backing methods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backing methods

Hi, I am new to intarsia, but I am loving it, have made a few pieces, but was wondering has anyone use any other method for the backing besides wood. Would like to find something that lets the piece hang flush to the wall. Was wondering if gluing to canvas would work.

I've never considered using canvas, but see no reason it wouldn't work if you don't mind flexibility in your project. I like my intarsia to fit tightly together and have no gaps and wonder if something stretchy like fabrics would stretch enough with the weight of the wood to cause the piece to pull apart over time. Edge gluing the pieces of the project together might delay that, but the flexibility of the backer might allow those glue joints to separate, especially if you use CA glue to join the pieces. It glues quickly but is not strong. That's why some folks use it for temporary glue joints while shaping. Just my thoughts.

Jan

Comment

I have used veneer and also 1/32 plywood
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I haven't tried 1/32 plywood. I didn't know that was available. Where do you find it?

Jan

Comment

I found some at Micheals or AC Moore. I use it for book marks. I have also bought it from Sloans
          Plywoods

That has been on smaller projects I think it would be too thin for a really big project.

I use 1/16 for most of my ornaments.
          Rolf

Comment

Thanks, Rolf. I have an order for several intarsia projects that have to be mounted inside ship's wheels. I'm looking for something thin with a clear surface that can be used as part of the design as well as the backer. It's being screwed to the wheel along the spokes and rim. I'd appreciate your thoughts as to whether this would be feasible for this purpose.
            Thanks

Jan

Comment

My son Jason made this Eagle when he was in High School, he is now 35 years old. The backing on this is Muslin. I think it is about 17 or 18 years old and it is still holding up very well. It sits flat against the wall.

It is stiff and not flexible.
              Attached Files
              Dave
              "Tight's tight, too tight's broken"

My Gallery

Comment

thanks for the suggestions, right now I am experimenting with a piece of canvas coated with glue, waiting to see how it does after it drys.

Comment

The best way I can think of to have your project flush with the wall is to use no backer at all. I like large projects to have a backer, but for most of my smaller ones, I simply edge glue, and once the glue has dried, apply more glue over the back to fill any gaps and then sand it smooth. Granted, your fit has to be quite good to use this method. I use dowels for extra strength in any fragile areas (like bird tail feathers). Works fine, saves some money.

Lou
                  www.woodbylouise.ca

Comment

Jan, how will it be fastened to the wheel?
                    Rolf

Comment

The backer is attached to the wheel at multiple places with wood screws. The intarsia is then glued to the backer in the usual manner.

Jan

Comment

I would use 1/8 and depending on the size of it maybe the 1/16.
                        Rolf

Comment

Thanks, Rolf. I can attach the backer to the wheel in enough places to make it rigid. One of my problems is that the depth from the surface of the wheel to the mounting point is 1/8. I think I'll take the chance of wasting some wood to see if I can get the 1/16 stiff enough to support the project. I wondered if you'd agree with going that thin. I don't know if you saw the project with the schooner in the wheel. That boat was 22 in. tall and mounted to 1/8 Masonite. It worked well and looked fine. The rest of the wheels are smaller with the inner circle I'm filling measuring approx 14 in. in dia. Any further thoughts?

Jan

Comment

The more I think about it we are making very strong lamination by glueing our pieces of wood to each other and to the backer. I would think the 1/16 will be fine.

As I stated earlier I have used thin veneer on some small projects.
                            Rolf

Comment

Thanks for your input, Rolf. I really appreciate your help. I thought I was on the right track but haven't worked with woods that thin.

Jan

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                                The bags seem easier on the surface.
                                But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                                Today, 03:24 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                                Today, 10:32 AM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                                Today, 09:46 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by NC Scroller
                                I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                                Today, 07:42 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                by NC Scroller
                                I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
                                Today, 07:39 AM
                              Working...
                              X