Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Progress- Dog commission "Belle"

Hi,
    Had to take a bit of a break from the birdies to get this custom piece made for a veterenarian of her dog. Here - it's all cut out and ready to begin shaping.

Belleweb.jpg Bellecutouwebt.jpg
    Janette
    www.square-designs.com

Where are all of you people purchasing your time?It seems Im not getting a good deal on it, because my supply runs out way before I get very far everyday!!! the doggie looks good so far. Dale
    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Wow, that's looking sharp even before the shaping.

Paul S.

Comment

question

janette this goes back to my question about making your own patterns. how did you do this with the dog. did you just trace the details or did you use a graphic program. any hints on this would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
        jesse
        http://www.scrollsawwoodart.com

Comment

Jeanette,

I admire your eye for choosing the proper wood for color.

You certainly are a talented lady.

regards,
          Marcel
          http://marleb.com
          DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Originally posted by woodwilldo
            janette this goes back to my question about making your own patterns. how did you do this with the dog. did you just trace the details or did you use a graphic program. any hints on this would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
            jesse
            When I do custom pets, I use a light box with the photo taped onto it and vellum or tracing paper. This gets me the right perspective (where the eyes go, nose, etc.). I do a basic outline sketch this way and complete the "pieces" by hand. Then I scan it and use pattern wizzard to draw it on the computer so I can blow it up to the size I want and print multiple copies to use for cutting. Nothing high tech here!
            Janette
            www.square-designs.com

Comment

yea, that's pretty much how I'd have made that pattern too. He looks better in wood than he does in real life. Nice job Janette
              Jeff Powell

Comment

where can one obtain the 'pattern wizard' from, and thank you janette, i love watching what you are doing, now all i need to see is how you go about marking where the shape should be, and the actual shaping.
                stevebuk
                http://www.cabincraft.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by stevebuk
                  where can one obtain the 'pattern wizard' from, and thank you janette, i love watching what you are doing, now all i need to see is how you go about marking where the shape should be, and the actual shaping.
                  stevebuk
                  You can download it for a free 48 hour trial (actual use time- which lasted me a LONG time)
                  http://www.sgdesigns.com/

It's made for the stained glass people but once the intarsia folks found it- they probably get more business from us! It is very reasonable to buy once the trial is done as well.
                  Janette
                  www.square-designs.com

Comment

Rough Shaping done

I got the rough shaping done on Bell. It's a little tricky when you have a 3/4 pose like this one but I think it came out ok.

Belleroughsandedweb.jpg
                    Janette
                    www.square-designs.com

Comment

Looks great Janette, well done.
                      Bruce F. Worthington

www.intarsia.net 2 free e-books on Intarsia
                      http://intarsia.hostcentric.com/home/homepage/ patterns
                      Chat Room
                      http://intarsia.hostcentric.com/home/chatroom.htm
                      e-mail [email protected]

You never stop learning..

Comment

I agree its coming out great!! Can you list wood species please? I am in the middle of shaping of a choc lab intarsia and it is very hard for me to get the right heights that are pleasing to the eye. Dale
                        Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Sanded and glued

Here's a pic of her all sanded and glued. I should be able to put the first coat of finish on this afternoon.

The woods I used are: For the main body: Angelim Pedra and soft maple. The eyes are ebony, cherry, aspen, peruvian walnut, walnut and mahogany. The collar is peruvian walnut and vermillion (which should go red with finish), tags are blue pine, nose is camphor burl. I used antique white acrylic paint for the highlight in the eye.

Also, just added a picture of her with a coat of gel varnish. One more coat to go, then the backing and she's done!

Bellesandedandgluedweb.jpg Bellefirstcoatfinishweb.jpg
                          Last edited by Janette; 02-12-2007, 04:02 PM.
                          Janette
                          www.square-designs.com

Comment

I'll try this again. ...I posted earlier but it went off into cyberspace!

I finished Belle today and she's going to her new home on the weekend. Here she is all done.

BelleFinishedweb.jpg
                            Janette
                            www.square-designs.com

Comment

That is really cute Janette and very nicely done - I like the little "bone shaped tag ...
                              Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X