Flex sander review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flex sander review

Well, I have the same soft drum that neal spoke of in a different post, and it worked fine for me along with my $99 OSS (oscillating spindle sander). You do have to be careful as to not get the soft pad inside the seyco sanding sleeve hot, because that could be a mess. I also somewhere have a sanding mop I purchased a couple years ago, but for the life of me I cant figure out where I am storing it yet.
    Santa Claus read my thread on here about wanting an inflatable drum sander for Christmas, and luckily I was a pretty good boy last year I guess ,because I got one. So heres my officially unofficial review of that tool.
    Its the Grizzly G0518 drum/flapwheel sander. Its built heavy, definatly a sturdy machine. It has all the power anyone would ever need for intarsia. It was super easy to assemble, even though it came in three boxes.Like I said, it has plenty of power, 1hp, and turns at 1750 RPM. I would prefer it to turn a little bit slower, but the speed hasnt posed any problem yet. The flap wheel is mounted on the right side, and I have barely broke that in yet, but it works good. I do have issues though with sanding small pieces, as my thumbnail now is probably half its original thickness from the sandpaper fingers touching it, but thats a user problem, not manufacturers problem.On the left side is the inflatable drum. I like it, but do wish it was a little smaller in diameter. Its 4 inch dia. It sure can hog off wood and shape in a hurry, which is what is needed. Dust collection will always be a problem on anything that turns and sands, but I am thinking of a way to build some sort of schroud that mounted under the drum a little more to catch more of the dust ,but then again, I have never been called a neat freak either. For anyone really into intarsia, I think this machine would be a welcome tool to have, but I do think the grizzly smaller machine, the G8749 would be just as handy, possibly more handy because of the smaller diameter inflatable drum,but without dust collection hookups and a base,the reasons santa delivered the big one. Dale
    Attached Files
    Dale w/ yella saws

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
    Reply to Tough Decisions
    by Rolf
    SSWWC and the older CWWC magazines were and are still a great source of for my Christmas ornaments. I can't count the times we have gone through the issues an said "how did we miss this one". I agree I was disappointed with the lack of Christmas and holiday patterns in last years Winter edition....
    Today, 08:35 AM
  • Rolf
    Reply to My covid angel
    by Rolf
    Yes. Like Linda said you want it to appear that the angel is sitting on the cloud....
    Today, 07:47 AM
  • planeur
    Reply to My covid angel
    by planeur
    Rolf when you say taper from right to left, do you mean thinner near the body and thicker at the end of cloud as on the wing ?
    And on each cloud touching the body ?
    I had already sand some part , will show show soon!

Thanks

Yesterday, 09:22 PM
  • will8989
    Reply to Tough Decisions
    by will8989
    I did that with Creative Woodworks. But when Bruce's group had their monthly meetings and swaps, somehow or other the ones I didn't buy ended up here! I keep all my holiday ones separate. But I also look at other patterns and think how I can reuse it. But sometimes that is just too much for my brain...
    Yesterday, 12:27 PM
  • Don in Brooklin On
    Reply to Tough Decisions
    by Don in Brooklin On
    Since I refuse to subscribe till they do something about the patterns in the pull out. They even made the DVD tough to print patterns.

What I do is look at the index of the book on scrollsawer.com and if see something I might want to cut I go to Walmart and check out the book. If I like...
    Yesterday, 11:59 AM
Working...
X