The St-Nicolas sheriff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The St-Nicolas sheriff

My first intarsia which is 2 ½ years old, and just before my Heron , took on Pinterest, that I found so funny!
    He is 9” X 6” X 1/2”, and the woods used are cherry, elm, ebony, and sapelli on the 25 parts.
    Finish with oil tried & true

PICT5942___Copie__1547238117_45617.jpg
    I like it very much and still laugh looking at him! But What would you suggest to give him a better 3D look ?
    I was thinking rounded some parts ,as the hat !

planeur

You have a real gift. .
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Hat, ears, and the mustache are some areas you might look at. A mustache that big would surely be bushy. Ears could maybe come forward some.
      Nice work. Thanks for sharing with us.
      "Time to Give Back"

Comment

Thanks gang !

And Wayne thanks for you advise which is quite good. After a good look at my men , as you said, with the hat I will work on the ears and his big mustache . I will try to rounded those parts as I did with my heron.
        But in person he is more 3D than on the photo.
        Will show you once finish.
        Speaking of mustache , we have both the same....

planeur

Comment

Judy Gale Roberts sells something called a wonder wheel that is great for texturing areas. They come in two sizes.

Wonder Wheel - intarsia.com

Mini Wheel $11.00 • Mandrel $6.50 - intarsia.com

You can also use power carving burrs and chisels.

For the record I have no connection to Judy other than being a happy student of hers.
          Scott
          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Hi Planeur - this sure is an amusing character and I fully understand why you like it. Also, since it is your first intarsia piece you should definitely keep it and sign and date the reverse. It will serve as a great benchmark for your future projects to see how you progress.

Some tips which were passed on to me when I first started intarsia and segmentation work.

Try to put some height into parts of your projects either by using different thicknesses of wood or by lifting some pieces by placing shims underneath them. For example bring forward the hat rim, nose and moustache and set back the ears and maybe curve them a little at the outside edges so that the look a little more comical

Once you create different heights don't be afraid to round over and shape the edges of higher pieces as they meet up to lower pieces as this will create a greater illusion of a 3D effect.

To get a better idea of how to shape items take a look around you at low relief toys, plaques and museum sculptures to see how a 3 D effect is created from essentially low thickness articles. I particularly found this tip to be a big help. The internet is a great resource for searching out images and ideas.

I also occasionally find that rough modeling a piece out of plasticine or modelling clay to see how it looks when matched into a project I am building is a quick way to get an idea of how to shape a piece before committing to making it in wood. For example you could do this with the ears.

When posting images on the forum don't just photograph them face on. Add a few low angle oblique shots so forum members can see exactly how you have shaped your pieces. This will not only help others on how to advise you but will also help other newcomers to intarsia and segmentation to develop their own techniques.

Don't be shy in asking for help from other members. You will always get a positive response.

Most important. Have fun and keep posting your work!!!

Jim
            Last edited by jim_mex; 02-28-2021, 08:42 AM.
            Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
            - Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks Scott and Jim for your suggestions, very interesting ! I know Judy Gale Roberts and read some of his articles and advices !
              Jim I cannot change the aspect of my sheriff because he is is already glue to a back, but as you will see I rounded couple of parts ( suggestion of Wayne ) which give him a better 3D look!
              But I did those 3D effects on my Blue Heron by , as you suggest, adding somes shims , and with a good result!
              You will see the "new " sheriff soon....

planeur

Comment

Voilà, after some rounded sanding :

IMG_1721 - Copie.JPG IMG_1719 - Copie.JPG
                and was like that before

PICT5942___Copie__1547238117_45617.jpg
                I think it is better, but his "son" will be more real !

planeur

Comment

Hi planeur - thanks for the reply.

Just to be clear. I wasn't suggesting that you change your original sheriff, rather that you apply some of the ideas for future projects. Nevertheless you can see the difference in the modified version

I can definitely see in your Heron that you did modify your shaping techniques and the end result was definitely more pleasing and very professional looking..

As craftpeople we always tend to be our own critics and constantly seek to improve how we work and learning from others plays a big part in this. So too does improvisation. Don't be afraid of trying something different to get the end result you are looking for and experiment and very soon you will be giving advice to other newcomers to this craft.

I look forward to seeing the son of the sheriff!

Bonne chance!
                  Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                  - Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks a lot Jim for your support and advises.
                    as I said I like more and more that scrollsaw hobbies.
                    I will show you a another one soon, a creation, my first one!

planeur

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
                      Reply to Wood identification needed
                      by Rolf
                      This site should be on every woodworkers computer. https://www.wood-database.com/ As has been said the first image is Wenge....
                      Today, 07:38 AM
                    • handibunny
                      Reply to I decided I needed a challenge
                      by handibunny
                      I couldn't resist (too long since any new toys) and ordered a blacklight flashlight from Amazon--same price as Harbor Freight. Should be here Tuesday--can't wait to see all the glue spots I've missed.
                      Today, 07:01 AM
                    • handibunny
                      by handibunny
                      If you google "Moradillo" you'll get more information than you'll ever need. It looks like it will work up beautifully.
                      Today, 06:59 AM
                    • dgman
                      by dgman
                      The first picture is Wenge, pronounced WHEN-ghay or WHEN-Gii. It is a very hard wood. It’s splintery and very hard to cut. When finished, it is almost black. I use it when I need a black wood for Intarsia. I do not know anything about the other wood.
                      Yesterday, 10:40 PM
                    • vgraf
                      Wood identification needed
                      by vgraf
                      I have a new neighbor who did a lot of woodworking in the past but had to give it up because of allergies. He sold his shop equipment and wood stockpile when he moved here, however he kept a few pieces of fancy wood and showed them to me. The first one (First Photo) he had no idea what it was. It is...
                      Yesterday, 09:31 PM
                    Working...
                    X