Some sailing ships for my bathroom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some sailing ships for my bathroom

Ones of the things.I start noticing with this lockdown is that some rooms in my house have all the wall decorations, pictures, ornaments they can handle while.others barely have anything on their wall. Our guest bathroom is one of those barren surfaces and so I dived into my hobby room library and came up.with a series of segmentation sailing ships.

I ended up selecting four round plaques I copied onto a sheet of 6 inch wide pinewood. Yesterday evening I finished the first boat.
    image_75713.jpg I'll probably have the other three by next weekend. Until then, here are some pictures allready.
    Last edited by Ennobee; 09-08-2020, 09:39 PM.

Ps, the designs as copied onto the wood. I use 1/2 in. poplar with a #5 universal blade. On this one, the rim and the boat hull and masts are cut out at a slight bevel to make them come out, but my last boat will just have the rim cut at bevel and use that 'tension' to squeeze the inner parts together as I cut and sand them and glue them at different heights.to give the overall plaque some volume.
    Attached Files

Comment

Those are interesting! I particularly like where the wood grain runs across...with the horizon.
      Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Oops, never thought of using the grain to show horizon lines. To be true to I just wanted the pattern on the wood. I will remember that for the next time though thanks

Comment

Update: at he end of the long weekend, I got three of the four plaques finished and the fourth one half done editor_20200908_202600.jpgeditor_20200908_202436.jpg I also got better at figuring out how to best cut the pieces and how to best glue them. Right now, I am using a #5 scroll blade at an angle to cut out the huls and masts an then a fine #2 blade straight down to cut.up the hull and sails, sand the pieces and then glue them together again.
          editor_20200908_205052.jpgStill have a lot to learn though..

God thing because I have about an other dozen plans on my computer waiting to be tried out
          Last edited by Ennobee; 09-08-2020, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Linda In Phoenix View Post
            Those are interesting! I particularly like where the wood grain runs across...with the horizon.
            That is one of the reason I do not not like to use painters tape. I trim most of the excess paper outside of the pattern so I can get the correct grain orientation.
            Scott
            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Originally posted by Ennobee View Post
              Update: at he end of the long weekend, I got three of the four plaques finished and the fourth one half done editor_20200908_202600.jpgeditor_20200908_202436.jpg I also got better at figuring out how to best cut the pieces and how to best glue them. Right now, I am using a #5 scroll blade at an angle to cut out the huls and masts an then a fine #2 blade straight down to cut.up the hull and sails, sand the pieces and then glue them together again.
              editor_20200908_205052.jpgStill have a lot to learn though..

God thing because I have about an other dozen plans on my computer waiting to be tried out
              These are coming out great.
              Scott
              Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Quartz43
                Reply to Scroll Saw Shells
                by Quartz43
                I would not use regular plywood but Baltic Birch is different. On Steve Garrisons Facebook page someone posted a shell with either Baltic Birch or something like Spectraply. I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of tearing or splintering with either cutting or sanding.

Using solid...
                Today, 09:09 AM
              • will8989
                Reply to countdown for Bruce.
                by will8989
                Bruce took the “zipper”ff today. Yep, the stitches were zipper type. When we were packing up at the market Sunday, the coffee vendor asked if we wanted a taste of his chocolate whiskey coffee. We said no thanks. After driving to Annapolis in the truck today to get Elliott, Bruce said he was going...
                Yesterday, 10:12 PM
              • will8989
                Reply to Scroll Saw Shells
                by will8989
                I usually don’t use plywood, but I think it works beautifully with these patterns. On my to do list in January.
                Yesterday, 10:02 PM
              • will8989
                Reply to Back in the saddle again
                by will8989
                I enlarge and shrink patterns all time. I use rapid resizer. I did locate some scrap wood that would be perfect for the smaller size. I also mad some of the nativity Steve had a week ago. I’m taking stuff to the market for feedback. Of the 11 ornaments I took last week I came home with 3. Guess you...
                Yesterday, 09:59 PM
              • will8989
                Reply to Starting again
                by will8989
                And to do something different. I’m trying to schedule part or a whole day to bowl grinding. Of course, we had a 7 year old visitor most of the day as he had a half day today. So much for using the grinder. instead I put a bandaid on a scratch on his elbow so he “wouldn’t bleed to death”. Than...
                Yesterday, 09:55 PM
              Working...
              X