X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A real treat

If you want to give yourself a treat, take a look at Jeff's gallery
    http://www.scrollsawer.com/gallery/s...00&ppuser=4115

There are a lot of good scrollers on this board but Jeff is a true craftsman.

Bob D - you should be flying to his door to get a book and some articles out of him.

Nice work Jeff!
    Dan

-Just do'in the best I can every day

workinforwood

I don't know to many truck drivers who cut wood other than fire wood...
    there's no dout Jeff is a master at what he does...

Trout
    Hawk G-4 Jetcraft
    Fish are food, not friends!

Comment

Originally posted by owler
      If you want to give yourself a treat, take a look at Jeff's gallery
      http://www.scrollsawer.com/gallery/s...00&ppuser=4115

There are a lot of good scrollers on this board but Jeff is a true craftsman.

Bob D - you should be flying to his door to get a book and some articles out of him.

Nice work Jeff!
      Owler,
      I couldn't agree with you more. I think Jeff's work is a treat to the eyes. Although I do not do intarsia, I can really appreciate the work that Jeff puts into a project. I think it is just a matter of time, before we start seeing lots of his work in the magazines.
      Marsha
      LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

dang, thanx guys, now I"m blushing.
        Jeff Powell

Comment

Wow , Jeff , Your work is awsum for sure. Evie

Comment

At the risk of making, Jeff blush even more I think his work is awesome too I love the Living Planet piece especially.

What type of wood is that on the toucan's bill, Jeff? And how did you get the black on the whale?

Bit disappointed that the UK isn't on the map though - looks like that darn tree frog ate it ..

Ian
            Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

The toucan bill is culry chakte Cok cut where the sap meets the heart wood, and the whale is Wenge. Expensive whale and difficult to shape. I used a pneumatic grinder with a 30 grit wheel. The water is Jamaican Blue Mahoe, but not the good stuff, it's from florida. The crane is box elder from my back yard. The lion is my favorite with the Flaming Maple. Can't remember what the otter was made of, but it's a super tough iron wood similar to purpleheart. All whiskers are pure black ebony. The parot is Bloodwood with the same ebony beak. The reeds are made from Canary Wood. The frog is Cocobolo. Pretty simple picture to make actually, it's all a matter of good planning.
              Jeff Powell

Comment

Thanks for that Jeff. I'm very much a novice at identifying wood and you seem to manage to find a lot of interesting species - there's a couple of woods there I've never even heard of!

Do you buy your wood in Michigan?

I thought the parrot looked like bloodwood but it has a more pronounced grain than the piece I have here. It's really nice to cut even though it eats blades.. I like the smell of it too very distinctive..
                Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

check the end of the board on your bloodwood. If it smiles, it's flatsawn, if it's pretty much straight up and down it's rift-sawn. Rift is more stable, but more boring to look at.
                  Most of my wood I buy here in Michigan, but I mail-order too, and sometimes ebay. I have alot of exotics that I cut down myself locally. Exotic isn't necessarily from another country, rather it is wood that is not commercially harvested. Purpleheart for instance is sold as exotic, but is actually domestic lumber because it is mass produced, where as a pear tree is exotic because it is not mass produced and commercialized. I love fruit tree's, plums, pears, apples, blackberry bushes, apricot...these are all exotics. Who knows what's in that ornamental tree or big bush that the neighbor is burning and you could be cutting up, drying and using.
                  In Canada I have a favorite place to shop. It's in Burlington Ontario...Exotic woods inc. I think it's called. Don't have their business card on me, but he has a monster selection, and always finds something unique to sell.
                  Jeff Powell

Comment

Jeff, How often do you get up this way?
                    I too shop at Exotic Wood's. Everytime I go to Lee Valley, I stop at Exotic, they're just around the corner from each other. I do find them a bit pricey, but when I'm making a new chess set I go there for the wood, they will resaw and plane so I get exactly what I need.
                    Actually they're the only wood supplier in this area who sell unusual species of wood, at least they're the only one I'm aware of.
                    I've tried Aitchison's but all I can get there is great cedar.
                    Marsha

Comment

Been a few years since I've been to Canada. My mother lives in Hamilton on the mountain. Last time I mail ordered from Exotic woods. I'm hoping to make it down there this next summer though but it depends also on the border crossing passport issue. I don't want to buy 5 passports just to go to canada. I have a wife and 3 kids that I have to take too. Would be nice to compete with some intarsia in the toronto area if there is such a thing there.
                      Jeff Powell

Comment

Jeff, it's great that your mom still lives here. I hope you can get up in the summer, maybe we could meet, and have a coffee. The passport issue shouldn't come up, you have Canadian Citizen, don't you, besides I thought the Canadian Government was holding off on passports for the next few years.
                        Toronto does have a couple of shows that you could enter your intarsia. The schedule should come out pretty soon. I hesitate to mention the site where you can check out the shows, but I'll send you a link in a PM. There is also a show at the Mount Hope airport, you might be interested in.
                        Marsha

Comment

Man , you are nothing short of amazing
                          that kind've stuff makes my jaw drop anyway but your work is almost magical !
                          For the life of me I don't know how you guys do that
                          ...~Robert~
                          DW788 and Hawk 226

" Please let me grow to be the man my dog thinks I am "

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                            Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                            by Linda In Phoenix
                            Sawstop instructions are some of the best I've ever worked with. Each part comes labeled with a letter to match instructions, hardware in color coded and labeled to match labels and colors in instructions. Full poster size instructions with pics in addition to manual instructions. Could only find one...
                            Today, 09:57 AM
                          • Rolf
                            Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                            by Rolf
                            So glad they were supportive, it is a bit disappointing that they had to be. But like any tool manufacturer they have to out source many of the components like the motor. At least the motor is mounted externally for an easy change. How true was the blade to the miter slots etc.
                            I like the fact...
                            Today, 08:34 AM
                          • will8989
                            Reply to Farmers market
                            by will8989
                            Steve posted it about 2 weeks ago. I just put out a small sampling of items to see what people are interested in. Seems to be everything! I did notice I had more credit charges than last year. But the ones who paid cash were the ones who paid $7 for a gallon of milk and $10 for a loaf of sourdough bread....
                            Today, 08:17 AM
                          • Sandy Oaks
                            Reply to Farmers market
                            by Sandy Oaks
                            Way to go, Betty. Our farmers market does not allow craft sales.
                            Today, 08:17 AM
                          • Rolf
                            Reply to Farmers market
                            by Rolf
                            Good for you! Who designed the small nativity?
                            Today, 08:10 AM
                          Working...
                          X