Box with rounded sides and inlay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Box with rounded sides and inlay

I saw a video on line showing how to make this box with rounded sides and lineal inlay all around the four sides of the box. Mine is a little different than the one in the video but that video gave me the idea for this project. This box measures 6"x8"x2" deep. I put a Magnolia blossom inlay in the hinged lid but a plain top would also look nice. The lineal inlay all around the rounded sides is 1/16" poplar. The box is made of eastern red cedar and is flocked on the inside. The magnolia blossom inlay includes Poplar (leaves) Maple and Bois'darc. I used a wipe on poly for the finish. Lots of extra steps in making this. Fun to make, but I am not sure it is worth the effort as an item to sell.
    Attached Files
    Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
    "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Commented already on the other forum Jim - but thought it was worth another - great, beautiful, stunning piece! Magnolia blossoms are always well liked.

If you would care to share the link to the video I am sure others besides myself might like to see the techniques used. thanks.
    Melanie from East TN

Comment

Excellent box Jim. I too would appreciate the link to that video that inspired this work of art. Thanks for sharing this with us.

DW
      Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
      John Wayne

Comment

Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

I cannot remember where I saw the video that inspired this project. The rounded sides are done using a band saw and the sweeping inlay on the sides is done by cutting a flat side (before rounding it) diagonally with a band saw and inserting a 1/16" strip of poplar in that curve and glue it back together.
          "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

Really nice. Thanks for sharing.
            "Time to Give Back"

Comment

Good one Jim.

Comment

That is amazing, Jim.
                Denny
                ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

You've become the Master of Inlay, Jim. That's just wonderful.

I'd like to see the video, also.
                  Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

I sold two of these today, at 20% more than my other boxes. Just may be worth my while to try a few more.
                    "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

I don't know what you charge, but that would go,on my table for $80+. And it would sell.
                      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                        Reply to Maple tree
                        by will8989
                        Sadly, after I get what I want the rest will be next winters firewood for my son. I might even convince Bruce to take 2 logs to the sawmill he volunteers at and slice some. Hmmm.
                        Yesterday, 07:02 PM
                      • will8989
                        Reply to Need suggestions for Samantha’s basket
                        by will8989
                        Well, you read my mind! I’m going to make the happy birthday out of a piece of thin wood and paint it her favorite color using the sparkling green unicorn spit. Mainly because if I mess it up I won’t ruin the basket. Sam is turning 11 and I don’t think the happy birthday will bother her. But it’s...
                        Yesterday, 06:55 PM
                      • markdavd
                        by markdavd
                        That looks like it will be beautiful when done!
                        What finish are you using? I have success with a spray glue if it is not an oil based finish.

One suggestion I've done is instead of cutting the Happy Birthday as part of the main piece, cut it from thin / contrasting wood and make it...
                        Yesterday, 11:58 AM
                      • jim_mex
                        Reply to A question for any clock makers ref. clock parts
                        by jim_mex
                        Thanks guys - both sites seem to have a much broader catalog range than clockparts.com and i am sure I'll find what I need from one of them.

Appreciate the help ...
                        Yesterday, 10:21 AM
                      • Rolf
                        by Rolf
                        Hot glue should work...
                        Yesterday, 08:16 AM
                      Working...
                      X