Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swat Box

I made this as a special order:
    Cedar box measures 9"x 7" x 2.25". Inlay the name in the normal way but applied the logo on top of the box using a method I used to decorate boxes before I learned to do inlay.
    I printed this image onto tissue paper that I had attached to regular printer paper. Printed this on my inkjet printer. When the tissue, with the image on it, is laid on the box I wipe on thinned poly and most of the tissue paper "disappears" The tissue paper covers the whole lid, edge to edge.
    It is a fussy procedure and works better with smaller images. Easier to get wrinkles out of smaller pieces. Three coats of wipe on poly.
    Swat Box.jpg
    Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
    No PHD, but I have my GED and my DD 214"
    Website https://craftingcouple.com/

That is a beautiful box. Quite an interesting process with the tissue paper. Is the image ink side down?
    Denny
    ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Like Denny said, absolutely beautiful final product.
      Please do elaborate on your tissue paper process. I've never read about it. More details please! Inquiring minds want to know.
      Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Originally posted by Linda In Phoenix View Post
        Like Denny said, absolutely beautiful final product.
        Please do elaborate on your tissue paper process. I've never read about it. More details please! Inquiring minds want to know.
        I use tissue paper that is normally used for gift wrapping. I cut it to size, large enough to fold around the edges of a sheet of printer paper, about an inch and cellophane tape it in place. Then print this in an inkjet printer on highest quality. Then lay it on the wood and apply finish. Smooth out the wrinkles with your finger and apply more coats of finish. Lacquer works well. This one I did using poly and was difficult. Lacquer is more forgiving to use. If the tissue does not reach the edge of the wood I would tear, not cut the edges to help hide them more. Attached are some photos of some I have done in the past. One is over paint. 16 years ago I think.
        Decoupage over paint on Tine(3) (2).jpg

Comment

That is a great box Jim, and thanks for the information on the methods you use.

Comment

This is one of the many reasons I love this forum!
            Thank you Jim.

The box is of course beautiful. I am sure the recipient will be very happy.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I think this a great article for the magazine Bob. I think this is similar to decoupage but the paper disappears.
              Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Thank you for sharing. This is something to try just for the fun of it!
                Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Yes Linda, that is how I started out with this years ago.

Comment

I bet you will get requests for several more of those boxes. Very nice work.

"Time to give back."
                    "Time to Give Back"

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• strohman
                      Reply to Which end is up?
                      strohman
                      I did indeed have the blade in upside down. I was using some Bosch blades that I picked up from Lowes.
                      On Friday I got some Olsen blades in the mail. I hadn't ever seen any blades this thin. It was a bit of a struggle seeing the teeth, but I was able to feel the top and bottom of the blade...
                      Today, 09:49 PM
                    • Trackman
                      Reply to Fall Issue #72
                      Trackman
                      I too wish the best for Mindy!
                      Today, 07:11 PM
                    • Kiwi
                      Reply to Jaguar
                      Kiwi
                      It is a pattern from Neal Moore's book "Wildlife Portraits in Wood." He has some other interesting designs in that book and gives full instructions on how best to make each project.

Each of the pattern parts are cut from a piece of 12mm plywood. Then they are stained their respective...
                      Today, 05:32 PM
                    • leehljp
                      Reply to Fall Issue #72
                      leehljp
                      I received mine yesterday but didn't get to look through until this (Sunday) afternoon. Carole had another great article in it. This one was on a Dice Tower.

When looking at the dice tower, I didn't notice the author until I was the next page and I looked back. It was Carole!
                      Today, 03:45 PM
                    • Sandy Oaks
                      Reply to Jaguar
                      Sandy Oaks
                      Very well done. Can you show a side view to get a feel for the depth?
                      Today, 12:16 PM
                    Working...
                    X