Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linda In Phoenix
    replied
    Absolutely beautiful. You've a feather in your cap!

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    Thanks for the complement, coming from you it means a lot considering the awesome work that you have done.
    Sorry Trout, I created this pattern from a 1922 painting by my wife's Great Uncle. So this one is a family thing. Her cousin that found the painting has not seen this yet. I just finished gluing all of the pieces onto a backer. I will describe what I did in a different post.

Leave a comment:

• Trout
    replied
    Wow Rolf, I love this one..where can we find this pattern?

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    Getting close lots of little details, then I will assemble it, trim and square up the sides, then place it on different backers which can make or take away from the piece. and frame it.
    Real close 1-30 (Large).jpg The smoke still needs a bit of work.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Jim McDonald
    replied
    Turning 2D paint into 3D wood is an art form and it looks like you are well on your way to getting this one just right!

Leave a comment:

• Linda In Phoenix
    replied
    I haven't seen blue pine turn yet reddish at all. I've had some of mine for at least 5 years. It's hard to find here. Now I'll be watching color variations closely though. Fungus?

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    The Boat is all blue pine. I will look through my stock. Have you had your blue pine turn a reddish tinge over time? I have a couple of projects turn on me. The original photo was 2009, the finish was Bartleys Gel varnish. the reddish one was taken today. It was in a family room with lots of light 1126.jpegDSC_3537 cropped.jpg but no direct sunlight.
    Last edited by Rolf; 01-30-2020, 10:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Linda In Phoenix
    replied
    Blue pine or another wood that could give you the look of wispy gray clouds would look great.

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    Thanks Linda, I would love to but I am not sure how I will approach that yet. Any suggestions? clouds are easy but the blues...... I like the colors but don't want to paint.

Leave a comment:

• Linda In Phoenix
    replied
    I'm a pureist---go intarsia for the background too. But I absolutely love what you have so far.

Leave a comment:

• Tango
    replied
    Hey Rolf your project is awesome!!!! Great Job!!!!

I do like the clouds and water back ground on the right side. They make you piece of art look just like the original. The back ground behind the trees (on the left) doesn't look like the original painting. In the original, it clearly looks like bushes in the back ground. On your project, it sort of looks like storm clouds. This could be due to the lighting when the picture was taken.

Please keep providing us with updated photos. I really want to see the finished project.
    Donna

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    I have been spending a bit more time on this project. It is a bit challenging with all of the pieces as they move every time I get near it. The only redeeming factor is the fact that is an old boat the is falling apart so a small gap here and there will be a non issue or a part of the design.
    A couple of pictures one with me having a death grip on the smallest piece at my Mac mop. The tree will get more detail and then a few hours in the sun, if we ever get any, to turn the lignum vitae green again. I still have to make some smoke for the chimney. Perspective is a challenge on this piece. I had an issue when I created the pattern that when I enlarged it to my desired size the reference photo would not scale to the same size. I contacted Pattern Wizard and was sent a solution within a few hours. Very pleased with the support that I have received from them. This is with a photo of the painting as a backer. Opinions? Tango what do you think? I am not sure if I like it or not.
    image_74959.jpg Tugboat with Photo backer (Large).jpg

Last edited by Rolf; 01-28-2020, 05:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• theframer
    replied
    WOW !
    Looking GOOD

There at Rolf's shop, "Progress Is Our Most Important Product"

For those of you who don't recognize the quote, you're way to young to be on this site with us old bags.

Leave a comment:

• NC Scroller
    replied
    Coming along great. Remember we are often our own worst critics.

Leave a comment:

• handibunny
    replied
    Looks like it will be absolutely stunning when it's finished. You do have an artist's eye.

And you're right about the photography--it shows what IS, not what we wish were there. That's why Photoshop is such a valuable tool for photos going to print!

However, knowing you, you can't help but make it right! Looking forward to seeing the next step.

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Hobbyhorse
    Reply to Wallplanter revisited
    by Hobbyhorse
    The planter really does look great Jim. As for the tomato plants, a late night expedition with a jug of boiling water will leave no trace in the morning .... not that I would do such a thing.
    Today, 03:38 PM
  • jim_mex
    Wallplanter revisited
    by jim_mex
    Hi Folks - with lots of posts around regarding the COVID-19 situation I thought I'd post a non pandemic topic to hopefully brighten up the day a little.

Back in January I posted a whimsical gardening post showing a wall planter I knocked up out of PVC plumbing fittings. This morning...
    Today, 02:46 PM
  • Ennobee
    Reply to 9- piece airplane
    by Ennobee
    In the meantime here bare some glamour shots of the finished plane, glued, sanded and waxed:...
    Today, 02:43 PM
  • Ennobee
    Reply to 9- piece airplane
    by Ennobee
    This evening when I get the computer back. It's currently claimed by my wife's company for work-from-home purposes.

It will be only a one-page Gif image though.
    Today, 02:34 PM
  • BadBob
    Wood Toy Pickup
    by BadBob
    The latest in a long line of these little trucks....
    Today, 01:40 PM
Working...
X