chickadee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chickadee

Here is something I made and they are selling like hotcakes.
    Had some 1/4 in stock in various woods. Hot melt glued up a block of walnut, maple, oak, and cherry. Put the chickadee pattern on it and cut out the pieces.
    Had the makens of 4 birds, mixed up all the pieces and then glued them together. Cut them with a #3 FD solar blade.
    Then sanded on belt sander, put in a hole, hit the flap sander dipped in oil and then put in some fish line to hang with.
    Whole process took just over an hour of my time. Not bad for a 1 eyed retiree.
    Took 2 batched to s show and they sold quickly! I was asking $8 a piece, think I will raise the price.

I did something similar a few years, back--but can't remember the project now! Old age is getting to me more every day.
    Jim
    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
    Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Those are super beautiful.
      Denny
      ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

$8 a piece for such wonderful work is a crime. $10, $12 or even $15 is a better price. When I stack cut I try to judge the price by how long it takes to make one.
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I really like your little birds. It is a great idea to stack cut them and end up with multiple birds. I agree with Scott, I would sell them for $15 especially since you are cutting them from hard woods.

I was also making chickadee's this weekend for my new project. Mine are a lot smaller. If you want a little different design to add to your collection, I can share my pattern. I will even try to re-size them to match to pattern that you currently have. I did paint mine to match to my project, but they could easily be cut from different woods that you used for your birds.

Here is my finished little birds:
          Attached Files
          www.wix.com/tangowooddesign/home-page

Comment

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Comment

My favorite little bird. I like the stack cut idea.
              Rolf
              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Those are beautiful and count me in the raise your price group.
                Melanie from East TN

Comment

Originally posted by GladeFade View Post
                  Here is something I made and they are selling like hotcakes.
                  Had some 1/4 in stock in various woods. Hot melt glued up a block of walnut, maple, oak, and cherry. Put the chickadee pattern on it and cut out the pieces.
                  Had the makens of 4 birds, mixed up all the pieces and then glued them together. Cut them with a #3 FD solar blade.
                  Then sanded on belt sander, put in a hole, hit the flap sander dipped in oil and then put in some fish line to hang with.
                  Whole process took just over an hour of my time. Not bad for a 1 eyed retiree.
                  Took 2 batched to s show and they sold quickly! I was asking $8 a piece, think I will raise the price.
                  So who is the designer?
                  Scott
                  Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Adorable and a great use of smaller drop pieces. $15 sounds good
                    Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Scott asked -------So who is the designer?
                      It was in a Wood magazine Issue 101 Dec 97 pg 92.
                      Intarsia by Judy Gale Roberts.
                      Who else :-)

Comment

Thanks for sharing, since it was a JGR pattern, but knowing some might not be able to find that old of an issue, but might want a chickadee, I checked her website and she has one for sale there. Not sure if it is same or little different from the magazine. It can be found here: https://intarsia.com/products/i-335-...f72a569f&_ss=r

she notes there that it is also In her “Small Intarsia Projects” Book (with some modifications) for anyone who may have that book.
                        Melanie from East TN

Comment

Melanie I have made the one pictured in the link provided but a did my Chickadee a bit different.
                          Rolf
                          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X