Some Koalas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Koalas

I was looking for some quick & easy and found an old pattern from JGR. It's a beginners pattern so I modified it a bit to get a little more realism into it. I used it for a WIP/Tutorial over on the village. Just to show the use of shaping, sanding shims, and the Wonder Wheel for fur texture.

The bears are mostly Western Cedar with some light poplar for the light woods. The tree is Black Walnut with Poplar leaves. The snouts are ebonized Black Walnut and the eyes are mahogany with the cats eye burned in with a wood burner. I, also use the burner to darken the claws at the end of the toes.
    Attached Files
    Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

I especially like the one on the right.
    ♥♥ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♥♥

Comment

Really nice! Find it hard to believe it was quick and easy.

"Thanks for sharing."
      "Time to Give Back"

Comment

How long is “quick”? Very nice. Looks like real fur on them.
        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

That is excellent! I did this a long time ago before I knew what a wonder wheel was. It makes a world of difference adding the details. I did it in blue pine which has developed a reddish tinge at my nephews house. No picture of that. DSC_3537 cropped.jpg
          Rolf
          RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

That piece is just stunning.
            Denny
            ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
              That is excellent! I did this a long time ago before I knew what a wonder wheel was. It makes a world of difference adding the details. I did it in blue pine which has developed a reddish tinge at my nephews house. No picture of that. DSC_3537 cropped.jpg
              When I started and saw how grey they really are, I thought of blue pine, but didn't have any, so went with the western cedar. I've got an order in for some blue pine and should get it any day now.

Also, in the photos I used, I saw that Koala's actually have a type of cat's eye. So, instead of the black walnut eyes, I went with Mahogany and burned the cat's iris into it.
              Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

Tony I just took another look at your Koala, I am really amazed with the fur detail. And thanks for pointing out the eyes.
                Your project is a perfect example of how a pattern is just a suggestion, what we do with it is all on us and our personal vision.
                Rolf
                RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Where do you get your blue pine? Need some but can’t find any locally.
                  Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by will8989 View Post
                    Where do you get your blue pine? Need some but can’t find any locally.
                    Here's where I get mine -- http://thehandsomewoodman.com/

I think Scott was saying that he could find it in one of the big box stores in NC, but I haven't found it around here. The other wood I'm always looking for is Aspen, good white Aspen. I did find a place with reasonable prices for Holly, but if you know of any Aspen dealers around - let me know.
                    Tony

Comment

I'll keep an eye out. Did you check Exotic Lumber in Annapolis, MD. Prices like their name are exotic but they have good wood. I think you stopped by them when you were at the wood show in January.
                      Betty

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X