The Bears from Neal's book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bears from Neal's book

I just finished The Bears from Neal Moore's book "Animal Portraits in Wood".

I would like to thank Neal for his time, not only in writing this book, but also in making time to answer my questions. I would like to thank Fox Publishing for publishing the book and having the open house. That's where I met Neal and in his class he gave me (and others) the confidence to do a project like this.

This was a great and fun project even tho I broke blades and burned my fingers using the hot glue gun during the assembly process. I think the next time I do one of these it will be the Tiger.

Well, here it is for your perusal.

-Bill
    Attached Files
    -Bill

My saw is a DeWalt788 Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

That is beautiful work. It's stuff like this that keeps me coming back.
    Joel

Comment

Those bears are beautiful. You did them justice. Very nice work.
      Diane
      Dragon
      Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
      Owner of a Dewalt 788
      PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Love'em Bill!!! Those are officially known as "Rivari's Bears" as I put them in the book for him before he deployed. Really nice work!!
        If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

EXCELLENT job Bill!! I really like them.
          ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

That's a lovely piece of work, Bill. Well done .

Gill
            There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
            (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Nice work on the bear Bill.

Bob
              Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Very nice bears, Bill. You did a great job.
                Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Great work Bill, couldn't tell for sure but is that segmentation or intarsha? Haven't tried either one yet but this one sure makes me want to.
                  Troy

Scrollin' with DeWalt DW788

Comment

Nice segmentation work Bill,

And a very nice staining job too.
                    What was the final finish?

I'm sure the tiger will be fun for you to do also now that you have learned a few tricks in practice.
                    And my question would be: What is the most important thing you consider having learned doing this piece?

Regards,
                    Marcel
                    http://marleb.com
                    DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

What other projects are in your book Neal? I noticed it the other day and I still have a gift certificate I need to use!!

Janette
                      Janette
                      www.square-designs.com

Comment

Very nice cutting Bill, and a great pattern Neal.
                        kevin/pitbull.

Comment

Janette...there are 16 projects in there, three basic "learning" projects and 13 more complicated pieces such as the Bears. There are a Bison Skull, Eagle, Wild Mustang, Great horned Owl, Giraffe, Wolf, Barn Owl, Jaguar, Bobcat, Tiger, Bears, Antelope, Lion, Lioness, and Cheetah. Several of the patterns would lend themselves well to Inarsia with a little modification. Mind you, I'm not advertising the book.....but I'd sure appreciate you buying it!! LOL!!!
                          If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

Great job Bill! I'm curious about the stain also. And was this your first attempt at segmentation?
                            Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

One word....WOW! Great job on those Bill.
                              Kevin
                              Scrollsaw Patterns Online
                              Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                                Reply to New tools
                                by jim_mex
                                Hi Rhys - I did finally get the center stand for the bike a couple of weeks back after it was stuck in customs for almost a month. Still have to put it on. The paddock stand will help me do this - Lol!

Of course you are correct in that the center stand does a similar job but the advantage...
                                Yesterday, 11:14 PM
                              • Hobbyhorse
                                Reply to New tools
                                by Hobbyhorse
                                Did you ever get the centre stand for the bike? A paddock stand does the same thing finally, I guess.
                                Yesterday, 11:03 PM
                              • Hobbyhorse
                                Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                                by Hobbyhorse
                                Brilliant stuff Jim. Congratulations on the layout and the workmanship, but most of all enjoy it.
                                Yesterday, 10:58 PM
                              • KarlB
                                Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                                by KarlB
                                Very nice Jim. You have a very contemporary look now! Since I do cabinet, Entertainment centers, etc. for my work I see a lot of the same looks being done here in Naples. (i.e. large porcelain tiles, lighted dropped ceiling)

I do like your use of the space in the door way for additional...
                                Yesterday, 09:41 PM
                              • KarlB
                                Reply to Craft Knife blade holder
                                by KarlB
                                Well judging from the photos, it looks like it could be a scroll or band saw. (The photos, although a bit blurred, show a few burrs at the cut.) It also appears the set screw may go into the other side of the cut as the hole on the blade would allow the pass through. Maybe, however it is just a pressure...
                                Yesterday, 09:31 PM
                              Working...
                              X