Looking for help in making smooth shiny black animal eyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for help in making smooth shiny black animal eyes

I would really appreciate some help on how to make beautiful black smooth eyes. I am a newbie and I am trying to make a dog.

Ebony is a black wood though it is hard to find and very expensive. For round eyes l have taken pieces of dowel and rounded them on a sanding wheel. When I get the shape that I want I stain them with ebony stain.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

There are companies out there that sell all types of animal eyes.I have used them in the past and they really make a big difference in the
      finished item.Try and google them,sure you can find something.
      Will

Comment

Search Amazon for black eyes.

Comment

Yes I know ebony is expensive. but it is what I use for all of my animal eyes. If round I turn them on my lathe, sand and polish them. I like it because with a high gloss they pick up the light in the room and appear to follow you. I have also use black walnut and Wenge. Sand and polish . I also have put a thin coat of clear nail polish as a final coat.
          The eyes and buttons on this snowman are polished ebony.
          Snow man croped.jpg
          Rolf
          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I use Wenge. It is black with red streaks.
            Denny
            ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Craig, it might help to give more information about what type of dog you're making. Given the variety of projects that can be made with the scroll saw, it could range from artistic and realistic, to cartoonish and childlike.

For example, is it a puzzle, child's toy, intarsia? Each of these might call for a different approach, such as ebony for a realistic intarsia animal, or wood painted black and lacquered or even a purchased eye for a child's toy.
              Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Ebonized Black Walnut - Soak a golf-ball sized hunk of steel wool in white vinegar overnight. Throw the steel wool away after 24 hours. Shape your eyes the you want them - then paint them with the vinegar mixture. Watch them turn black. Now you can coat them with a few coats of gloss poly.
                Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

Love the snowman Rolf. Whose pattern is it?
                  Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

A Kathy Wise book of ornaments, or more like a pamphlet.

Cover.jpg
                    Rolf
                    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Thanks. I remember seeing her at an open house at fox chapel many years ago.
                      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                        Reply to Bruce’s new toys
                        by will8989
                        I forgot to mention the 5000 watt(?) generator his brother gave him. His brother does house remodeling and lots of times people give him “stuff” just to get rid of it. Bruce had to drain the gas, change the fuel lines and some other minor things for $35 and it starts on the first pull....
                        Today, 09:20 AM
                      • will8989
                        by will8989
                        This is his $40 haul. The paint bush was never used. He cleaned up the grinder. He added up all the attachments and brand new everything would be almost $800. This was their yearly tool swap. Every month members bring things they don’t need and swap smaller items. Even scrap wood. Anything 5”x5”...
                        Today, 09:06 AM
                      • Rolf
                        by Rolf
                        That is what our woodworking group does for the members if sadly needed....
                        Today, 08:49 AM
                      • Rolf
                        Reply to Hi All
                        by Rolf
                        Where are you located in England? I was at RAF Lakenheath back in the early 70's and bought my 70 TVR Vixen, which I still have. I absolutely loved my time there.!...
                        Today, 08:46 AM
                      • Kingpin
                        Reply to Hi All
                        by Kingpin
                        all for the warm welcome 😎
                        Today, 07:03 AM
                      Working...
                      X