No announcement yet.

New project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been spending a bit more time on this project. It is a bit challenging with all of the pieces as they move every time I get near it. The only redeeming factor is the fact that is an old boat the is falling apart so a small gap here and there will be a non issue or a part of the design.
    A couple of pictures one with me having a death grip on the smallest piece at my Mac mop. The tree will get more detail and then a few hours in the sun, if we ever get any, to turn the lignum vitae green again. I still have to make some smoke for the chimney. Perspective is a challenge on this piece. I had an issue when I created the pattern that when I enlarged it to my desired size the reference photo would not scale to the same size. I contacted Pattern Wizard and was sent a solution within a few hours. Very pleased with the support that I have received from them. This is with a photo of the painting as a backer. Opinions? Tango what do you think? I am not sure if I like it or not.
    image_74959.jpg Tugboat with Photo backer (Large).jpg

Last edited by Rolf; 01-28-2020, 05:11 PM.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Hey Rolf your project is awesome!!!! Great Job!!!!

I do like the clouds and water back ground on the right side. They make you piece of art look just like the original. The back ground behind the trees (on the left) doesn't look like the original painting. In the original, it clearly looks like bushes in the back ground. On your project, it sort of looks like storm clouds. This could be due to the lighting when the picture was taken.

Please keep providing us with updated photos. I really want to see the finished project.
      Donna
      www.wix.com/tangowooddesign/home-page

Comment

I'm a pureist---go intarsia for the background too. But I absolutely love what you have so far.
        Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Thanks Linda, I would love to but I am not sure how I will approach that yet. Any suggestions? clouds are easy but the blues...... I like the colors but don't want to paint.
          Rolf

Comment

Blue pine or another wood that could give you the look of wispy gray clouds would look great.

Comment

The Boat is all blue pine. I will look through my stock. Have you had your blue pine turn a reddish tinge over time? I have a couple of projects turn on me. The original photo was 2009, the finish was Bartleys Gel varnish. the reddish one was taken today. It was in a family room with lots of light 1126.jpegDSC_3537 cropped.jpg but no direct sunlight.
              Last edited by Rolf; 01-30-2020, 10:25 AM.
              Rolf

Comment

I haven't seen blue pine turn yet reddish at all. I've had some of mine for at least 5 years. It's hard to find here. Now I'll be watching color variations closely though. Fungus?

Comment

Turning 2D paint into 3D wood is an art form and it looks like you are well on your way to getting this one just right!
                  Jim
                  When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
                  Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Getting close lots of little details, then I will assemble it, trim and square up the sides, then place it on different backers which can make or take away from the piece. and frame it.
                    Real close 1-30 (Large).jpg The smoke still needs a bit of work.
                    Attached Files
                    Rolf

Comment

Wow Rolf, I love this one..where can we find this pattern?
                      Hawk G-4 Jetcraft
                      Fish are food, not friends!

Comment

Thanks for the complement, coming from you it means a lot considering the awesome work that you have done.
                        Sorry Trout, I created this pattern from a 1922 painting by my wife's Great Uncle. So this one is a family thing. Her cousin that found the painting has not seen this yet. I just finished gluing all of the pieces onto a backer. I will describe what I did in a different post.
                        Rolf

Comment

Absolutely beautiful. You've a feather in your cap!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Hobbyhorse
                            Reply to Wallplanter revisited
                            by Hobbyhorse
                            The planter really does look great Jim. As for the tomato plants, a late night expedition with a jug of boiling water will leave no trace in the morning .... not that I would do such a thing.
                            Today, 03:38 PM
                          • jim_mex
                            Wallplanter revisited
                            by jim_mex
                            Hi Folks - with lots of posts around regarding the COVID-19 situation I thought I'd post a non pandemic topic to hopefully brighten up the day a little.

Back in January I posted a whimsical gardening post showing a wall planter I knocked up out of PVC plumbing fittings. This morning...
                            Today, 02:46 PM
                          • Ennobee
                            Reply to 9- piece airplane
                            by Ennobee
                            In the meantime here bare some glamour shots of the finished plane, glued, sanded and waxed:...
                            Today, 02:43 PM
                          • Ennobee
                            Reply to 9- piece airplane
                            by Ennobee
                            This evening when I get the computer back. It's currently claimed by my wife's company for work-from-home purposes.

It will be only a one-page Gif image though.
                            Today, 02:34 PM
                          • BadBob
                            Wood Toy Pickup
                            by BadBob
                            The latest in a long line of these little trucks....
                            Today, 01:40 PM
                          Working...
                          X