Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Segmentation Pen cup

Here's a pic for you Janette..

It's a segmented pen holding cup, with a matching pen turned by William Young. This is something my wife was asking me for, to put on her desk at work. It's a sandwich/lamination of tulipwood, white oak, walnut, and curly hard maple. The lamination is sliced into 4" long 30degree segments and then mounted off center on the lathe. It's not big, but it's an all day event.

My daughter..yea, she lost her front tooth today. Her mouth looks like a truck hit it. I had to take her to the dentist on tuesday to have two molars drilled and then capped. She was in pain the night before, so my wife had to make an emergency visit to the dentist that morning...the dentist gassed her and froze her mouth, to get her by until that evening. While at school with her frozen mouth, she bit big time into her tongue and her front lip..there are big tooth holes in them, so they are all swollen, with two silver teeth and a missing front tooth...but she's still smiling. She plans on buying some candy when she gets her money from the tooth fairy !
    Attached Files
    Jeff Powell

Hi Jeff;
    Great looking pen holding cup . It shows off the pen that I sent to you quite nicely.
    I have seen some of your wonderful segmented pens in the turning board in the WWF site .
    Would be nice to see some of those in your cup as well. Some of your inlay and laminated pen turning lately exceeds the quality that some pen turners have strived to achieve over many years of pen turning. The spider inlay pen you made just recently was exceptionally top class.
    Nice to see that you are enjoying turning so much as I knew you would once you got your lathe.
    W.Y.
    http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

That's a really cool cup! I need to find something like that to do with my scrap pieces (that doesn't involve a lathe - since that's one thing I don't have...yet)

I just love the idea of different types of wood put together to make a solid piece..hey sounds kind of like intarsia doesn't it!! Sometime soon I'd like to try a small box if I can figure it out. Can't seem to get the grasp of it by looking at the pics in the magazine.

Did you see on America's Funniest Home Videos- the little girl that won tried to scam the tooth fairy!

Thanks for Sharing.
      Janette
      www.square-designs.com

Comment

cutting board

here's a segmentation that doesn't need a lathe..it's my cutting board.
        you can glue scraps together in a design like this, or just go random crazy...but keep the grain going the same way. This is an endgrain cutting board at that. So simple to make, it's rediculous. You glue strips together to be 11 wide by 36 long and then plane it all flat. Cross cut the strips at 1 1/4 wide. Flip every second strip upside down and glue it all back together, then plane it flat and clean up the edges. Be sure and put some feet under the bottom to keep it off the counter. You finish is with mineral spirits
        If you don't put feet under it, after it is washed, the bottom won't be able to breath and it'll warp and crack to pieces. You can go crazy gluing all them scraps back together to be like an insane quilt. Use an exterior wood glue for your glue-ups, and if you glue some end to end grain, use a waterproof epoxy.
        Attached Files
        Jeff Powell

Comment

Saw-Wheat Jeff! Excellent work there buddy.

As for your daughters missing chicklets I just hope you weren't driving the truck that hit her!
          Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Originally posted by workin for wood
            You finish is with mineral spirits
            Hi Jeff, nice cutting board, but don't you mean mineral oil, not mineral spirits?
            Marsha
            LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

I don't know Marsha...is there a difference? I guess I mean mineral oil...I just know you get it at the pharmacy, and it's supposed to be a great human liquid plumber, but I never drank it!
              Jeff Powell

Comment

Jeff, its also a great horse liquid plumber. My wife and I used it on our big critters after they busted into a bag of Sweet Feed 14, the power of that stuff is simply amazing and the results are totally disgusting as well. lol

Your lathe work gives me something to aspire to, keep on sharing!
                Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Mineral oil is the laxative...Mineral spirits is paint thinner...

Bob
                  www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Lol, the story of your daughter's teeth, Jeff. What a cutie she is!

It's a good thing there are a number of power tools I want before a lathe. I have way, way enough sawdust to generate now as it is without bowls and cups and pens to get interested in, too.
                    Kevin

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -- Dr. Seuss

NEW DeWalt 788 and that old, Jimmy- Jerry- and Kevin-rigged Delta 40-560

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X