Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Trip!

Just got back from two weeks worth.

Spent a weekend in Georgia & S Carolina visiting with the second oldest son & his family.

Then spent three days with Judy Gale Roberts and came away with this awesome wolf. I know no other words to describe Judy, her classes and staff but "Awesome!!". She is a marvelous teacher and artist & Marion and Stacey are great. I'm back to seer them in October to do the Buffalo Bill Project.

Then off to Garland, TX, where I dropped of the Ballerina bear for my 5-year old great-grand daughter, who is starting ballet classes - And - the fireman bear for the 3-year old great-grandson who is enamored with anything "Fire Department".

While I was in Garland, I took a side road to Rockwall, TX to meet the famous Ray Seymore of SeyCo. I picked up some flex drums and gave him about 30 minutes to talk me out of buying an Excalibur. He just couldn't do it and I walked off with a brand new EX-21. Yippeee!

Watta Trip!!!
    Attached Files
    The good woodworker does not craft the wood for honor. He uses his craft to honor the wood.

Excellent projects which I'm sure were accepted with huge smiles and tons of hugs. Good for you on the new acquisition you will not be sorry. I am envious you live close enough to another scroller you could enjoy a class from one of the masters.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Outstanding trip, and one you won't forget. Taking one of Judy's classes will really open your eyes to intarsia. The shaping of those bears shows you have learned well. Excellent job on all 3 of your projects, my favorite is the fireman bear. The wood choices make that one stand out the most. Congratulations on your new toy too. The better your equipment the better your projects turn out.

Comment

Excellent work! Thanks for sharing and God Bless! Spirithorse

Comment

It sounds like a road trip with pleasant interludes. Great job on the wolf and the bears. Lucky grandkids and happy grandparents.

Mike

Comment

I'm REALLY jealous! Not only did you get to spend time with Judy Gale in those beautiful Tennessee mountains and learn from the master, but you met Ray! Both are on my bucket list. You are one lucky dog. Beautiful work on all three projects. I know your grandkids loved the bears.

Jan

Comment

I already have dibs on the wolf pattern as soon as it is released to the rest of us.
              I did the lion cub in the int II class last year. Judy's gallery is humbling isn't it.
              And yes the whole crew are absolutely wonderful, did you also go to Jeffries?
              Rolf
              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                I already have dibs on the wolf pattern as soon as it is released to the rest of us.
                I did the lion cub in the int II class last year. Judy's gallery is humbling isn't it.
                And yes the whole crew are absolutely wonderful, did you also go to Jeffries?
                Didn't make it to Jefferies, yet. Hopefully, while I'm there inOctober. I understand they have wood that others usually don't. Must be the "Judy" influence at work :-)
                The good woodworker does not craft the wood for honor. He uses his craft to honor the wood.

Comment

Jeffries does a lot of business thanks to Judy.
                  I drove down from NY in a Jeep so I took some wood back with me. Yellowheart, Holly, Lignum Vitea, some different Cedar and a few other things.
                  Rolf
                  RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                  Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                  Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                  And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Sounds like a wonderful experience. It is just too bad that it is so far from Montreal.

Your work is awesome. Really like the wolf!

Alain

Comment

Love your pieces. I can't figure out my favorite.

Intarsia is one of my goals to do within the next year.

I am currently on my own Tennessee road trip and made a stop into Judy's place today. What a wonderful hostess. Got to see all her lovely pieces and Judy took the time to give me the full tour of the shop and demonstrated the wonder wheel that I ended up buying. (planning ahead). Certainly made my day.

For anyone coming this way it is worth the trip out to Judy's place.

It is on my bucket list to come back for her course in the future.

Don
                      Don McFarland ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

Love both of the bears.
                        Sounds like you had a nice eventful trip. Would love to meet Judy. I have met Ray and his wife, very nice folks. His place of business used to be in Garland in the early 90's and I would go by and buy scrollsaw blades and wanted the Excalibur saw back then. When the EX21 came out I bought it. That was in 2005 and it is still going strong.
                        Fran

Comment

Sweeeeet job on those Intarsia pieces tgiro, looks like teacher and student were on the same page. Glad you had a great trip.
                          Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                            Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                            by will8989
                            None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
                            Today, 12:20 AM
                          • Linda In Phoenix
                            by Linda In Phoenix
                            What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                            The bags seem easier on the surface.
                            But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                            Yesterday, 03:24 PM
                          • will8989
                            Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                            by will8989
                            Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                            Yesterday, 10:32 AM
                          • Sandy Oaks
                            by Sandy Oaks
                            As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                            Yesterday, 09:46 AM
                          • NC Scroller
                            Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                            by NC Scroller
                            I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                            Yesterday, 07:42 AM
                          Working...
                          X