Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Stain or Paint acceptable in Intarsia?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lignum Vitae is interesting. when you shape it it turns a light brown, put it in the sun for a couple of hours and it reverts back to green blue. DSC_6482 cropped.jpg
    Rolf
    RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Rolf, Thanks for sharing that photo. That helps.
      Hank Lee
      Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by Jo Labre View Post
        Randy - thanks for sharing that older post. I want to go back and look up the WIP postings. Love that box!
        When the site converted, a lot of the site links broke. Here is the WIP article Jim did when making the project. I wish he would have published the patterns.

https://forum.scrollsawer.com/forum/...miri-completed

I will see if I can go back and fix the link in the original article.
        "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

Thanks Randy for the links. I appreciate the links. VERY interesting.
          Hank Lee
          Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.

Comment

If I ever find any of the Lignum Vitae, I will have to give it a try. Many of the woods are more commonly found in certain regional stores than others, and sometimes never. I'm not fond of buying too much online since my monitor may or may not show me the actual colors of what's available--not to mention lighting and other factors someone may have used in photographs posted online. But it won't stop me from visiting every wood store I run across and browsing for cool colors and grains!
            Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Oh, man, Randy! I needed that! After what was a simply awful day I came home to console myself with a ice cream treat. I clicked on the link to Jim's WIP and giggled my way through all 135 posts. What an awesome project! Did we ever learn, did Jim make two more boxes for his sisters-in-laws?
              Jo Labre - in beautiful Racine, Wisconsin

Mostly, I don't know what I am doing - but I am doing it with GUSTO!

Comment

Hey Randy - as you probably know I've been on a helter-skelter work oriented trip traveling the world the past 4 years and had practically no time to do any form of woodwork. I recently called back in after an enforced stay at home for medical reasons. Imagine my surprise today to find an email in my box talking about THAT BOX! Geez, was it really that long ago?

My wife still has said crazy item on her dressing table and I still manage to raise a smile each time I look at it.

To answer a couple of questions - no there were no plans. Most of my crazier projects in the past tended to evolve rather than be planned and very often dependent on what challenges I faced on the way. This box certainly had plenty of those!

To Jo´'s question - no, my two SIL's didn't get a box. I don't think I could have pulled this off two more times.

Thanks for the memories guys!

jimmex
                Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                - Albert Einstein

Comment

To Lee - I truly admire the artists on this forum who produce absolutely wonderful works of intarsia using exotic natural woods.

Having said this I'm a great believer that the end justifies the means and that if you are happy with the result then how you got there doesn't really matter.

I spent almost all of my early scrolling days living in Mexico where exotic woods were, and still are, very hard to find so I was forced to use paints, alcohol based stains and even ebonizing to achieve the results I was looking for when working with not much more than pine and mahogany.

I like most of what I made even though looking back some of my work looks very amateurish.

In my mind using some tints to highlight an intarsia project doesn't degrade the work at all. I just think it shows a slightly different approach to achieving an end result.

My two pesos worth....
                  Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                  - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by hotshot View Post

When the site converted, a lot of the site links broke. Here is the WIP article Jim did when making the project. I wish he would have published the patterns.

https://forum.scrollsawer.com/forum/...miri-completed

I will see if I can go back and fix the link in the original article.
                    Thanks for the link to Jim's novel on building a box. The names there in the comments sure brought back a lot of memories.
                    Jim
                    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
                    Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• marshall
                      Reply to Believe Plaques
                      marshall
                      No it's not my pattern and off hand I forgot who give it too me , would have to pull it back up on the PC to find out who it was that gave it too me . I always tell people that the line on the cross may not be cut perfect , but the man that was crucified on the cross was perfect in every way . Tha...
                      Today, 06:41 PM
                    • hotshot
                      Reply to Something new, that is not a Coin . . . per se
                      hotshot
                      It is in the garage. Is that enough or do I need to have the door cracked/open? My smell is pretty decent, and there is not much of a smell. I'm running at a very very low amps/volts, so there are no bubbles from the gassing, but I'm a rookie, so I could be killing myself without knowing it. I'm actively...
                      Today, 05:23 PM
                    • Maisie
                      Blade too close to guard - tension problems
                      Maisie
                      Hi, I've been scroll sawing since 2015, so not really a newbie, but am not sure where to post this - Over the last month I've been having problems with new blades stretching to almost the edge of the guard when I cut, whereas the blade used to always be in the middle of the guard and cut really fast,...
                      Today, 04:50 PM
                    • handibunny
                      Reply to Super max sander ?
                      handibunny
                      Rick, SuperMax was sold to Laguna. Not sure who is running the show now. You might call SupeMax directly and see if you can get more info. On the other hand, it’s a tool that’s well worth the wait.

Gary, what precursor to the SuperMax?
                      Today, 04:07 PM
                    • theframer
                      Reply to Super max sander ?
                      theframer
                      I ordered one with the tables from Woodcraft in Connecticut on February 14. They asked for a $100.00 dollar deposit which I was more than happy to pay. The tool has yet to be delivered and in fact I just got off the phone with the Woodcraft office and I was told that the sale of Supermax to Laguna...
                      Today, 04:01 PM
                    Working...
                    X