Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shaped Segmentation as an alternative to true intarsia.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaped Segmentation as an alternative to true intarsia.

Gnome with tree (Small).jpg I want to be clear right up front, my first love is Intarsia. A big reason for that is selecting the woods, grain direction etc. The other thing is you really need to be very precise when cutting you pieces.
    That said, I am not a purist and love playing with bright colors and alternative materials. The article on Anatoly really made my juices flow.

The article in the latest issue of SSWWC showcasing Anatoly Obelets work is really very interesting. I have been amazed by his talents since the first time i saw a post from him. His cutting technique using a hot wire is impressive and I am sure not all that easy. It is also a great example of what can be done with segmentation as an alternative to Intarsia for those that do not have the resources or access to the exotic woods we love o use for Intarsia.
    Some pluses Cutting a project in the segmentation style: 1, guarantees that all of your pieces will fit back together. 2, great and inexpensive way to learn shaping. 3, you can play with any color that you want without the limitations exotic wood colors availability.

I am making several of Gnomes, designed by Bruce Worthington, for my Christmas sales. It is an intarsia pattern and could easily be made using Read heart, holly , aspen and green poplar or lignum vitae for the tree. I would have to charge a significant price and most people would have no clue as to the difficult and time in cutting and shaping this.

So segmentation it is. It takes me about 2 hours to cut, shape, detail, stain/ dye/ paint, glue Gnome shaped no details (Small).jpgGnome cut pieces (Small).jpgGnome with details and color (Small).jpg together and put on a 1/32 ply backer.
    Any opinions on price?
    Attached Files
    Rolf
    RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

very nice, how did you do the beard and tree veins, using the wonder wheel or did you crave with a v tool knife, RJ
    Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

Price? Probably more than what most folks would be willing to pay for a seasonal ornament. Can you add implied value to it by signing the back, dating it, and doing it in a limited edition? Sometimes seeing 3/10 on an item says it is not mass produced and more special.
      Artists can get a lot of extra money for prints by doing such things.

You are right that intarsia is great but segmentation does have the advantages that you listed. When I see some of the intarsia projects in the magazine or online, I wonder how many thousands of pieces of wood the artist has in stock or access to, to be able to get just the right coloring and grain pattern.

The magazine article was great and I hope we get to see more high end segmentation. The creativity of his work gets you thinking and shows what you can do to your work to elevate it.

"Time to give back."
      "Time to Give Back"

Comment

Beautiful. Things like this separate the cutter from the artist. Be creative and just because the designer did it one way you don't have to do it exactly the same. Like Wayne I would like to know what you charge.
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Wayne, there are three different designs in this set from Bruce. I am making 8 of the this one and I do sign and number them. I sign all of my work. I do not use knives or veining tools on these because of the wood I am using does not carve well. I am using a multitude of power carving tools. I do use a wonder wheel but for the most part for the smaller details I use a Vortex F5 high speed power carver (400000 RPM a Christmas present)
          I also have a Ram power that spins up to 45000 rpm, I use that with a small sanding drum for inside radius areas.
          I am thinking $30 for them. They are only 4" tall. Not much of a return compared to my ornaments that I cut 6 at a time(1 hour) and sell for $12.
          But they are lots of fun to make.

A warning! If you ever have the chance for trying a high speed pneumatic carving tool DON'T TOUCH IT. You will want one. I demonstrated mine at our scroll saw club meeting. And 5 of our hard core carvers ordered one. It is like writing with a pen.
          I tried one at a North east woodworking show many years ago thinking it was a toy. It was stuck in my head from that point forward.

What was weird was that I had found a whole bunch of bits for this tool at a yard sale for $5 six months earlier, it was an estate sale and the guy had no idea what they were. I put them down a couple of times but for $5 I had to take them. Diamond burrs and carbide cutters of all shapes.
          Ram Power carver (Small).jpg20181225_103845 (Small).jpg
          Attached Files
          Rolf

Comment

I like that look Rolf and the fact that you can more easily produce them for sale purposes. I have looked at those power carvers but I guess luckily have not picked one up and given it a try yet. i am sure they are not as easy to operate as you make it sound though! I need to get those patterns from Bruce and give some a try. Thanks for showing yours.
            Melanie from East TN

Comment

Rolf, thx for the explanation of your power carver, do you have the link for Bruce’s pattern, thx RJ
              Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

$30.00? Are you nuts - she says sweetly. Segmented, carved and stained/painted. $50-$60.
                Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by RJweb View Post
                  Rolf, thx for the explanation of your power carver, do you have the link for Bruce’s pattern, thx RJ
                  RJ - not Rolf, but I knew how to find a Bruce Worthington’s website so wanted to give you the link to the pattern. There is actually a set of 3 patterns in the set for only $8. Quite a steal. I need to get my set ordered too. While there, check out some of his other ornament patterns, I know a few have been in the magazine previously.

http://intarsia.hostcentric.com/home.../newpage16.htm
                  Melanie from East TN

Comment

Melanie. if you have used a Dremel or any other hand piece that runs at ~5-35K rpm or even my Ram power at 45K rpm you know that they like to grab and can get away from you, especially if you are doing piercing cuts. When you use a tool like the Vortex than can run up to 500,000 rpm it does not grab. At 1/16 dia these bits will remove an amazing amount of material quickly. Watch some of the videos at your own risk.

Betty $50-$60 really. I will give it a run,
                    Rolf

Comment

Looked at the videos and want a vortex F5. Looked at the prices and will have to give it some consideration.

"Time to give back."
                      "Time to Give Back"

Comment

Rolf, what do you use to power the F5? Is it loud?
                        Jo Labre - in beautiful Racine, Wisconsin

Mostly, I don't know what I am doing - but I am doing it with GUSTO!

Comment

When my wife ordered it she wasn't sure of what she was ordering and was very surprised when this big heavy box showed up. She never opened it so was not sure what was in it.
                          At Christmas I was expecting a small box and was a bit disappointed thinking that she didn't take my hint for the Vortex. When I opened the box with the compressor I found the Vortex inside. I already had 2 compressors one bigger one in the garage, a smaller twin tank for nail guns etc. in the basement, both are very noisy.
                          After connecting everything I was very happy that she bought the complete kit. I will also use this compressor for my airbrush.
                          Jo the Kit price includes a California air compressor that they adjust for a better duty cycle for this tool. It is amazingly quiet!. The Vortex itself is like a dentists drill.
                          https://sculptingstudio.com/vortex-f5-turnkey.html
                          Rolf

Comment

Rolf, I don't know if I should thank you for sharing this information or call you a very evil man.
                            Jo Labre - in beautiful Racine, Wisconsin

Mostly, I don't know what I am doing - but I am doing it with GUSTO!

Comment

Rolf, thanks (or not) 😉☺️ For sharing. They show two turnkey units at that site. The one you posted, them this one for a $100 less.
                              https://sculptingstudio.com/turnkey-...omperssor.html

The only difference I see seems to be that the one which is a $100 less says it has a “new Tankless” air compressor. Now, since I am not mechanical in nature, could you possibly explain why one would be better then the other. In my simplistic mind, i tend to think $100 less and a “NEW Tankless” might be better then the other (at least for the bank account 🤨🤪). Yet, you shared the other one which makes me think you (who would know the mechanics better then me) believes it would be the better setup. Could you give some insight please. (Take your time, my bank account and others it looks like are safer thst way. 😏☺️)
                              Melanie from East TN

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X