Mother's Day Present

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mother's Day Present

This is something i made my dear old mum for mother's day, i got the flower plan out of a library book entitled-The Art of Intarsia-projects and patterns, by Garnet Hall.

The wood for the flower came from an old bread bin my wife did'nt want, all i know is when it was bought it said it was "Rubberwood". The plate i turned from an old chopping board and have no idea what it is.For my first try i must admit to being very pleased with the result, it was finished using a water based clear varnish, and the flower was finished with water based mahogany varnish.I'll post more pictures in the gallery.
    Last edited by Mackem; 03-20-2007, 02:53 PM.
    kevin/pitbull.

Looks good Kevin - and it sounds like you did some recycling ..lol

I'm hoping you're late posting the pic since Mother's Day was last weekend in the UK ...
    Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Hi Ian,cheers, i took the pics last week and just remembered to post them. LOL. Old age strikes again.
      I've got quite a few bits and pieces to re-cycle good job i'm a hoarder.LOL.
      kevin/pitbull.

Comment

Kevin, that is just wonderfull. your friend Evie

Comment

Very nice Kevin, the simple flower was one of the first ones I did. My first, the Rose, is also from that
          book.
          Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
          Jean De La Bruyere...

l
          Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Very nice plate. Love it.
            Mother's day is the second Sunday in May here. Is your mothers on this side of the ocean?
            Diane
            Dragon
            Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
            Owner of a Dewalt 788
            PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

love it kevin, like the turned plate too, for your first attempt, be proud, i would be..
              http://www.cabincraft.co.uk

Comment

Very nice! And yeah! rah! on the recycling. I also have some wood that I think is really nice but I have no idea what it is.
                Kevin

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -- Dr. Seuss

NEW DeWalt 788 and that old, Jimmy- Jerry- and Kevin-rigged Delta 40-560

Comment

Looks like the chopping block was white ash..but can't be too sure with the photo quality, but white ash is certainly hard enough for chopping block material. I'm thinking the real life look is a golden white with golden brown streaks? The flower looks great too, your mother should be proud.
                  Jeff Powell

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments, Diane my mother lives not far from me, Mother's Day was March 18th here in the U.K. and our clocks go forward this coming weekend, "HOORAY" it's also now officially Spring,"HOORAY". It was really good to get back in the shop and do some work after having so much time off with pain, touch wood as long as i don't spend too much time in one working position i seem to be alright, so i'm giving myself say 20 minutes sawing,20 minutes sanding and 20 minutes rest and things are o.k.
                    kevin/pitbull.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                      Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                      by will8989
                      The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 ‚Äúseasons‚ÄĚ, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                      Today, 11:10 PM
                    • will8989
                      Reply to Farmers market
                      by will8989
                      Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                      Today, 10:31 PM
                    • tgiro01
                      Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                      by tgiro01
                      Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                      Today, 09:38 PM
                    • Linda In Phoenix
                      Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
                      Today, 06:47 PM
                    • Linda In Phoenix
                      Reply to Plastic puzzle
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
                      Today, 06:38 PM
                    Working...
                    X