A question about poplar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about poplar

I've noticed that poplar seems to be the "go to" color for leaves and other green parts for intarsia.

In my experience with popular, I've found that the green color generally goes to brown over time, and wondered how that plays out with the intarsia piece. Is it just expected to happen, or can anything be done to preserve the color?

Thanks.
    Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

I would also be interested in seeing some of that nice green poplar used after a few years of normal exposure to UV . I would think the finish would slow down that color transformation, but I would think it eventually would change. Hopefully Janette has a piece or wo thats been done for a few years and can flop us up a picture.
    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

I've had pieces of poplar that have stayed green for many years, and others that turn kind of greenish brown. mostly the latter...
      I guess it's a crap shoot...
      Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
      No task is too tedious for Art.
      Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
      Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

I have a few finished pieces that are in the 3 year old time frame - they are not exposed to sunlight however, and if anything, I think the color may be a darker green than original.
        Douglas Fraser
        Eagle River, Alaska

My Gallery - Aurora Wood Crafts

Comment

can some one tell me the botanic name of this green poplar as the only poplar ive seen here in oz is sorta creamy white colour
          Tom

Comment

Every project where I have used the poplar the green has gone mostly brown. One project has never been exposed to direct sunlight. In future I will be using Lignum Vitae for the green bits or use a light green Saman wash on the poplar.
            I know the next question, here is the answere before you ask. http://www.samanwoodstain.com/saman-...cts/wood-stain
            Last edited by Rolf; 02-29-2012, 06:49 AM.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I use mostly poplar for my whirligigs and have never had it turn Brown. Could be because I put a primer on it before I give it the finished coat. For the finish I use exterior high gloss oil base paint. It also seems to fair pretty good to the elements.

Mike

Comment

Only recently i managed to get some nice logs of Poplar.......And the duration of green colour....is that a matter of what part of the log or thickness or the age of the tree?
                Or....what kinda finish you put on....i don't know...yet

Danny
                Patterns are for sale on my website http://www.intarsia.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by gippslander View Post
                  can some one tell me the botanic name of this green poplar as the only poplar ive seen here in oz is sorta creamy white colour
                  You are lucky to get the light colored poplar. Hard to find here. Most all of it has some green in it .
                  Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
                  "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

I think like any wood, it will change over time - usually it's so gradual you don't notice it.
                    Janette
                    www.square-designs.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Finn View Post
                      You are lucky to get the light colored poplar. Hard to find here. Most all of it has some green in it .
                      lol jim the grass is always greener on the other side
                      Tom

Comment

Hey Carole and Tom- I just love answering popular questions! - pun intended - LOL!

In my experience with popular, I've found that the green color generally goes to brown over time, and wondered how that plays out with the intarsia piece
                        To comment on both questions - A while back I read up on some interesting info about poplar oxidation and was surprised to find out that what is generally termed poplar in the USA isn't a true poplar but rather a wood known as tulip poplar or yellow poplar and that true poplar is often known as cottonwood. This might well explain why Tom can't find green poplar in the land of Oz - maybe you're looking at real poplar Tom.

I bookmarked two very interesting pages from a site talking about this issue and which also includes examples of 'poplar' oxidation over time. The pages are well worth spending a few mins to look over. As to keeping that green poplar green I use a trick which I picked up from a couple of crafty intarsia artists. I add just a little of alcohol based green stain to my green going on brown poplar to cheat a little!

Links are
                        1) general info on poplar

Exotic Wood poplar

and
                        2) examples of oxidation over time

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/poplar/exposed/index.htm
                        Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                        - Albert Einstein

Comment

Wow, Jim! I just took a quick look at those links, and have to come back later to read more thoroughly. I love detailed information that actually informs!

Are there any limits to the depth of your curiosity and knowledge? I've been impressed over and over, from the pasties to ceramics, to almost anything else!

Are you sure you can't make the meeting at DD in Saratoga Springs?
                          Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Hey Carole - glad you found the links of use.

As to the depths of my curiosity. You really do flatter me. Its nothing special. I just like trying out new things and the searching for information on them when I do and the only thing I consider that I'm maybe naturally blessed with, apart from an insane level of curiosity on most things, is a capacity for absorbing info backed with a good recall ability for things which other folks maybe might consider trivial.

Now - what were you saying........ LOL!

I'd love to make the meeting if I were in your vicinity but I think I have to pass on this occasion. Sorry!
                            Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                            - Albert Einstein

Comment

that clears it up ,now all ive got to do is find some american tulip in australia probably my only chance is if some one has planted one ,thanks for that jim
                              Tom

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
                                Yesterday, 10:01 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                                by will8989
                                Will check out amazon tomorrow. Thanks.
                                Yesterday, 09:53 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by will8989
                                Well, I used to get my shrink wrap rolls from AC Moore, and just used the last roll😟. I use a heat gun but lately and only shrink the Sealife puzzles to keep the pieces in place. I only use it on puzzles because of my display board otherwise I would have broken pieces all over the place. Also easier...
                                Yesterday, 09:49 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                He’s gotten me through some pretty tough times and always has my back so It’s the least I can do. Good thing I had the freezer stocked! That has been a time saver. I made a pot of chili on Sunday and got 6 meals out of it! As for payback, I’m getting a new shed in the spring! I had to do my flap...
                                Yesterday, 09:32 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Sundays market
                                by will8989
                                We did. I only went $40 over budget. I got a 73” x 12” x 3/4” curly cherry for $55. Just needs to be run through the sander and cut to size. It’s a pinkish cherry and is so pretty. A piece of deep red redwood, 2 pieces of walnut each about 12” wide. Good haul.
                                Yesterday, 08:56 PM
                              Working...
                              X