Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shaped Segmentation as an alternative to true intarsia.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Rolf for the updated information. Very kind of you to reach out and go the extra mile to get us info. So, being the engineer that you are, based on the info. he provided, and yours and your use, what do you think about the $50 upgrade to the F5+ - would you want that upgrade for that price? Also, I assume you guys would still say tanked over the Tankless, yes? There is the same air compressor brand, with a 2 gallon tank available at other sources for better pricing can your compressor be “too big”?

Like Jo, it’s good to cool my heels a bit and settle down the “want”. 😉☺️ I did get some books on power carving though. 😏🤭 now, can I wait and ask for it for Christmas.🎁🥴
    Melanie from East TN

Comment

Jo and Melanie, First I would like to say that I hope someday to meet you both. Actually that goes for all of the nice folks on this forum.! Fox Chapel needs to do another event.

I personally would go with a tank version, regarding the + model I am not sure without trying them side by side.
      The +version uses a greater flow rate, how significant that is regarding compressor cycling I don't know. I can't remember my physics stuff to calculate pressure vs volume and flow rate.
      What I will do later is time my system. from a full tank to see how long it takes to cycle the compressor at full flow.
      The pressure never drops below what the tool needs, so you can just keep on working.

It is a detailing tool and not meant for hogging out large volumes wood. If you haven't already I would just look at a bunch of videos demonstrating the tool.
      Rolf
      RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Rolf, I had thought about getting a high speed rotary tool to learn pierced carving. It was one of those things that was on my 'someday' list and I had not started researching it yet. Lo and behold, you mentioned the F5 in this thread and this tool quickly moved up on the list. I have become kind of a tool junkie over the last few years. I often use this forum to learn about tools to buy. I imagine my first Winter in retirement I will have lots of time to play with new tools.
        Jo Labre - in beautiful Racine, Wisconsin

Mostly, I don't know what I am doing - but I am doing it with GUSTO!

Comment

Jo this statement makes me smile" I imagine my first Winter in retirement I will have lots of time to play with new tools."
          You will be surprised of how all of this free retirement time disappears. In December it will be 4 years for me and I have barely nibbled at my wana do list.

I just played with my compressor from empty to 90 PSI takes a mere 20 seconds. The owner of Sculpting studio adjusts the compressor controls so that it cycles between 40 at the low end and 90 at the high. That keeps the pressure in the optimum range for the carver.
          When using the tool with a full tank at full speed it runs for 15 seconds before the compressor kicks in and runs for 5 seconds for full pressure.
          And amazingly quiet.
          Rolf

Comment

The high speed turbine carvers are something I have lusted over but know I will never get. The hand piece is $1100 New Zealand dollars, which is not so different to your prices. There is a guy in our woodturners club who turns bowls to 2mm thick and then does piercing cuts into them with a turbine carver. They are very fragile, and he gets huge money for each one.
            http://www.gordonpembridge.com/Gallery/Wood%20Art

The link above will take you his site and a page of carved bowls.

As usual Rolf your work is wonderful ... you do set the standard.

Comment

I followed the link - that is some stunning workmanship! I have seen pierced bowls before, but nothing as amazing as those.

Comment

Thanks Rolf for the information and testing. I too wish Fox Chapel would do another event so I could try and come and meet some people. If you (or anyone) ever head down to Judy Gail Roberts Studio or just to the Smokey Mountains in East TN area - let me know and I would be happy to come and meet up somewhere. I have managed to stay away from this and that site for a couple of days now. (May have to do with it being the weekend and my hubby being home and us doing things. - He goes back to work tomorrow though. )
                Melanie from East TN

Comment

Just an FYI, they are listed back in stock now. 😉🙃

https://sculptingstudio.com/vortex-f5-turnkey.html
                  Melanie from East TN

Comment

Melanie - Uh oh.

Comment

Originally posted by Jo Labre View Post
                      Melanie - Uh oh.
                      Yep 😉🥴 👀🙉🙈🙊
                      Melanie from East TN

Comment

I glue the Gnome (pictured at the beginning of this post) to a thin plywood backer that I leave a bit over sized for trimming later. I used to set my saw at an angle and very carefully cut around the perimeter. There are spots that are very hard to see especially in the corners.
                        Well I now use my Vortex with a carbide cutter under a magnifier and just trim off the excess in a fraction of the time. I then kiss the edges with a mac mop to remove any small fuzzies.
                        Did I mention I love this tool!
                        Rolf

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...