Intarsia lessons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intarsia lessons

Looking for Intarsia lessons. Located in Southern Maryland, about 12 miles south of DC. Thanks for your help

Best place to look is intarsia.com. Go see Judy Gale Roberts. Unfortunately, she is located in Tennessee.

But you can not go wrong with her training. She will work you from 9 - 5 for three days and you will come away with almost finished pieces. Her classes are always full and she is the Queen of the Walk when it comes to intarsia.

Her class costs are very reasonable. But then you'll have travel time & expense and a hotel bill. I live about a 100 miles northwest of you and I've been to five of her classes.
    Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

I have meet JGR and Kathy Wise and attended lectures. I prefer Kathy Wise. Her book "Intarsia Woodworking for Beginners" is an excellent book with examples and instructions. It leads through several beginner projects and is where I started. Kathy Wise also has classes available.

Comment

I took an intermediate class with Judy and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have also had the pleasure of meeting Kathy. A close friend has taken a class with both of them, both are excellent. If you were on the west coast I would suggest Janette Square.

Rolf
        RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I have taken 2 of Judy's classes. She is a great instructor. It is a good 6 hour drive for me. Judy does have patterns she calls "classroom in a tube". Very detailed instructions. Try one of those. Here is one I recommend:
          https://intarsia.com/collections/cla...-of-ctp-7-duck
          Scott
          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I basically live in Judy’s backyard. It’s about 35-40 minutes from my house. As a result, I have taken all 3 of her classes. This year, she is not doing any Advanced classes because she has so many trying to get into her beginner/intermediate ones. This is in part because she has been cutting back in general and has been talking about giving them up at some point. So, if you have ever wanted to take a class from her, I would do so sooner then later. She announces in the Fall her classes for the next year and they fill up fairly quickly so you have to be fast once they are announced. i have always enjoyed her classes and have created some nice pieces from her classes. I would not hesitate to recommend them, I have not had the pleasure of meeting or learning directly from Kathy Wise. I would like to one day. I figure you always learn something from each thst let’s you figure out how to do it your way. One way is not right or wrong, it’s just what you like or prefer. Similar to learning a software program, often we prefer the way or program we learned first.

Both Judy and Kathy have excellent books out for those who cannot afford the time or expense to travel and take classes in person, I have books from both and have learned with each of them. Kathy also has the “pattern of the month” club where she has a private Facebook group for questions and interactions with her and others doing thst pattern. Some seem to enjoy thst. I have not tried one yet. Judy’s classrooms in a tube are the full details and information with pictures on what she shows and does in her classes. A great option if you cannot do in person.

My dream would be to learn from Judy, Kathy, Jeanette, and Bruce as well as other Intarsia artists from the forums! Always something to learn from someone.

Have you tried some Intarsia before? What is it you want help with to learn? Perhaps some of us can answer some questions for you, give you information or help in someway. Let us know if we can,
            Melanie from East TN

Comment

I also suggest that the newbies do some segmentation first using cheap pine. It is a great way to get a feel for shaping without worrying about fit. The next step is still us cheap pine but cut the individual pieces following the the suggested grain direction. That will give areal good idea on what is involved with fitting and assembly. Then it is time to play with the different woods, some are hard some are soft. Or you can do the way I did and just jump right in.
              Rolf
              RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I am not claiming to be an expert but from my experience precision cutting is one of the keys to successful intarsia. Yes wood selection and shaping are important but not as important as having the pieces fit together properly.
                Scott
                Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X