Penguins - another customer request

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penguins - another customer request

It's a JGR pattern. Lady saw it and wanted it for her daughter.

Woods are ebonized walnut, aspen, blue pine, & a piece of yellow pine.
    Attached Files
    Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

I can see why she wanted it. That is great.
    AKA Paul from Washington State
    Hegner Multimax 22-V and Seyco ST-21

Comment

Love it. How did you ebonize the wood?
      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

You did a great job with the shaping, and wood selection.
        Rolf
        RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Originally posted by will8989 View Post
          There are several YouTube videos and articles on how to. Here is one I found. I have not tired it but I will likely attempt it soon.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Ebonizing-Wood-Study/
          Scott
          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Tony great job. I have only one issue with JGR patterns. So many great ones and so little time. LOL
            Scott

Comment

Very nice work. I love working with Judy's patterns - like Scott - she has so many great ones and I will probably never get to all that I love! Thanks for sharing.
              Melanie from East TN

Comment

Originally posted by will8989 View Post
                Drop a golfball size chunk of #00 steel wool in a cup of white vinegar and let it sit overnight. Next day - strain the liquid through a coffee filter into another container. Use that liquid to "paint" black walnut. Be sure to get an even coat on all pieces. If you're shaping - all shaping and sanding must be done before application. However; I do use a sanding mop to re-smooth the pieces as the liquid will raise the grain ends. Just be light with the sanding mop.

I have used the liquid on other types of wood, but the results vary. The liquid reacts to the tannins in the wood to darken it. Some woods have more tannins than others. I have heard of folks painting pieces with tea before using the solution to increase the tannin content, but I've never bothered with it and haven't needed it.
                Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

Thanks. I heard of a process that uses ammonia, some sort of tent, etc, and sounded like too much trouble. I will definitely give this a try.
                  Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by tgiro01 View Post

Drop a golfball size chunk of #00 steel wool in a cup of white vinegar and let it sit overnight. Next day - strain the liquid through a coffee filter into another container. Use that liquid to "paint" black walnut. Be sure to get an even coat on all pieces. If you're shaping - all shaping and sanding must be done before application. However; I do use a sanding mop to re-smooth the pieces as the liquid will raise the grain ends. Just be light with the sanding mop.

I have used the liquid on other types of wood, but the results vary. The liquid reacts to the tannins in the wood to darken it. Some woods have more tannins than others. I have heard of folks painting pieces with tea before using the solution to increase the tannin content, but I've never bothered with it and haven't needed it.
                    I like the simplicity of this method. I have to give it a try soon.
                    Scott

Comment

It may be a JGR pattern, but you made it uniquely special. Very cool, in a penguin sort of pun!
                      Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X