Butterfly Inlay Box

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butterfly Inlay Box

I know this is a box, but it is my attempt at inlay. The pattern is by Sue Mey and found in CEEC September 2008. I modified it by keeping the lid liner solid. I used Eastern Red Cedar for the box and Hard Maple for the butterfly inlay. I used FD Polar #1, #3, and #9 blades. The finish is sanding sealer and shellac. Comments welcome.
    Denny
    ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

www.sandyoaksonline.com

Nice, like how you did that. It eliminates all of the small inlays.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
      Nice, like how you did that. It eliminates all of the small inlays.
      Thanks Rolf. I Sue's article, she just had fretwork and not small inlays. Only the butterfly is inlaid. A lot less work.
      Denny

www.sandyoaksonline.com

Comment

This photo had me confused. THe image looks to be applied not inlaid. I expanded the image and it looks like the image is inlaid but has a backing. The shadows had me confused.
        Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,15" Jet
        You may have your PHD but I have my GED and my DD 214""

Comment

Beautiful work as always Denny. I really like the butterfly on the top of a beautiful box. Thanks for sharing.
          Melanie from East TN

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Finn View Post
            This photo had me confused. THe image looks to be applied not inlaid. I expanded the image and it looks like the image is inlaid but has a backing. The shadows had me confused.
            Sorry about the photo, Jim. Yes, the butterfly is inlaid. I made the lid liner wrong, so I made it solid giving the shadows.
            Denny

www.sandyoaksonline.com

Comment

Originally posted by meflick View Post
              Beautiful work as always Denny. I really like the butterfly on the top of a beautiful box. Thanks for sharing.
              Thanks, Melanie. I wish the sides were solid red, but that was all I had.
              Denny

www.sandyoaksonline.com

Comment

Love that box Denny.

The Red cedar looks well with the maple inlay. great job well done.
                Where did you get your red cedar? some woods are hard to get hold of here in the U.K.

Harry.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry View Post
                  Love that box Denny.

The Red cedar looks well with the maple inlay. great job well done.
                  Where did you get your red cedar? some woods are hard to get hold of here in the U.K.

Harry.
                  Thanks Harry. I bought it online from Ocooch Hardwoods.
                  Denny

www.sandyoaksonline.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to The hits just keep coming
                    Linda In Phoenix
                    Lotsa prayers, and optimistic good vibes to you all.
                    Today, 12:59 AM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to Fair win
                    Linda In Phoenix
                    Wow. Well deserved ribbons for sure. Our fair started doing some new rules about 2 years ago. Entries into "Home Arts" can be just about any design. Entries into "Fine Arts" have to be original designs. I know a couple of scrollers who used to compete in Fine Arts, especially...
                    Today, 12:58 AM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to Do you wear eye prodection at the scroll saw?
                    Linda In Phoenix
                    I'm guilty of not wearing eye protection while scrolling---other than the magnifying glass. But, I do wear wrap around safety glasses when I'm sanding, routing, etc. At the recommendation of my eye doc a few years ago, I did add one safety/health step though. He recommended that a couple times...
                    Today, 12:52 AM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to Controversial yet fun Xmas Santa
                    Linda In Phoenix
                    It is totally heartwarming to see that there is humor left in this world, and not everything has to fit some politically correct mold that attempts to please the twisted pantie nimrods. Scrollers seem to be some of the most well rounded and easy going group of folks there are. Even when we have...
                    Today, 12:45 AM
                  • Scrappile
                    Reply to Do you wear eye prodection at the scroll saw?
                    Scrappile
                    I'd be far more concerned about lung protection, but I like some, use a magnifier lamp and wear glasses (not safety). i have broken many blades never had anything "fly" anywhere, well except my lower blade holder. I have glaucoma and cataracts (although not bad enough for surgery yet). ...
                    Yesterday, 09:30 PM
                  Working...
                  X