New Inlays - sailboat & birdhouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Inlays - sailboat & birdhouse

The first time that I tried to cut inlays was when the Jim's posted the inlay challenge last summer. Once again, I drew up some patterns from clipart and gave it a try. I still have problems with getting the drill holes angled correctly. I also learned that I should not use a hammer to try to get the inlays to fit together properly. What can I say, it was the last piece of the sailboat & it just was not cut correctly. The hammer did the trick, but I ended up breaking the wood. Good thing that a little glue fixes most things

Also I made the birdhouse because of Jim Mex's comment during the challenge.

Here are my latest attempt at inlays:
    Attached Files
    www.wix.com/tangowooddesign/home-page

Yes hammers will ruin your work quickly. I have tried tapping poplar inlays into cedar and it splits the cedar. I now push it in place... as hard as I can, but do not tap it at all. The way Iget the right angle drilled is: I lay the piece on the tilted saw table and drill streight down with a hand held dremel tool with dill bit in it.
    Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
    "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

Looking good.
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Jim - Thanks for the tip. I have tried hand drilling the wood on top of my angled table, but I also tried angling the drill. I will try drilling straight. And it nice to know that I wasn't the only one to try the hammer routine

Comment

I must admit that in the past, I've used a carving mallet to force a piece in. I've come to realize that it's often better to have the inlay stick up a bit when you cut it. One thing I've noticed is that some woods will swell a bit when the glue is applied. Another thing is when there are many turns in a piece, it's likely that the blade will bend.

I really like your inlays, my favorite is the birdhouse....

Like anything, repetition will help to improve your skills...
          You're off to a great start..!!!
          Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
          No task is too tedious for Art.
          Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
          Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Hammer, oh, how I have been tempted! Now, if it is raised a little I try to sand flush.
            But I must say you did a good job on them. I don't see the crack in the wood.
            Fran

Comment

I find the best way to get a good fit when doing inlay is to use a new blade for each inlay. This keeps the fit consistent. I think the kerf gets worn off of the blades during just one cut. That makes the fit too tight to fit well. I use these used blades for, other than inlay, cuts.
              Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
              "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

Originally posted by JimSawyer View Post
                Another thing is when there are many turns in a piece, it's likely that the blade will bend.

I really like your inlays, my favorite is the birdhouse....

Like anything, repetition will help to improve your skills...
                You're off to a great start..!!!
                Thanks Jim
                My favorite is the sailboat just because I miss the warm summer days on the lake.
                Regarding your comment about the "many turns will cause the blade to bend" - I believe that you found the error of my ways. I tied to keep the blade real tight & cut real slow, so that I wouldn't bend the blade. However I was having a bad day & I should have set it aside. I wanted to finish & ran into the issue of the last piece not fitting. Hence the hammer
                Donna

Comment

Originally posted by Fran1942 View Post
                  Hammer, oh, how I have been tempted! Now, if it is raised a little I try to sand flush.
                  But I must say you did a good job on them. I don't see the crack in the wood.
                  Fran
                  Thanks Fran for a good laugh. I'm glad that you were only tempted to use the Hammer. In the past, I have only been tempted, but I had a bad day at work & the hammer just relieved alittle stress. Of course I had to fix the sailboat. The wood broke right below the large sail. Luckily, I have learned how to fix my errors

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Finn View Post
                    I find the best way to get a good fit when doing inlay is to use a new blade for each inlay. This keeps the fit consistent. I think the kerf gets worn off of the blades during just one cut. That makes the fit too tight to fit well. I use these used blades for, other than inlay, cuts.
                    Thanks Jim for the tip. I was cutting both inlays at the same time & I didn't change the blade. Next time I will try your method.
                    Donna

Comment

Good "ole" hammer. HA I don't do inlays, but, I tried it once. I didn't do it with wood though. I thought if you didn't get it flush, you were to sand it smooth with the other surface. Is that right?
                      PERK

Comment

Perk - yes the idea is if it is not flush, then you should sand it smooth. However mine wasn't fitting together enough. I would have had nothing left if I sanded it smooth. Hense the hammer. I should have taken my time & sanded/filed the edges. It should have then fit together enough to sand smooth, but the hammer seemed like a faster method

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jim McDonald
                          Reply to Demo display
                          by Jim McDonald
                          If you just do a Google search for 3d reindeer ornament, you should get several choices....
                          Today, 03:41 PM
                        • Jim McDonald
                          Reply to Woodgrain Worked Against Me
                          by Jim McDonald
                          Woodgrain is like a straw sucking in the pigment, but I think you did a good job on a complex piece. Lots of patience for this pattern.
                          Today, 01:42 PM
                        • Rodney Brown
                          by Rodney Brown
                          Thanks Rolf,
                          I actually tried painting the inside of the cuts before removing the pattern and tape. I initially used packing tape because I was out of painters tape. When I sprayed the cuts, apparently the paint bled into the fibers of the wood. But I have to say I have been redeemed by my wife....
                          Today, 12:56 PM
                        • Rolf
                          by Rolf
                          Nice project, I really like the design. You did use a tough piece of material, I would normally suggest cutting at least 3 layers of 1/8 BB because you will get requests of them. I am curious as to why you got some black bleeding into the grain? Is this mounted on a black backer ?
                          Today, 08:56 AM
                        • Rodney Brown
                          Woodgrain Worked Against Me
                          by Rodney Brown
                          This is my latest project and I'm still up in the air about it. The wood was reclaimed from a table that someone had thrown away. It is 3/4 MDF with veneer on both sides. The project is 11 x 14 and is pretty heavy. The pattern was from "Grandpa" and I believe his real name is Paul. I used...
                          Yesterday, 09:31 PM
                        Working...
                        X