Intarsia kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intarsia kits

Does anyone sell intarsia kits... complete with patterns and wood for the piece? If not... someone needs to get on that. =)

Part of my issue with intarsia right now is that I don't have enough different wood for most of the patterns. I realize these types of kits may only be interesting to beginners, and also that wood selection and composition is part of the art of it, but as new scrollers are experimenting with different styles I would imagine more than a few skipped intarsia because of the variety of woods involved.

I found this the other day while reading the forums. Intarsia Kits hope that help.

Comment

Excellent thank you!
      Last edited by bstark; 06-22-2012, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Hi Brad,

Also consider that you don't need fancy hardwoods. Western Red Cedar is fairly inexpensive, has a wide range of tones, and should be easy to find locally in OR. It cuts and shapes well and should be a great wood to start with (and to continue with).

Take appropriate precautions (wear a respirator!) when cutting and sanding it.

--Rob

Comment

Another alternative is to use pine and stain the pieces.
          You still have to choose the wood for the grain you are looking for
          and each piece is cut separately with grain orientation in mind so, in my opinion,
          it doesn't demean the art of intarsia and doesn't mean you are any less talented.
          This also allows you to charge less for the finished product because you didn't spend
          a fortune on imported woods.
          God Bless! Spirithorse

Comment

Kits also available here

Intarsia Kits by Garnet Hall

All Kits $24.95 plus 14.95 S/H to USA or Canada

Don
            Last edited by Don in Brooklin On; 06-22-2012, 04:44 AM. Reason: Added price
            Don McFarland ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

Kathy Wise also has some kits that are a great way to get a taste for intarsia,
              Kathy Wise Intarsia Books & Kits | Page 1 of 1
              Rolf
              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Some really beautiful kits are available from www.MidlothianWoodworks.com. Mike is a member here and does some amazing work.

Jan

Comment

Jan, you just beat me to it. Went to get my fellow Midlothian woodworker's web address, then read your response. Anyway, here it. Is again:
                  Midlothian Woodworks
                  Also if you Google "intarsia kits" you get all of these suggestions and some others.
                  Steve in Richmond, VA with a DW-788

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• cwmagee
                    Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                    by cwmagee
                    Jim,

Should you ever get bored, you may have found a new retirement/career "Key Board Repair Service"
                    Today, 03:36 PM
                  • Sandy Oaks
                    Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                    by Sandy Oaks
                    So true about letting the blade do to cutting....
                    Today, 02:56 PM
                  • NC Scroller
                    Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                    by NC Scroller
                    I have made a number of those Harvey puzzles. They are a lot of fun. You really need to be patient and let the blade cut. Even the slightest pressure can ruin your puzzle piece fit. My go to is a Pegas #3 MGT....
                    Today, 11:24 AM
                  • NC Scroller
                    Reply to Big week here
                    by NC Scroller
                    Congrats on your pending retirement and gaining a new daughter. I have been retired close to 6 years now and I have no idea where the time went. Yes retirement will mean some adjustment but I can tell you it is the best job I have ever had. By the way. If you think retirement means unlimited shop...
                    Today, 11:18 AM
                  • jim_mex
                    Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                    by jim_mex
                    Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Norma and I are still growing into our 'new' home but are really happy that we got this work done and everyone who has seen the transformation have been wowed.

From my side I'm really pleased with how my kitchen extension idea worked out....
                    Today, 09:17 AM
                  Working...
                  X