New Inlays - sailboat & birdhouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Inlays - sailboat & birdhouse

The first time that I tried to cut inlays was when the Jim's posted the inlay challenge last summer. Once again, I drew up some patterns from clipart and gave it a try. I still have problems with getting the drill holes angled correctly. I also learned that I should not use a hammer to try to get the inlays to fit together properly. What can I say, it was the last piece of the sailboat & it just was not cut correctly. The hammer did the trick, but I ended up breaking the wood. Good thing that a little glue fixes most things

Also I made the birdhouse because of Jim Mex's comment during the challenge.

Here are my latest attempt at inlays:
    Attached Files
    www.wix.com/tangowooddesign/home-page

Yes hammers will ruin your work quickly. I have tried tapping poplar inlays into cedar and it splits the cedar. I now push it in place... as hard as I can, but do not tap it at all. The way Iget the right angle drilled is: I lay the piece on the tilted saw table and drill streight down with a hand held dremel tool with dill bit in it.
    Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
    "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

Looking good.
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Jim - Thanks for the tip. I have tried hand drilling the wood on top of my angled table, but I also tried angling the drill. I will try drilling straight. And it nice to know that I wasn't the only one to try the hammer routine

Comment

I must admit that in the past, I've used a carving mallet to force a piece in. I've come to realize that it's often better to have the inlay stick up a bit when you cut it. One thing I've noticed is that some woods will swell a bit when the glue is applied. Another thing is when there are many turns in a piece, it's likely that the blade will bend.

I really like your inlays, my favorite is the birdhouse....

Like anything, repetition will help to improve your skills...
          You're off to a great start..!!!
          Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
          No task is too tedious for Art.
          Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
          Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Hammer, oh, how I have been tempted! Now, if it is raised a little I try to sand flush.
            But I must say you did a good job on them. I don't see the crack in the wood.
            Fran

Comment

I find the best way to get a good fit when doing inlay is to use a new blade for each inlay. This keeps the fit consistent. I think the kerf gets worn off of the blades during just one cut. That makes the fit too tight to fit well. I use these used blades for, other than inlay, cuts.
              Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
              "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

Originally posted by JimSawyer View Post
                Another thing is when there are many turns in a piece, it's likely that the blade will bend.

I really like your inlays, my favorite is the birdhouse....

Like anything, repetition will help to improve your skills...
                You're off to a great start..!!!
                Thanks Jim
                My favorite is the sailboat just because I miss the warm summer days on the lake.
                Regarding your comment about the "many turns will cause the blade to bend" - I believe that you found the error of my ways. I tied to keep the blade real tight & cut real slow, so that I wouldn't bend the blade. However I was having a bad day & I should have set it aside. I wanted to finish & ran into the issue of the last piece not fitting. Hence the hammer
                Donna

Comment

Originally posted by Fran1942 View Post
                  Hammer, oh, how I have been tempted! Now, if it is raised a little I try to sand flush.
                  But I must say you did a good job on them. I don't see the crack in the wood.
                  Fran
                  Thanks Fran for a good laugh. I'm glad that you were only tempted to use the Hammer. In the past, I have only been tempted, but I had a bad day at work & the hammer just relieved alittle stress. Of course I had to fix the sailboat. The wood broke right below the large sail. Luckily, I have learned how to fix my errors

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Finn View Post
                    I find the best way to get a good fit when doing inlay is to use a new blade for each inlay. This keeps the fit consistent. I think the kerf gets worn off of the blades during just one cut. That makes the fit too tight to fit well. I use these used blades for, other than inlay, cuts.
                    Thanks Jim for the tip. I was cutting both inlays at the same time & I didn't change the blade. Next time I will try your method.
                    Donna

Comment

Good "ole" hammer. HA I don't do inlays, but, I tried it once. I didn't do it with wood though. I thought if you didn't get it flush, you were to sand it smooth with the other surface. Is that right?
                      PERK

Comment

Perk - yes the idea is if it is not flush, then you should sand it smooth. However mine wasn't fitting together enough. I would have had nothing left if I sanded it smooth. Hense the hammer. I should have taken my time & sanded/filed the edges. It should have then fit together enough to sand smooth, but the hammer seemed like a faster method

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                          Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                          by will8989
                          None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
                          Today, 12:20 AM
                        • Linda In Phoenix
                          by Linda In Phoenix
                          What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                          The bags seem easier on the surface.
                          But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                          Yesterday, 03:24 PM
                        • will8989
                          Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                          by will8989
                          Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                          Yesterday, 10:32 AM
                        • Sandy Oaks
                          by Sandy Oaks
                          As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                          Yesterday, 09:46 AM
                        • NC Scroller
                          Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                          by NC Scroller
                          I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                          Yesterday, 07:42 AM
                        Working...
                        X