Inlay redone as Overlay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inlay redone as Overlay

I am searching for a way to make more supplemental income than I do with just puzzles. My first lesson learned from puzzles was to find a highier price point item. To do that, I did some local research of what is selling at local shows, online and actual retail gift stores. Keeping in line with the equipment I have and my talents, the idea of boxes came up.

So, here are pictures of my first attempts which are more prototype than commercial. The pictures were taken to protect the wood worker. The point is to show how to take scroll work and combine it with some other wood working to create another product. Part of my idea started with Jim Finn and his double bevel inlay boxes. The rose inlay is a double bevel, but others are a twist on the idea. The butterfly is stack cutting different woods and then overlaying it rather than inlaying it. The overlay rose started life as double bevel, but ended up as an overlay.

Just thowing some ideas out there.

Steve.
    Attached Files
    Steve.
    EX-16, DW-788, Dremel 1680

Steve, those are very nice. I really like the butterfly.
    Fran

Comment

I like the look of the butterfly where the interior pieces are smoothed down so they leave room at the corners. It almost looks like you found river rocks and cut the wing to fit around them. Very cool.

--Rob

Comment

Nice adaptation to your skills. The butterfly is really nicely done and looks like it uses scraps that normally would be in the burn pile.

george
        A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
        George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Nice ideas, well done. What is the green wood in the butterfly? Lignum Vitae?
          Rolf
          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Rolf - your eye picked it right, Lignum.

Other butterfly colors are Paduak, Bloodwood and Brazilian Cherry. Bloodwood was from a friend, but others were from "sale" turner blocks at Woodcraft.

The rose head is Poplar sapwood.

Steve.
            Steve.
            EX-16, DW-788, Dremel 1680

Comment

I'll tell you Steve...Your inlays look great...!!!!
              Nice stuff...!!!
              Keep makin' dust...
              Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
              No task is too tedious for Art.
              Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
              Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Nicely done. Now take it a step further and use different framing joinery complimenting your traditional miter joints. Half lap, butt joints etc. You will have a hit on your hands.
                "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Good job on those boxes. I continually look for different ways to decorate boxes also. I have combined my carving skills with inlay and /or overlays. I have also just made a cedar box with a plywood lid that has a border of cedar and an image carved into the ply. I like it but it has not sold yet.
                  Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
                  "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

Those look pretty cool. I loved the idea of possible using river stones for the colors in the butterfly as suggested by Rob.
                    Tammy

Pressure makes diamonds

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                      Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                      by will8989
                      The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                      Today, 11:10 PM
                    • will8989
                      Reply to Farmers market
                      by will8989
                      Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                      Today, 10:31 PM
                    • tgiro01
                      Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                      by tgiro01
                      Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                      Today, 09:38 PM
                    • Linda In Phoenix
                      Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
                      Today, 06:47 PM
                    • Linda In Phoenix
                      Reply to Plastic puzzle
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
                      Today, 06:38 PM
                    Working...
                    X