Kathy Wise Eagle with a JGR Twist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kathy Wise Eagle with a JGR Twist

A couple of years ago, when I was first getting into intarsia, and had absolutely no idea what I was doing, I started this project out of Kathy's book. It didn't take long to realize how deep over my head I was getting.

Consequently, all those pieces got stored in ziplock bags and stuffed into a drawer - and - I went to visit Judy Gale Roberts a few times (in fact the fourth trip will be in October).

A month ago, my niece saw the bags and wanted to know what they were. I showed her the picture from the book and she loved it. With some training and a lot more intarsia under the belt I put it all together & tried again. After replacing some previously poor scroll sawing - it came together quite nicely.

The fun began when the niece asked about the texturing. I showed her the picture again and Kathy didn't include any texturing on the body of this bird, but my niece wanted texturing.

So - "The customer is always - you know. . ." and I studied the thing for awhile, fired up the Wonder Wheel and went to town. The result is in the photos and my niece loves it.

I hope Kathy won't be too angry with me changing her plan, but she told me once that I was supposed to have fun with this stuff - and Ima gonna do that
    Attached Files
    The good woodworker does not craft the wood for honor. He uses his craft to honor the wood.

Nicely done. I really like the added texturing as well. Adds more realism to this project.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Lovely piece and absolutely flawless cutting and shaping. I totally agree that we should have fun with our pieces and I sure hope that Kathy does not mind given what I have done to her Jaguar pattern....

Alain

Comment

Those added details are what make it our own! Beautiful piece of work, aren't you glad you waited to finish it.
        I have always looked at any design as a starting point or refference the rest is up to us.
        What wood did you use? Walnut, yellowheart and aspen or Holly?
        Rolf
        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Oooooooo! Stuff like that makes me wish I had the patience to do intarsia!!!!! That's beautiful!

Comment

You did a fantastic job on that piece, tgiro. I don't do Intarsia, but, that is great. I love the added texture. Your niece was right, it sure added a great deal to the Eagle, & it is your added touch that makes it one of a kind-- yours ! Thanks for showing your talent to us.
            PERK

Comment

Awesome attention to detail. Love your work.

Comment

Well that just looks magnificent..!!!!
                Awesome even...
                This is where scroll sawing becomes ART...
                VERY nice...!!!!
                Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
                No task is too tedious for Art.
                Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
                Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Hello tgiro
                  that is beautifully done. The small changes make the piece yours. It is a good feeling when you can take a beautiful pattern and tweek it through choices of woods or texturing or other small changes into a finished project that is truly 'one of a kind". By the way, what woods did you use?
                  north wood clocks

Comment

SSSSSSSMMMMMMMOKIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know what you mean. There were a lot of patterns I had to wait on until I took a couple of Judy's classes. Now they all just turn out so much nicer.

That eagle is killer, and once you know how to capture the attention to detail, it completes the project.

Comment

I think it turned out AWESOME!
                      "All it Takes For the Forces of EVIL to Rule Is For Enough GOOD People To DO NOTHING!"

Saws: Excaliber 30; Dewalt 788 'Twins', Makita SJ401 (Retired), Grizzly G1012 18" Bandsaw

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                        Those added details are what make it our own! Beautiful piece of work, aren't you glad you waited to finish it.
                        I have always looked at any design as a starting point or refference the rest is up to us.
                        What wood did you use? Walnut, yellowheart and aspen or Holly?
                        Body is walnut
                        Head & white feathers are holly
                        Beak & legs are yellowheart
                        The other light wood is Sarsaparilla (sic?).
                        The good woodworker does not craft the wood for honor. He uses his craft to honor the wood.

Comment

I love it, you did a great job. Love the texturing
                          Jackie

Comment

Beautifully done! Thanks for sharing and God Bless! Spirithorse

Comment

Wow, that's amazing. The texturing adds realism to the piece. Thanks for sharing it with us and thanks to you niece for giving you the nudge.
                              Mick
                              I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. Winston Churchill

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X