wouldn't let them use it for firewood!).

(ps..Lois-- I lived in Mississauga for many years before moving out here to Oregon!)
        Janette
        www.square-designs.com

Comment

Even a thousand words cannot discribe a picture but wowweee what (thousand words)...am allready waiting for the finished result.
          Can't wait till the winter is over...

Danny
          My website: www.intarsia.co.uk
          That stuff on the floor....did my head just lost it??

Comment

You sure have some talent! I like the way you captured the expression perfectly.
            Tammy

Pressure makes diamonds

Comment

You go girl!!! Looks like another spectacular job in the works. You never cease to amaze me.

Andy
              Shoot for the moon. If you miss you'll be headed for a star! www.80artdesigns.com

Comment

Do you have a drawing that you put together for this that you are working from? You do an incredible job of capturing the photo, and it goes beyond just doing an intarsia of a collie. I mean it is the collie in the pic. Nice work!

Chris

Comment

Chris - I make a pattern /sketch from the photo that I work from. I also have about 8 or 9 pictures of the dog in various angles and poses to try to see what coloring is best. Thank you- I spend a lot of time on my custom ones to try to capture the animal.
                  Janette
                  www.square-designs.com

Comment

That will definitely be awesome. Looks huge too!
                    Jeff Powell

Comment

Janette
                      That is awesome! You capture not only the likeness
                      of the dog.......you also capture it's spirit! Keep the
                      progress pics coming.
                      Dave
                      "Tight's tight, too tight's broken"

My Gallery

Comment

what a beatiful job..!!amazing..!i love dogs,expecially collie..!

Comment

Janette
                          That Collie looks great, real or from wood. Great job.

www.pajarostudiowns.com
                          Excalibur EX-21 fanatic
                          One of the Chosen few

"The Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated......I am retired!!!!!!!".

Comment

That is sure going to be one awesome piece when it is done. Good work and keep setting an example and goal for us to work towards.
                            Hawk G4
                            http://www.scrollsawer.com/gallery/s...00/ppuser/4243

Comment

Janette,

The thought occured to me last night when I was looking at your article in the magazine, that you have a great eye for what wood to use for what colors of the piece. This shows in the collie too.
                              How do you suggest us novices get an idea of what woods to use when we do our own pieces? You had to start somewhere. It would be prohibitive to order a ton of different speices to get samples.
                              Dan

-Just do'in the best I can every day

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Reply to Hope everyone had a safe holiday.
                                by will8989
                                Sorry to hear that Scott. Bruce had it but I never did. And I try to isolate from Bruce whenever I can. ūü§™ We were even around our son and grandson right before they were diagnosed and nothing for us. I guess I overdid the shopping Carole. I tried to sign onto our bank tonight and it is ‚Äútemporarily...
                                Yesterday, 11:31 PM
                              • Jim McDonald
                                by Jim McDonald
                                My saw is in a severe state of depression due to alleged abandonment. We have been clearing Becky's office since her retirement. She one of the last two original occupants of that new building in 2001, so it has been a lot of trips to the recycling bin with student thesis files, convention papers and...
                                Yesterday, 07:07 PM
                              • Redlee
                                Hello all, new here.
                                by Redlee
                                New here and looking for some help and guidance on scroll work and saws.
                                I have a Hegner M25S and have recently made some upgrades and would like to improve the blade clamping. So looking for ideas and help.
                                Thanks
                                Yesterday, 05:54 PM
                              • Ralph123
                                Reply to Clock hardware Kits.
                                by Ralph123
                                I didn't get the message. What address did you send it to?
                                Yesterday, 02:05 PM
                              • meflick
                                by meflick
                                Whatever therapy works for you - is a good therapy. Glad your touch/retail therapy was beneficial for you Betty.

Scott, I am so sorry to ear that you and your wife have both had to fight through Covid. I hope this means that you are both on your way to healing, if a bit slowly....
                                Yesterday, 12:14 PM
                              Working...
                              X