Great Blue Heron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Blue Heron

Here's my rendition of Bruce W.'s heron. It is now at the art shop waiting for a new home.

Woods are blue pine, clear pine, spalted maple, poplar, aspen, western red cedar, walnut and ebonized mahogany.

Jan
    Attached Files

Were you and scrolling_grandma in a heron competition? LOL
    Excellent job on yours too, everything looks nice and tight.

Comment

Nope, I was growling in intarsia chat about doing this one for sale, Tammy (scrolling_grandma) piped up and said she was doing one too. Then she gave me a bad time about not posting pictures, so here it is.

Thanks for the nice comments.

Jan

Comment

Way to go Jan! Impressive. And just the right bird for us Floridians!

Karl
        Karl in Sunny Southwest Florida

Comment

That is very pretty Jan...should fly out of the Gallery very fast.
          Hawaiilad
          Larry

Comment

Very nice Jan. Thanks for posting the picture. It was fun doing these at the same time. I loved the discussions that we had while completing them. I particularly love what you did with the ebonizing. I am going to have to try that one day.
            Tammy

Pressure makes diamonds

Comment

Very nice, I am glad you posted. The blue pine is one of my favorite woods to work with and really suits the Heron.
              Rolf
              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Well done Jan as usual.
                Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Thanks, everyone.
                  @Tammy: I loved the discussions too. It's really fun doing a project like this along with a friend. I learn a lot and I'm glad you feel that way as well.
                  @Rolf: I seem to use a lot of blue pine. Judy at Handsome Woodman and I are on a first name basis now. I enjoy WRC as well, not only because it's easy to cut, but because I can find it in so many different colors. I think choosing colors and learning to use them well is the heart of intarsia for me.

Jan

Comment

Love that blue pine! Another great piece, Jan, it looks great.
                    Maybe you and Tammy should set up shop together.

Nancy in AZ
                    A clean house is a sign of a broken scroll saw!

Comment

Great Job, Jan!

I've done a couple of the JGR herons, but haven't tried this one yet, I'll have to get that pattern.

Beautiful, work, as always.
                      The good woodworker does not craft the wood for honor. He uses his craft to honor the wood.

Comment

Thanks again for all the nice comments.

@tgiro: The pattern is in the April 2010 issue of Creative Woodworks and Crafts Magazine.

Jan

Comment

Jan -- very well done! If you want to give me the bird, I'll send my shipping address.
                          Mtnman Jim

taking life as it comes and trying to make the best of it

Comment

Thanks, Jim. It went to the art shop and from what Larry tells me, it's probably already sold. You can have the next one. I'll let you know when it is.

Jan

Comment

Very nice, Jan.
                              Fran

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• meflick
                                Reply to About ornament exchange and secret Santa exchange
                                by meflick
                                got mine in the mail today. Thanks.Cute and befitting. Now I need to know how it’s made/what it’s made from. (On everyone gets theirs of course.)...
                                Yesterday, 08:21 PM
                              • Jo Labre
                                Reply to Joining the new tool frenzy
                                by Jo Labre
                                At the time I thought "Ah, spit!" (or words like that) and just threw the blade in the garbage. It was the #5 size blade. I suspect it would cost more to have it done than the cost of a new blade. The owners manual is not very helpful, the wording is awkward, having been 'translated' into...
                                Yesterday, 11:13 AM
                              • hotshot
                                by hotshot
                                The brazing process doesn't look too bad. I have seen the welders built into the industrial bandsaws, so out of curiosity, I looked that up and that process is pretty cool to watch also, though trying that on something this small would probably light the whole thing up....
                                Yesterday, 10:14 AM
                              • Rolf
                                by Rolf
                                Jo, I did a bit of research on the web, and there are lots of videos of people silver soldering broken blades. In hindsight I remember I had made a jig eons ago to do just that, when I still had a small Craftsman bench top three wheeler....
                                Yesterday, 09:32 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to About ornament exchange and secret Santa exchange
                                by Rolf
                                I haven't even decided what to make!
                                Yesterday, 09:27 AM
                              Working...
                              X