Wood color change!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood color change!

I used some Lignum Vitae on my current project and after sanding it goes a light brown.
    Here is what happens after a few hours of sunshine. The light piece is the back side of one of the pieces Color change (Large).jpg
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

That color change is spectacular! I've never worked with the stuff, and your comment made me google it. You get into some interesting stuff, and this is no different....here is what one reference said....
    "Lignum Vitae, Latin for "Tree of Life," is the national tree of the Bahamas. It's also the world's densest wood, and has such unusual properties that the USS Nautilus, the world's first nuclear-powered submarine, has its aft main shaft strut bearings made out of the stuff.
    Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Wow! That's pretty dramatic.

How hard was the Lignum Vitae to cut and shape?
      Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

It is very hard and a dense heavy wood, I think it is #2 on Janka wood hardness scale. It is very easy to cut. Unlike Padauk and Bloodwood.
        It is now on the protected list , Vera wood is an Argentine wood in the same family.
        Rolf

Comment

Now that is interesting. I love cutting Padauk. It's a predictable one for me, and it never gives me grief. Bloodwood---yah--harder and touchier.
          Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Theres a technique for popping your normal plain wood in a hot oven and turning them much darker if you were to need that tone for a project. Purpleheart will go bright purple to a purplish black on heating.
            https://www.etsy.com/shop/BeasleyTurnings
            Stabilized blanks and more

Comment

I didn’t know that about purpleheart. Will have to try it.
              Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Rolf, where do you get the green wood?
                Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I started using redheart as an alternative to bloodwood when most of the bloodwood I could find looked more like padauk. Unfortunately, Grof & Grof is the only source I've found for it, and I'm not planning on being in that area any time soon.

I think there is no dust more problematic than padauk. If you do a glue-up or lamination and it's next to a light-colored wood, you have to be extremely vigilant about both the dust and the bleeding during finishing. I never use a porous wood like aspen next to padauk, only something hard like maple because of the dust migration. It also turns brownish eventually, so you have to watch what you pair it with. But I do love the color!
                  Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Amazing how radical and rapid the change. Thanks for sharing.
                    Scott
                    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I think I bought that board at the last open FC open house. It was resting against the wall when it caught my eye, I immediately scarfed it up.
                      Rolf

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X